User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2019 11:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:17:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger] [#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine new a couple months ago and have only put a set of MBUS on it and a foregrip. It’s been a great shooter so far and eats mini shells reliably.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Gen one way way back. The older models had feed issues (sold it), newer gens are much more reliable. Drove me nuts that mine didn't have any sort of sling attachment points other than loops.
I mocked up a Magpul style ambi sling point for the rear of mine (used factory through screw holes). Also an ABS cover for the metal cheek weld area. I think there are much better options available now.

They are a lot of fun, sorta miss it. I didn't have the best luck with MBUS sights, it ran really well with an Aimpoint red dot, much faster. The grey color looks great BTW.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:57:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NWPATVsr] [#4]
Have had one for several years with 50-100 rounds fired. No problems. Magpul MBUS's with a fiber-optic front post, Magpul foregrip, Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I added some Magpul parts- sights and XTM rail grip. It has a great feel to it. I had a vertical grip on it but was concerned with the rail being polymer and wound up changing it to the XTM instead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in a rural location as well. Have coyotes, bobcats, etc. around here and have the KSG as well as a Glock as my bedside guns. Works good for me! I'm adding a few pictures if you're short on ideas.

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
A fluff and buff will do more than anything to improve it.
Key is polishing the chamber to smooth up the parkerized surface.  You can also polish the bore if you want, it's also parkerized and the rough surface makes cleaning tougher.
With the chamber polished the complaints about sticking cases pretty much ends.

Among the work I did on mine was to smooth the shell lifter, especially in the curved area at the top-rear.
That's where the op slide operates the lifter and some smoothing of the lifter and rounding and smoothing of the rear of the follower greatly improves smooth operation.
The KSG is a modified Ithaca Model 37 type action and the critical parts of the feed-eject-reset cycle happens in the last 1/2 inch of the rearward operation of the slide, and in the last 1/2 inch of the forward operation of the slide.
Smoothing the contact surfaces can make the KSG so smooth even people totally unfamiliar with the gun can operate it with no problems.
Do a good read on the above linked info on fluffing and buffing.  You can make the gun far smoother to operate with a little work.

Another area I addressed was to cut a "U" shaped notch in the rear of the plastic forearm so it didn't contact the slide release on the front of the trigger guard.
Exactly why the forearm contacts and slightly pushes the slide release down is probably a left-over from the very early design and they didn't want to change the mold to eliminate the contact.
That contact interferes in the critical last 1/2 inch of rearward movement.
Anything that can be done to limit free movement in that critical last 1/2 inch of forearm movement goes a long way to a trouble free gun.

I replaced the standard rubber butt pad with the Kel-Tec factory thicker-wider pad.  This went a long way toward reducing felt recoil.
I saw no need to replace the white plastic mag followers with aluminum or stainless steel followers.
The plastic are good as-as and are self lubricating.
I did clean the tubes and springs and lubricate them with WD-40 Dry Lube with Teflon to prevent rust.

I suggest buying a good magazine cap removal tool.  Eventually you'll need to disassemble the tubes to clean them.  The expedient tool made from a 1/2 inch bolt and two nuts WILL NOT always do the job and can damage the caps.
The caps have Loctite on the threads and light heat may be needed to remove them.  Do some shopping online to find copies of the tool cheaper.....

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-ksg-follower-nut-tool.aspx

DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE TRIGGER GROUP.
There are videos online showing disassembly, but tellingly there are none on REassembly.
Reassembly is HARD to do, and I worried that I'd break the plastic wells for the action pins due to the force needed.
The trigger is already the best bullpup trigger there is, and there's really nothing much that can be improved.

Disassembling the plastic butt section and the forearm section, and removing the trigger group from the gun and using fine sand paper or a fingernail emery board to remove the sharp mold marks, especially around the loading port area makes the gun much more user hand-friendly.

If you want a vertical forearm grip, buy the MagPul VFG.  It's the best and strongest, and spreads the force over a wider area of rail.
The broken off forward grips were on the early guns, and Kel-Tech has beefed up the forearm in that area.
If it still bothers you, there is an aluminum rail that can be bolted to the plastic factory rail to strengthen it.
It's suspected that a number of the broken forearms were done by people using a vertical grip as a handle while they tried to remove the tight muzzle nut and just snapped the grip off, breaking the rail.

What NOT to add....
I don't like the extended magazine switches.
These are just too easy to bump or get caught on something and break it off.  
The bolt that retains it is TINY and if snapped off, it's probably going to need to be sent back to the factory to extract it and install a new one.
I found that I can just reach back with my left hand and hook the factory switch with my index finger and pull it over to the left tube feed position or push it to the right tube.
A little practice with this goes a long way.

I don't like the shell deflectors.
These block access to the magazines and make it harder to load.
I just hold my elbow out to the side slightly and ejected shells don't hit my forearm.
I learned to shoot a rifle with the arm out to the side, so this feels natural to me.

Most muzzle attachments are kind of useless "Tactical" junk, unless it's an interchangeable choke mount.
If you want to add a muzzle attachment...BUY THE SPECIAL WRENCH and be careful.  The muzzle nuts are TIGHT and it's easy to damage the gun trying to break the nut loose.

For sights I didn't want a red dot that needed to be turned on and adjusted, and the pop-up AR type sights are too easy to hit and break off or damage.  They also need to be popped up and I wanted something that was just a fixed sight.
So, I bought an Archangel accessory sight from Brownell's.
The front sight is an AR type orange sight adjustable for elevation, the rear sight is a pistol type sight adjustable for windage.
To protect the rear sight I added Kydex "ears".  I put thinner pieces under the ears to add space so the sight could be moved for windage.
Again, do some online shopping for better prices.....

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-fixed-archangel-auxiliary-sight-prod43817.aspx

You can also buy the sight rail-carry handle for the new Kel-Tec KS7 from Kel-Tec and install it on the KSG.

Here's my set up.........

Watch-outs are that it's way too easy to get confused which magazine tube is feeding what type of shell and fire the wrong type.
Also, in order to change when the chamber is loaded, you have to dump a good round.
Most people wind up treating the KSG as a shotgun that offers the world's fasted reload..... just shoot one tube until empty then switch to the other for an instant "reload".
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Ed, you're in Arizona, you just drive out into the desert, there's your range.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
A holosun circle dot is a nice choice. Circle for shot, center dot for slugs.

Also the KSG seems  like it would be really fun with mini shells.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
This is motivation to dust off the KSG that hasn’t left my safe in 2 years! I’ll follow this thread closely. My additions will probably be limited two an optic and a sling.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shaquanda:
This is motivation to dust off the KSG that hasn’t left my safe in 2 years! I’ll follow this thread closely. My additions will probably be limited two an optic and a sling.
View Quote
^Same here, I am interested in my KSG again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If/when i can come up with the bucks I'm going to buy a new Kel-Tec KS7 shotgun.

This is the simplified/less expensive gun that has a single 7 shot magazine tube that avoids the complications of the double magazine of the KSG.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#15]
Great info on the KSG!!

Got a list of everything you bought?  I saw the pic above but can’t see what a lot of it is.

Got a list of what you used/liked vs what you didn’t use/like?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Patterns w/ different ammo, videos of speed, both operating & reloading...?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EdwardAvila:
I know it’s taken me way longer than expected with this project, but I’ve been playing with parts and I think I have it down.

I can say that with these modifications, this thing has become one of my favorite firearms and I’ve got a few hundred rounds with the mini shells down range.

Two major trade offs, one with my build and one with the KSG in general:

1) Because of my purpose for this gun, which is pest control around the property, I did not fit a light on it, nor do I see a convenient way to add one with the choices I’ve made. If this were a home defense gun, a role I feel would be a great fit for this, then a light would take priority.

2) The benefit of a short package is maneuverability in tight spaces, which is one of the reasons this would make a great home defense weapon. The drawback is that you lose the “pointability” of a long sight radius you get with a traditional shotgun. So while I can’t shoot skeet as well with this, for a tactical role the benefits far outweigh this trade off.

So what I’ll be doing is updating this thread up top with the parts I chose, and the parts I did not choose as well as my thought process.

What I need to come up with what to do with the parts I did not use. Originally I was thinking of giving them away individually, but I haven’t come up with a good mechanism for choosing what goes to who. Another option is to pass them around so people can see and try them before passing along to the next person? I look to you guys to come up with a solution. I want to make sure they go to people that will use them, so post any ideas.
View Quote
For light purposes, the cheap 45 degree offset picatinny mounts on Amazon or similar should allow you to stick a light on the front of the optic rail without blocking line of sight in the least.
Appreciate the review! Been interested in the KSG/KS7 for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a lightly used one today for $530.00. I cleaned it, put a set of sights and a short VFG on it, grabbed a box of Federal 00 buck, and took it down to my range and sighted it in. It runs just fine.

I'm not bothered by getting a bunch of stuff for it, most likely just a plug for the pistol grip and a offset rail mount for a spare TLR 2 I have.

I did replace the plastic magpul sights that were on it with metal, a YHM front and a USMC MI rear that I drilled the peep a bit bigger on. It made a huge difference. Very easy to pick up the sights now.

One thing I did notice and that was it makes a difference where you position the short VFG, the farther forward the better so you can get the leverage needed to properly rack the slide.....It does not like a weak rack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#20]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Great job it looks great I’ve always wanted one just haven’t had the funds for one yet as it hasn’t been high on the priority list.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Saw one of the new single tube magazine jobbers today, handles pretty nicely.  Not very heavy for a 12 ga, though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm intrigued by this 870 clone that runs Saiga mags.  I'm encouraged by more and more manufacturers designing around an existing magazine system.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The black KSG is 649.00 from Sportsmansguide. If you have the buyers club, it drops to 617.00 and you can divide the 617.00 into 4 payments.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
To the OP I have loved my little KSG. I got one the week they were released and mine feeds fine. I have only had two issues, I sheered the teeth off the forearm with Surefire m900 mounted on it. And I have had an issue with a sling being mounted in the front slots getting shreaded by the muzzle blast.  Otherwise mine has run really well. It even eats the Aguilla (sp?) mini-shells giving me around 25 rounds if memory serves me correctly. My experience with Keltec's customer service was awesome, they fixed and had my gun back to me in very short order.

The KSG might be the perfect truck gun but it does need two things:

1. Sight. I have run MBus on mine for a while but I greatly prefer a simple red dot. My Sig Romeo 5 can be found on sale for about $100 often. To me this gun (really any gun) excels with a red dot over traditional sights. You'll run the gun WAY faster and it'll be easier to use at shotgun distances.

2. As much as I hate single point slings, this gun really works well with one. I used a Magpul QD rail mount about dead center and it balances really well.

I love these blasters. Lots of rounds on tap. Mines been reliable even being a Gen 1 and I love the concept of the small package and no NFA crap to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#27]
Originally Posted By scottMO:
The black KSG is 649.00 from Sportsmansguide. If you have the buyers club, it drops to 617.00 and you can divide the 617.00 into 4 payments.
View Quote
Thanks ordered one just now!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m really interested to see how that V6 muzzle brake works out. I might pick one up if for any reason just for the cool tank brake look
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Avila33:

Thanks ordered one just now!
View Quote
Me too, can’t wait.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#31]
Anyone tried one of these handstops from Midwest industries??

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow that would look good on my FDE KSG! Did my background check on it today now the CA 10 day wait...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#33]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The ksg and MI hand stop both arrived this week.  The MI hand stop slides onto the bottom rail and attaches via one screw. It does and have a slight amount of up/down movement/play even when tightened down very hard.  I think it will work just fine as it’s not a piece that will have any pressure on it when the gun is being racked. In looking at it, I think  I’d like to maybe see it attach at the back too with the middle part open so you could have a vertical grip in between the 2 handstop mounting points.  But it really isn’t necessary, and the hand stop won’t have any pressure on it unless your vertical grip breaks.

A magpul RVG arrives tomorrow. On the short list/want list: cheap red dot, kydex cheek piece with neoprene pad and the extended thicker buttpad
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/A505D978-7FEF-4F08-9304-2C242EF27B5A_jpe-1285210.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/6C4B79EE-EAE2-45C7-8E30-C2536C0F939B_jpe-1285211.JPG

The ksg and MI hand stop both arrived this week.  The MI hand stop attaches to the bottom rail via one screw and has a slight amount of movement/play even when tightened down very hard.  I think it will work just fine as it’s not a piece that will have any pressure on it when the gun is being racked..

A magpul RVG arrives tomorrow. On the short list/want list: cheap red dot, kydex cheek piece with neoprene pad and the extended thicker buttpad
View Quote
That’s too bad there is some play on it. Still looks good though! I really want to get this, really just looks cool but price really adds up for an accessory that you have to buy 3 tools to install. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#35]
That’s too bad there is some play on it. Still looks good though! I really want to get this, really just looks cool but price really adds up for an accessory that you have to buy 3 tools to install. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/476203/4AA9EE29-8D6B-4937-A99D-E1206BF5F2AC_jpe-1285292.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/A505D978-7FEF-4F08-9304-2C242EF27B5A_jpe-1285210.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/6C4B79EE-EAE2-45C7-8E30-C2536C0F939B_jpe-1285211.JPG

The ksg and MI hand stop both arrived this week.  The MI hand stop attaches to the bottom rail via one screw and has a slight amount of movement/play even when tightened down very hard.  I think it will work just fine as it’s not a piece that will have any pressure on it when the gun is being racked..

That’s too bad there is some play on it. Still looks good though! I really want to get this, really just looks cool but price really adds up for an accessory that you have to buy 3 tools to install. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/476203/4AA9EE29-8D6B-4937-A99D-E1206BF5F2AC_jpe-1285292.JPG
It’s not bad, and quite frankly won’t be noticed as it’s not a gripping point. It was just noticed during installation.

Those look good and I’ve looked at those too, but at this pace, it’s not gonna be a 600.00 for to much longer, lol...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#36]

View Quote
For a durable but cheap red dot I recommend the Bushnell TRS-25.
I have one I bought years ago on Amazon and it's still working just fine.
Note the many good recommendations, including from people who use it on shotguns shooting slugs and buck.

Just down the page under Frequently bought together are some cheap mounts.  I bought one to give a co-witness with my Colt M4 sights and it hasn't given any trouble.

For a time Bushnell's second version with white lettering gave problems but they've fixed it.  When reading reviews notice the date posted.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Riflescope-1x25mm/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LH8LX5SR39LG&dchild=1&keywords=bushnell+trs25&qid=1582330235&sprefix=bushnell%2Cstripbooks%2C175&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#38]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
We lost Ed Jr.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARFCOM-Founder-Edward-Avila-Passed-Away-Today/5-2312718/?page=1
He lost a hard fought battle with cancer. I had hoped this thread was a sign of things improving.
My condolences and prayers to the Avila family.
View Quote

Same here I checked this thread nearly everyday looking for updates. RIP Ed
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:55:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#39]
Just found this thread. Look like Ed had a lot of fun putting it together.. Had some cool options that didn't exist when I bought mine.

I didn't know Ed had passed.  RIP Ed.

-----------

To add on to a few items that could be done with the KSG.. I had sent out my barrels to be threaded internally so chokes could be installed internally vs an funky external attachment.  Give it an extremely clean look
Also using a Silencerco Salvo on it to suppress it.. it reduces the gap between the Salvo and the barrel.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Final configuration. A big thanks to this thread..
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#42]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
This is now the "Official" KSG build thread in honor of Edward Avila Jr.
View Quote

That’s great! Pin it!

My KSG is all original for now, but the purchase was inspired by Ed and this thread when he started it. I will come back and do some more updates when I can get some upgrades.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll pull mine out and show some of the changes I did 5 years ago.. I did some of the standard stuff like switch extension, metal followers, etc. The thing I loved the most was threading the barrel for an internal choke. I had roseactionsports.com do the threading for a Win-Choke. I wished he was able to do the Benelli threading since i have Benelli chokes, but this was the next best thing.  Not sure if they still offer the service, but the website is still up and their Facebook page is still active. I think I picked them because I saw someone else on ARFCOM do a barrel threading. They charged under $80 for a 2 week turnaround time.. but that was 5 years ago.

Any case I ordered the MCARBO trigger and spring since I'd prefer a metal trigger over plastic. Thanks Ed!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Finished 2+ years ago
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Great build.  Im in the market for one of these.  Currently have a trade offer thats a  bit too steep.  

Waiting on my Fabarm STF12, but still love the total length and capacity here.

Happy to take one off anyone's hands, stock or not - but meanwhile great parts list.  That M-lok add-on is sex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top