Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 12:51:30 AM EDT
I have two M1As. First is a standard model. I bought it used as part of a package off Gunbroker. Once I parted out all the extras I was only into it for $700. I sent it off to Warbird and had a couple parts refinished and a Criterion chrome lined barrel added. I wanted this to be my “rifleman’s rifle.” It has never disappointed me and even just as it is I can clover leaf groups at 100 yards with irons, if I do my part. My second is a SOCOM 16. I added the M14.CA SHG and mounted a Trijicon MRO on that. I’m about to swap out the synthetic Camo stock for a USGI birch. I deer hunt with it, shoot rifle side matches with it. The SOCOM is kinda my go to. A few years back when I was unemployed, I sold a few guns to make ends meet. The only gun I sold at that time that I felt raw about was my SOCOM. Needless to say, when I had the means again, a replacement SOCOM was at the top of my list. I’ve got it set up just how I want it, too, with the birch and red dot.
Now I find myself at a crossroads. If I go to shoot any M1A it’s always my SOCOM. The standard just sits. I feel like selling but when I get it out to ponder parting with it, i find myself loving the feeling of that “rifleman’s rifle.” So I’m on the fence. I love it, but I don’t shoot it. The money could go to other projects. I’d still have my SOCOM. I’m just not sure what to do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep it. Don't sale it unless you really really need the money.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed!  The Standard is a Classic that still really performs...

I know the AR-10 is more versatile, but dang if a M-1A isn't still a sweet & accurate shooting gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep it. Put some wood on it and make it pretty...

Here's my Scout:

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Only sell guns when you have no alternative.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep the standard M1A.  It's a great, classic rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO.  Sell it and get something you will use.

No reason to have something you don't shoot.

If it was an older Preban with USGI parts I would have a hard time letting it go, due to the rarity.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Like has been said in several other threads recently:

Even if "sell it" is a right answer, "sell it now" is almost certainly not.  The used gun market now is very soft.  If you decide to sell it, do so at the right time- they seem to roll around every few years, unfortunately...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like it, even if it's not getting shot, it's likely not hurting you to keep it. I have quite a few that just sit around and don't get shot. There is nothing wrong with that. Ever see those great condition old lever action rifles come up for sale? They sat for years, they didn't get used and it didn't hurt them. It's just a matter of holding on to them. If you're hard up for cash... that's a different story. Sell it and move on. I may one day end up giving one of my M1A's to my nephew so he'll have a great rifle. It won't hurt to hold on to it. There's a few distinct personality types here in on arfcom.

Bunch of guns in collection. Some used a lot. Some sit. Some are investments. Some are faimily items. There is quite a bit of money tied up in this one.

Others that are I have one carry pistol and one HD rifle. Everything else is a waste of money and my guru I follow says this is all I need.

Some that are just starting and can't afford a whole lot and want more. Or have been shooting a while and want more but the funds aren't there.

I think the preferable spot to be in is the first one. If you have the means to let it sit. Then enjoy it on your terms.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep it.  I'm kind of in the same boat as you, with a M1A standard with NM sights, and then a Scout rifle.  I take the scout out just about every chance I get, but am not getting rid of the M1A NM.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are a collector, an M1A is a worthy gun to collect.

If you are a shooter, and you possess any gun that you never shoot, its just a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep it. Put some wood on it and make it pretty...

Here's my Scout:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5521/10023623575_1b058f3edc_b.jpg
View Quote
Well... I blame you for adding a scout length M1A/M14 to my never ending list of projects...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I find myself loving the feeling of that “rifleman’s rifle.” So I’m on the fence. I love it, but I don’t shoot it. The money could go to other projects.
View Quote
I think you answered your own question.  If you love it, keep it.  NOT shooting it won't diminish its value one bit, assuming it's stored well.  As far as the money... if the project is important, you'll allocate the money from something else.

I've bought and sold a bunch of M1's over the years.  Only a handful ever really go to the range; but the ones I keep that don't get shot, are the ones I like.  The ones that got moved on to other owners just had no appeal, for various reasons... so out the door they went.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Springfield standard blue that I bought between marriages because I wanted one and nobody could tell me not toas it was my money. Then a friend gave me a Polytech and I had Warbirds put on criterion barrel and a Bula bolt and replace a few parts. I rarely shoot either rifle but I am keeping both.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#15]
2 is one and 1 is none.  If for some reason you had something bad happen to your Socom, you'd have a back up.  Like, it falls out of the tree and lands on a big rock and the barrel snaps....  You know something that probably won't ever happen but could.    If you don't need the money, I'd say keep it.  I do think there is wisdom in having a  back up of the same gun of one you find useful.  Even if it is for just parts in a pinch....
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep it.

I've sold too many guns I wish I'd kept including a beautiful James River M14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top