Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2020 12:26:43 PM EDT
I just bought a RDB and really like how compact it is. What should I expect out of it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Save the box so you can send it back for warranty work you’ll need it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not been my experience, but whatever...

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems with mine either.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ignore the naysayers; it's the best bullpup on the market.

Expect to loc-tite all your screws.  And expect 3-4MOA accuracy.  Expect to have nasty jams while dialing in the gas system.

Expect to wish the same gun had someone else's brand on it, because you're gonna want to show it off, but be exasperated by naysayers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you. I know it's not going to be a tack driver but 3-4 MOA is acceptable. Thanks for the tip on the screws.
I can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has worked fine and I have shot quite a bit through it including suppressed. Definitely get the gas system tuned for it. Only had cycling issues. Never any jams.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two, a relatively early 17.4" barrel model, and a more recent 20" barrel model. The 17.4" is slightly more accurate, and shoots about 1.7 moa consistently. The 20" gun basically shoots 2 moa, I assume because of more barrel whip.

I think the trigger is pretty great. My 17.4" gun had to go back to the factory immediately because of a hammer issue but has been perfectly reliable since I got it back (~1800 rounds so far). To their credit Kel-Tec customer service was great. My 20" gun has been perfect out of the box (~1100 rounds).

I know the RDB doesn't have the combat pedigree of the AUG, Tavor, and FS2000...but I find myself shooting my RDBs more than my three more storied bullpups. That being said I can't shake the distinct, let's call it commercial, quality of the RDB. I'd trust the RDB for home defense, but if I had to go spend time on a two-way range I'd still grab an AUG. I do wish FN or Colt or someone would use Kel-Tec as a design house.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for more I formation!    I want one !! OP is on to something goooood!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Really like mine.

Lightest bullpuo out there, adjustable gas and great trigger by bullpuo standards.

That said, it's a Kel-Tec.  I could never trust it any further than I could throw it.  It's a range toy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Kel-Tec has a rep for making stuff that is cheap shit but I have never had an issue with one of their products not working well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
By far my most favorite 5.56 to shoot suppressed. If you dial the gas right, you'll be fine.

I wouldnt be my first choice to take to war, but would have no reservations using it for home defense.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
By far my most favorite 5.56 to shoot suppressed. If you dial the gas right, you'll be fine.

I wouldnt be my first choice to take to war, but would have no reservations using it for home defense.
View Quote
+1 for locktighting the screws.  Don't wear white shirts to the range. Don't shoot topless. Rdb heats up quick but is a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have two, a relatively early 17.4" barrel model, and a more recent 20" barrel model. The 17.4" is slightly more accurate, and shoots about 1.7 moa consistently. The 20" gun basically shoots 2 moa, I assume because of more barrel whip.

I think the trigger is pretty great. My 17.4" gun had to go back to the factory immediately because of a hammer issue but has been perfectly reliable since I got it back (~1800 rounds so far). To their credit Kel-Tec customer service was great. My 20" gun has been perfect out of the box (~1100 rounds).

I know the RDB doesn't have the combat pedigree of the AUG, Tavor, and FS2000...but I find myself shooting my RDBs more than my three more storied bullpups. That being said I can't shake the distinct, let's call it commercial, quality of the RDB. I'd trust the RDB for home defense, but if I had to go spend time on a two-way range I'd still grab an AUG. I do wish FN or Colt or someone would use Kel-Tec as a design house.
View Quote

They're more accurate than 3-4moa, but that's the practical safe bet because the barrel isn't floated.  Nothing about the design suggests it can't do 2moa, provided the forearm pressure is consistent (but it's hard to do that in practice)

I really wish FNH or better yet B&T would buy a license for the design.

-modular, simpler, trigger group, select fire option
-floated front end
-simpler 3-pos gas valve with suppressed setting
-QD silencer mount brake
-fiber reinforced lower receiver
-titanium sheet upper receiver
-hammer forged barrel
-loaded chamber indicator
-cheek rest pad that can slide back to view/access chamber
-positive detent on magazine latch, and an articulated rather than flexible latch arm design (like a dog bone lever thing)

Ta-dah, modern service arm fit for any soldier, that probably only costs twice as much to produce as the current RDB.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I had two, an early one (sub-1000 SN) and a later one.

"Nasty jams" is right; without enough gas, it will short stroke and probably jam a cartridge in the crevice around the chamber area, and require disassembly (not a very neat process) to clear.  The gas knob is rather too easy to turn accidentally, so I'd suggest witness marks with paint after you have it tuned where you want it.

Within a couple hundred rounds, I had a pin in the bolt walk out (extractor pin? I forget) and lock up the rifle.  Pin was bent, so I turned a replacement and made sure it fit tighter than the original part.   No issues after that.

If you're shooting prone or from a bench, have a plan to deal with the ejected cartridges or you'll likely end up with burned elbows.

2 MOA was about the best I could do with the 1-6x I had mounted on it, shooting Wolf Gold.

I ended up selling one and keeping one, and I think they are about the handiest bullpup I have, at least in .223.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one, it functioned fine but I only put around 200 or so rounds through it. I bought it mainly for silencer use (no chamber noise!), but the port pop was noticeable also.

I decided to sell it while market was good, and maybe pick up a S model later, but I want to handle one before buying it and no one has had one in stock locally at all. The stock is different enough that I'm not sure I'll like it or not, and don't want to bother trying to recover money if it sucks. I have enough 223's already anyway. Selling rifles online is irritating due to shipping them, so another hurdle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Yes i do agree it is the handiest bullpup on the market,and yes I will be painting where my gas setting is. I love the trigger and also the compactness of it. I will be glad when I get to shoot it. I think it will for what I will be doing with it (punching paper), it will be fine. I do think that it would make a pretty decent duty rifle for someone who doesn't want an AR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The second thing I do with a new gun after clean/lube is to torque all screws and put a drop of Loctitte 290 on them.  That's damned near mandatory when your RDB is held together by a crapton of threaded fasteners.  On a good day mine will stay around 2-2.5MOA with its favorite handload.  Tula steel 75gr is around 3-4".
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Total bulshit.  Mines been flawless for 5k so far.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine has been great and have had it for years. No issues. No better suppressor host out there in semi auto world. I get 1.75-2.5 moa depending on ammo. Have not reloaded for it though and expect i could do better but i dont see the point. Its basically a sub machine gun sized gun that has rifle power.

Dont believe the gun snobs out there, it really is great and better than quite a few guns that military's have issued to their troops in the last 50 years. No gun is perfect but the rdb does some great things at a very affordable price.

If you shoot suppressed it will take some time to find that sweet spot cycling suppressed and unsuppressed and it is a pain to remove stuck cases.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I heard the RDB's didn't have issues like other KT.  I personally will never buy another KT product ever.  I've owned a bunch and I just don't trust them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top