Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
Saw a thing where folks were getting rid of their aftermarket stocks due to damage they cause.

What’s the skinny on this? Are KDG stocks gtg?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The kdg stock is an acr stock with the acr hinge removed and replaced by a hinge made by kdg for the scar.  It's a substantial improvement.  The only issue is it will not fold flat to the receiver unless you remove the shell deflector.  I removed my deflector and haven't had issues yet.

Would like a link to reports of actual scar owners who have had damaged rifles from keg stocks.  Reports from 14 year olds damaging their pixelated ps4 guns or airsoft mall ninjas don't count.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been reports of aluminum stock adapters causing the rear receiver screws to loosen / cant
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kdg stock is an acr stock with the acr hinge removed and replaced by a hinge made by kdg for the scar.  It's a substantial improvement.  The only issue is it will not fold flat to the receiver unless you remove the shell deflector.  I removed my deflector and haven't had issues yet.

Would like a link to reports of actual scar owners who have had damaged rifles from keg stocks.  Reports from 14 year olds damaging their pixelated ps4 guns or airsoft mall ninjas don't count.
View Quote
http://fnforum.net/forums/scar-accessories-scopes-mods/79678-kdg-stock.html#/topics/79678?page=2

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/SCAR-17s-and-KDG-stock-issues-/24-472244/
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
After reading those threads, I'm unconcerned.  Screws in machinery under recoil type forces will only be damaged or cause damage if not properly torqued and then staked or loctited.  Since all the fasteners in my both my scars are properly torqued and loctite is applied I have zero concern.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered mine yesterday.  I hope there is no issue.  Maybe worse for a scar 17?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I have seen and heard there is no issue with the 16. For the 17 I have never heard of damage only canted screws but mine came from the factory that way so I can’t comment on that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Stage 1: Denial

Facts don't care about feelings and physics is not influenced by concern, so lets focus our attention on the facts of the physics involved. Whether a conscious engineering decision by FN or not, we know the OEM stock utilizes a polymer baseplate to retain the action's return spring assembly and terminate the rearward travel of the bolt carrier group under recoil. That transmission of energy is working to shear against the five fasteners which secure the backplate and stock baseplate to the receiver.

Plug different values into the same variable of any equation and you will inevitably end up with a different result. Likewise, you can not change the material construction of any one of these parts and not expect said alteration to have a performance impact on the rest.

In this case, FN's polymer base plate absorbs and rebounds more of the impact energy than does an aluminum constructed part of the same exterior dimensions. That's not a shattering scientific discovery, but more like stating the obvious. The energy has to go somewhere and that somewhere is your backplate retention screws, regardless of their torque value.

Handle Defense once offered an aluminum hinge plate similar to KDG. They ceased producing that product citing the reasoning above. Although it's possible they're just Call of Duty playing airsofters, I am one for certain.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to be a party pooper, but is there anything even wrong with the OEM stock? I'm a fool for replacing crap, and mine seems fine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Ran across similar info a bit ago, it concerned me enough that I switched back to the OEM stock on my 17. Hadn't fired the SCAR after having attached the KDG stock, so can't comment on having any issues.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not to be a party pooper, but is there anything even wrong with the OEM stock? I'm a fool for replacing crap, and mine seems fine.
View Quote
No. Most people just think it's flimsy. I run the OEM stock and prefer it. I've shot the KDG, don't like the cheek weld.

The only thing I'd like different about the OEM stock is a butt pad that is a bit more narrow.

"Muh stock might break!" - This is the primary logic of people who buy the KDG stock.

Then buy a spare. They're cheap and people sell them all of the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not at all! Have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought a SCAR 17 a while back and immediately hated the original stock. I installed the KDG stock and bearing in mind possible canting issues I installed a set of KDG rear QD mounts to reinforce the rear screws. Fired 300 rounds from the bench and ran it through a Vickers Carbine class with no detrimental effect (no screw canting or warping of the rear plate that fits against the receiver).

However, after the class I felt the KDG stock wasn't for me. The LOP was too short for me when I went prone so I decided to swap out the KDG with a custom AR stock adapter in conjunction with a MagPul STR stock. The stock adapter has an aluminium interface as well and after another several hundred rounds everything is still good to go. I do use a feeler gauge from time to time to see if there is any deflection of the rear plate but everything is good so far.

I realize this is anecdotal and a sample of one but IMO the KDG rear QD sockets help a lot in preventing the rear screws from canting.

I intend to buy another AR stock adapter for my other SCAR 17 as soon as they become available.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have a 16, but I have been wanting one. The KDG stock is supposed to be 6-8 oz lighter than a factory unit. I always wanted one because I thought it may help balance one out if you shortened the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. Most people just think it's flimsy. I run the OEM stock and prefer it. I've shot the KDG, don't like the cheek weld.

The only thing I'd like different about the OEM stock is a butt pad that is a bit more narrow.

"Muh stock might break!" - This is the primary logic of people who buy the KDG stock.

Then buy a spare. They're cheap and people sell them all of the time.
View Quote
I replaced the oem stock because i find it uncomfortable and clumsy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Had one on a used 17s I bought. Didnt like LOP and hated the cheek weld. Went back to OEM. While it may feel cheap, FN put a lot of RD into it and I haven't seen many cases of it failing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top