Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks all for the kind words.
I was being humorously overly-dramatic in my "I'm the worst guy in the world" thing, I obviously do need to stay aware of what the public perception of products/situations might be, and that's primarily on the internet.
I don't know if any of you have ever seen the "r/KAC" Reddit, but it is nearly unreadable for anyone that has an emotional maturity and logic capability above that of a Cocker Spaniel. They're #bigmad about it, and various other social media repositories have latched on as well. It is what it is, we knew it was going to suck. I can separate emotion from things that are out of my control.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Optimal:
Probly the qdc adds a bit of ass to it. Huxwrx cans are a thread on design.  Are the kac cans titanium?
View Quote

The QDC line in general are built for long-term professional use with high-density firing schedules that include full-auto.
While we aren't intentionally adding weight, to get that kind of durability you have to manage heat and how that heat moves through the material and the design features.
You need to have pathways for pressure and heat, and you need to have them at the right size and shape to do their job and resist clogging.
KAC prioritizes durability and lasting performance over weight, based on the needs of the customers that we make these for.
If you want a lightweight titanium suppressor, there are companies that make those, it's just not what we're focused on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
P.S.  Now that we all still love knights, release the KS-1 in both rifle and upper, thank you.
View Quote

Since you asked nicely, we'll do it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jack_L:
Thanks all for the kind words.
I was being humorously overly-dramatic in my "I'm the worst guy in the world" thing, I obviously do need to stay aware of what the public perception of products/situations might be, and that's primarily on the internet.
I don't know if any of you have ever seen the "r/KAC" Reddit, but it is nearly unreadable for anyone that has an emotional maturity and logic capability above that of a Cocker Spaniel. They're #bigmad about it, and various other social media repositories have latched on as well. It is what it is, we knew it was going to suck. I can separate emotion from things that are out of my control.

View Quote

That essentially describes all of Reddit. I don’t know how anyone can stand that place.

Keep your head up. Y’all are doing the right thing and reasonable people understand that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mdavis:

Is the Mod 2 CQB interference present on all CQB uppers or just some? If the latter, any idea why it’s not a universal issue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is incorrect.
We identified an issue and implemented a check to preclude that issue from moving forward in the production process.

That is accurate.

We did test it on everything. We did identify that there was a potential interference issue with the 11.5 Mod 2 CQB upper with that locking collar. I am the single most responsible person for not getting that information out to customers before their suppressors arrived at their SOT. There are reasons for that, however, it doesn't matter and the net result is that people are experiencing a compatibility issue that was avoidable and easily corrected with adequate information.

Is the Mod 2 CQB interference present on all CQB uppers or just some? If the latter, any idea why it’s not a universal issue?

@Jack_L Tagging you to see what you think about my question above. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresampleDepot] [#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IwasBrian] [#7]
Not seeing these new suppressors in Silencer Shop. Not even listed. Can’t do an in stock notification. Is Silencer Shop not on the list to get any of the new KAC cans ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Embittered] [#8]
Originally Posted By IwasBrian:
Not seeing these new suppressors in Silencer Shop. Not even listed. Can’t do an in stock notification. Is Silencer Shop not on the list to get any of the new KAC cans ?
View Quote

Silencer Shop already started fulfilling dealer orders.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By duckhook02:
I've got both the CRS and MCQ suppressors on a pending Form 4 and received the letter today from KAC regarding the PRT recall.  I'm curious from anyone with an engineering and/or 3D printing background as to how these suppressors can even be repaired.  The KAC letter doesn't go into detail regarding the specific issue driving the recall, but does note they've changed their production process going forward to alleviate the issue.  Should I be overly concerned with whether a defective suppressor can be repaired to function as properly as the new ones with the updated production process?

In full disclosure I have NO idea what it takes to construct/produce a suppressor.

Thoughts from those way smarter than me??
View Quote

Wow. Why am I not surprised? Definitely putting my QDC 556 for sale on gunbroker now
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_L] [#10]
@Jack_L Tagging you to see what you think about my question above. Thanks!
View Quote

It won't necessarily effect every Mod 2 CQB, but as Presample said, it does look like about 80% are likely to have interference.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Jack and KAC for handling this the right way. I emailed the address as instructed. Given the proactiveness and communication, I have every confidence this will be handled well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Is KAC able to produce this faster than legacy cans because they're 3D printed?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Embittered] [#14]
Originally Posted By McD18:
Is KAC able to produce this faster than legacy cans because they're 3D printed?
View Quote

The back half (blast baffle/collar half) is still welded on, which is likely a consideration for production throughput…though overall there’s obviously less time spent welding per can.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the life expectancy of these cans the same as the prior QDC's? And can they be repaired or recored?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:
Is the life expectancy of these cans the same as the prior QDC's? And can they be repaired or recored?
View Quote

According to KAC's product brochure, the life of the PRT suppressors is longer than that of the legacy QDC ones.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone got their RMA at this point?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Told me to get my FFL/SOT to do it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I emailed repairs link on KAC website about 5 days ago with who what I was and needed stated it would be used on an 11.5 etc. per the recall notice and have not gotten a reply yet so I was wondering this as well. Wasn’t it said the 7th RMAs would go out to individuals who requested them?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I emailed last week. Heard from them yesterday. As the other poster noted, they had me loop in my SOT.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:15:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lthrneck-03] [#21]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:
I emailed last week. Heard from them yesterday. As the other poster noted, they had me loop in my SOT.
View Quote

Good deal did you go to the repairs email link at KAC?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lthrneck-03:
I emailed repairs link on KAC website about 5 days ago with who what I was and needed stated it would be used on an 11.5 etc. per the recall notice and have not gotten a reply yet so I was wondering this as well. Wasn’t it said the 7th RMAs would go out to individuals who requested them?
View Quote

If the suppressor is with an SOT, we need to work with them to bring the can in and out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#23]
The one person who handles RMAs, along with other duties, was on vacation for a week and a half and came back on the 7th. Dude came back to about 800 emails and a bunch of voicemails.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:43:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#24]
Originally Posted By SxPxDx:
The one person who handles RMAs, along with other duties, was on vacation for a week and a half and came back on the 7th. Dude came back to about 800 emails and a bunch of voicemails.
View Quote

Exactly. We live in a world where people expect things to happen instantly. Sometimes people forget there are actual humans on the other side of things. It’s not like form 4s are going through in mere days anyway.

Edit: this can be done while a form 4 is pending right? Because it’s still on the SOT books, being temporarily returned for repair and therefore no transfer has occurred? I know ATF has said no form 5 for repair of NFA items, but i know my SOT had some questions about how to handle this.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#25]
...this can be done while a form 4 is pending right? Because it’s still on the SOT books, being temporarily returned for repair and therefore no transfer has occurred? I know ATF has said no form 5 for repair of NFA items, but i know my SOT had some questions about how to handle this.
View Quote

Correct.
No transfer is taking place, we can bring it in, do what needs to be done, and shoot it right back to the SOT.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:30:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lthrneck-03] [#26]
Mine is at SOT understand human error 800 emails and voicemails standby to standby no problem here was inquiring though if I needed to do something different and if it had begun was all and I will bring it to my SOTs attention what will have to happen.

I bought the suppressor from an out of state dealer and thought he might end up with an RMA for it because of him being the OG possessor. Thus him having one for me requesting another that’s the confusion I wanted avoid.

Jack_L just got a reply from KAC customer service!

Outstanding! Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#27]

Correct.
No transfer is taking place, we can bring it in, do what needs to be done, and shoot it right back to the SOT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
...this can be done while a form 4 is pending right? Because it’s still on the SOT books, being temporarily returned for repair and therefore no transfer has occurred? I know ATF has said no form 5 for repair of NFA items, but i know my SOT had some questions about how to handle this.

Correct.

Thanks Jack. I will point them here if needed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duckhook02] [#28]

Exactly. We live in a world where people expect things to happen instantly. Sometimes people forget there are actual humans on the other side of things. It’s not like form 4s are going through in mere days anyway.

Edit: this can be done while a form 4 is pending right? Because it’s still on the SOT books, being temporarily returned for repair and therefore no transfer has occurred? I know ATF has said no form 5 for repair of NFA items, but i know my SOT had some questions about how to handle this.
View Quote

I posted a message after 4 days since he was back and not hearing a response...don't think that is unreasonable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 5:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_InfantryWeapons] [#29]
Delete
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]

I posted a message after 4 days since he was back and not hearing a response...don't think that is unreasonable.
View Quote

Email me and I’ll make sure it was received.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know if you can or can't start the form 4 for a can that has to be sent back. Will the serial change? Didn't get an answer via email.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Wctrirn:
Anyone know if you can or can't start the form 4 for a can that has to be sent back. Will the serial change? Didn't get an answer via email.
View Quote

You can start the form 4. You will be receiving the same SN back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lthrneck-03] [#34]
Jack_L

OK hit an issue. Wasn’t with RMA but paperwork talked to CS all good disregard PM sent.

Thanks

S/F
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Will the suppressor be modified if we indicated it will be used with a mod 2 cqb?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:45:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#36]
Will we get some sort of documentation if there was an issue with the can and that the issue was fixed, or do we just get a can back?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TGreg:
Will the suppressor be modified if we indicated it will be used with a mod 2 cqb?
View Quote

We'll give some options for use on the Mod 2 CQB with 10.75" URX4.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Will we get some sort of documentation if there was an issue with the can and that the issue was fixed, or do we just get a can back?
View Quote

There will be a "P" laser marked on the rear support to indicate that the suppressor has passed testing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#39]

There will be a "P" laser marked on the rear support to indicate that the suppressor has passed testing.
View Quote

Perfect. Thanks Jack!
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there a timeline for the RMA to be completed?

I got a 762 QDC/CRS about a month ago (5/18) from NS Armory that I was told was held back from shipping to him due to the discovery of the issues, so I'm waiting on the RMA and at least one more form 3 before I can get my form 4 wait started...
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sandervitreus:
Is there a timeline for the RMA to be completed?

I got a 762 QDC/CRS about a month ago (5/18) from NS Armory that I was told was held back from shipping to him due to the discovery of the issues, so I'm waiting on the RMA and at least one more form 3 before I can get my form 4 wait started...
View Quote

These should be in and out in less than 10 working days. We are sequencing arrivals to avoid a log-jam.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:26:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sandervitreus] [#42]
So theoretically if my can never left Knight's it should be early on in the pile?

Sounds good though. Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sandervitreus:
So theoretically if my can never left Knight's it should be early on in the pile?

Sounds good though. Thanks for the update
View Quote

Yes, anything in our inventory at the time of the recall was subjected to the conformance test and marked.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#44]
As a Mod 2 11.5" CQB owner and someone on multiple QDC CRS PRT wait lists, is this an issue that will require further action from me or will future batches of these be re-worked to clear the URX4? As I understand it there are two seperate issues here;

(1) An additional test needs to be performed on all released PRT suppressors.
(2) Due to insufficient clearance between the PRT 5.56 suppressors and the URX4 on the 11.5" CQB there is high chance that the two will make contact.

I understand that (1) will be addressed in all future suppressors coming out of KAC, but I'm looking for reassurance that (2) will also be resolved.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_L] [#45]
Originally Posted By 71firebird400:
As a Mod 2 11.5" CQB owner and someone on multiple QDC CRS PRT wait lists, is this an issue that will require further action from me or will future batches of these be re-worked to clear the URX4? As I understand it there are two seperate issues here;

(1) An additional test needs to be performed on all released PRT suppressors.
(2) Due to insufficient clearance between the PRT 5.56 suppressors and the URX4 on the 11.5" CQB there is high chance that the two will make contact.

I understand that (1) will be addressed in all future suppressors coming out of KAC, but I'm looking for reassurance that (2) will also be resolved.
View Quote

When these are being sent in for the recall check we are polling to see what's going to be used on an 11.5 Mod 2 with URX4 and they will be given some options.
The fastest solution is to additionally shim the muzzle device for clearance (only .075 is needed), or replace the locking collar, or update to the URX6 (KS-3 configuration).
Replacing the locking collar only requires a small flat-head screwdriver.
Personally, I would replace the URX4 with the URX6, as it permits use of the shroud.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#46]

When these are being sent in for the recall check we are polling to see what's going to be used on an 11.5 Mod 2 with URX4 and they will be given some options.
The fastest solution is to additionally shim the muzzle device for clearance (only .075 is needed), or replace the locking collar, or update to the URX6 (KS-3 configuration).
Replacing the locking collar only requires a small flat-head screwdriver.
Personally, I would replace the URX4 with the URX6, as it permits use of the shroud.
View Quote

1) Do you need to have a notched receiver in order to replace the URX4 with a URX6? I have several non-notched CQBS.
2) Will this replacement locking collar be sold to the public, or is this an RMA accessory only?
2) If you replace the locking collar on the suppressor, can you then use the shroud? Or is the shroud a no go still.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_L] [#47]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:
1) Do you need to have a notched receiver in order to replace the URX4 with a URX6? I have several non-notched CQBS.
2) Will this replacement locking collar be sold to the public, or is this an RMA accessory only?
2) If you replace the locking collar on the suppressor, can you then use the shroud? Or is the shroud a no go still.
View Quote

Yes, a notched upper is needed for the URX6, but we will make those available for folks that want to update upper assemblies that are un-notched.
Yes, the short collars will be commercially released. The locking collars of the previous generation will also work.
Only the "long" collar with the raised interface pads will work with the shroud. This is 50% of the reason that I advise the update to the URX6 for CQB uppers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Yes, a notched upper is needed for the URX6, but we will make those available for folks that want to update upper assemblies that are un-notched.
Yes, the short collars will be commercially released. The locking collars of the previous generation will also work.
Only the "long" collar with the raised interface pads will work with the shroud. This is 50% of the reason that I advise the update to the URX6 for CQB uppers.
View Quote

Jack in order to update to the urx6 for the cqb, what is needed? I have one of the new cans coming to my sot.
Thx
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#49]
As much as I would like this opportunity to change my mod 2 unnotched upper and urx 4 to a 6, I’m putting mine on a 14.5. If I were offered the opportunity to have the parts switched I would, but I am not going to take the place of someone who needs it for compatibility of their gun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
Jack in order to update to the urx6 for the cqb, what is needed? I have one of the new cans coming to my sot.
Thx
View Quote

The URX6 upgrade kits will be made available to the commercial market.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top