Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2018 12:19:39 AM EDT
I have been tossing the idea around of getting a RC and rebarreling it to something more efficient,

has anybody rebarreled to somthing a little more mordern, and if so how did it work out? I kinda find the idea of  a 6.5x47 pretty apealing
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen old re-barrel's. I actually have one in the collection that was re-chambered for 8mm-06 (kept original barrel, so externally the only tell tale sign is the 8mm-06 stamped discretely on the side of the barrel), and of course using milsurp actions to build sporters was common back in the 50's-70's when the actions/rifles were available and cheap....

And re-barreling an RC doesn't hurt anything...

But I guess I am curious as to why? I mean, a bolt action is pretty much a bolt action, so unless its just for the mystique of having a military trim 98k, I'd think there are better and likely cheaper options out there...

Don't get me wrong, it would make a fine action to go with...

Maybe go with the tried and rue, 8mm-06, big ass 30-06 case necked up to 8mm, more powder pushing a bigger heavier bullet, lots of energy, and it only requires a chamber reaming....
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#2]
8mm Mauser is pretty efficient, but if you want 6.5mm. Why not 6.5x55 Swede? Should be able to make it pretty efficient in a K98.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen old re-barrel's. I actually have one in the collection that was re-chambered for 8mm-06 (kept original barrel, so externally the only tell tale sign is the 8mm-06 stamped discretely on the side of the barrel), and of course using milsurp actions to build sporters was common back in the 50's-70's when the actions/rifles were available and cheap....

But I guess I am curious as to why? I mean, a bolt action is pretty much a bolt action, so unless its just for the mystique of having a military trim 98k, I'd think there are better and likely cheaper options out there...

Maybe go with the tried and rue, 8mm-06, big ass 30-06 case necked up to 8mm, more powder pushing a bigger heavier bullet, lots of energy, and it only requires a chamber reaming....
View Quote
i think that in terms of what i am looking for, A tough, reliable, basic rifle with iron sights. I like the concept of the Mossberg MVP but honestly,  the stock feels cheep, the trigger is meh, and the bolt feels sloppy. I like the Tikka Artic but its pushing 2 grand and only availible in 308

A 500 dollar 98k and few hunderd bucks for a rebarrel gives me everything the Tikka does with better round.

Well my thoughts are this, Its getting tough to find a 98k with a good barrel these days, Most that i have checked out with decent barrels are numbers matching and more than i really want to pay for it.  8mm has dried up, while i plan to reload for it 8mm bullets are pretty behind the times are in terms of both internal and external balistics.

After thinking about it, I think a 30-06 with 212 eld-m would be a nice combo as well
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
8mm Mauser is pretty efficient, but if you want 6.5mm. Why not 6.5x55 Swede? Should be able to make it pretty efficient in a K98.
View Quote
Thats an option as well. just trying to see what you guys have had luck with in the past
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I rebarrelled my RC K98k to an intermediate cartridge, 6mm Remington.

I had to have a gunsmith install a chamber block to ensure the bullets would not slide forward under recoil, of which there is admittedly very little.

My rifle is accurate and fun-to-shoot, but still does not feed very smoothly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You could look for a Norwegian conversion, they converted a bunch to .30-06....slightly lengthened the mags and inletting, and notched the edge of the receiver for clearance for stripper feeding...they are solid, beautiful guns...
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Look around for a commercial 98 action. I have a rifle built on a super nice interarms 98 action. It’s super slick
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]
interesting, i may attempt to run one down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a bubba'd south american FN mauser 98 in original caliber of 30-06. Was going to drop it in a new stock. Instant hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend in MN who has a K98 made by FN for the Israelis chambered in 308 with a good bore. If you want his info I could see if he’s willing to ship it. Just message me if so.
Much easier than rebarreling a rifle...
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i think that in terms of what i am looking for, A tough, reliable, basic rifle with iron sights. I like the concept of the Mossberg MVP but honestly,  the stock feels cheep, the trigger is meh, and the bolt feels sloppy. I like the Tikka Artic but its pushing 2 grand and only availible in 308

A 500 dollar 98k and few hunderd bucks for a rebarrel gives me everything the Tikka does with better round.

Well my thoughts are this, Its getting tough to find a 98k with a good barrel these days, Most that i have checked out with decent barrels are numbers matching and more than i really want to pay for it.  8mm has dried up, while i plan to reload for it 8mm bullets are pretty behind the times are in terms of both internal and external balistics.

After thinking about it, I think a 30-06 with 212 eld-m would be a nice combo as well
View Quote
Ummmm...no
Nosler makes 180 gr bullets in both Ballistic tip and E-tip (lead-free) flavor, as well as 200 gr bullets in Accubond, Competition (HPBT match), and, of course Partitions
I'm not sure what other sort of bullet you could possibly want, and that's from just one manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
honestly, i really dont like the section of 8mm bullets out the.

the Nosler HPBT has a marginal BC .520 vs .647(147gr 6.5) and .670 (208gr .308) the partition rounds look like they are about 20 cents more than there Hornady counter parts.

So this and the combination of being able to stock one projectile that can be shared between my 300WM and 6.5CM is pretty apealing to me and if i was in the market for a numbers matching k98 I would absolutely get set up and run 8mm

In regards to the Norwegian 30-06 models, i found a some norwegian 30-06 mags on gunbroker, does a standard stock have to be inletted for the bottom metal or is it a direct drop in?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a friend in MN who has a K98 made by FN for the Israelis chambered in 308 with a good bore. If you want his info I could see if he’s willing to ship it. Just message me if so.
View Quote
thanks for the heads up,  I will be in the Middle East for a while so in the event that i have found anything i will shoot you an IM
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to get my hands on a large ring Mauser action, I always wanted to do a brand new "clone" of a K98 in a more available cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Neck an 8x57 down to 6.5mm and give it an AI style shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Another option would be to pick up an Israeli 7.62 NATO conversion. They're out there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In regards to the Norwegian 30-06 models, i found a some norwegian 30-06 mags on gunbroker, does a standard stock have to be inletted for the bottom metal or is it a direct drop in?
View Quote
The inletting in a standard 98k stock would have to be lengthened a smidge to fit a Norwegian modified Trigger Guard assembly, but not much...

Rule is, you can fit an 98k trigger guard into a Norwegan stock, but the Norwegians trigger guards will not fit into an unmodified 98k stock...

But you'd be better off finding a good, all there Norwegian with all the right parts...good collector value there, and since you don't have to modify it, it retains the collector value.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a huge Mauser fan. To me, it is worthwhile as a proven, rugged action.

Years ago, it was pretty easy to find a miltary action that had been sporterized, and had a scope or iron sights added. You always have to inspect closely to ensure it was not a botched job that ruined the action.

But those supplies have dried up, and the cost now to have an action drilled/tapped, safety, and bolt bent is now far more than the cost to just buy a complete sporter rifle. There are options here: Interarms made a commercial Mauser clone, and in the 50's through 80's, other quality FN action sporters were available. These are the items I keep an eye out for at gunshows, and I've managed to get a couple.

I have a number of 30-06 sporters, and original 8mms, but I think the better cartridge for general use and low cost is 308... Most of the newer cartridges you might want to try are 308 length, not long action '06 cartridges. But an action designed for a long cartridge may not do as well with a short action round. So if you convert your military or sporter Mauser from '06 or 8mm to 308, you will get better feeding with a magazine spacer block.

I have a factory Interarms sporter Mauser in 308. The magazine has a sheet metal spacer at the primer end of the cartridge, so the 308 sits closer to the chamber. It feeds very reliably. I wish Interarms or someone else would just offer this bottom metal, so you could easily convert a military or sporter Mauser to shoot 308, or other similar cartridges like 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. But no one offers this, and so the most cost effective solution (if you are on board with 308) is to have your stock fitted to take CDI bottom metal and 308 AI mags.

Then, you get your 308 magazine system, and a new bottom metal that takes detachable mags.

Another idea I like is that Rhineland Arms sells a 308 barrel that attaches to the Mauser action with a Savage-type barrel nut. With this setup, you could screw on a barrel yourself in 10 minutes. I like the concept a lot, and I hope they sell so the company can bring more barrels to the market.

You could keep your beloved and reliable Mauser action, and spin on a barrel in a neat caliber, like 6mm Creedmoor. Since you can replace the barrel for a few hundred bucks in 10 minutes, you could blast away with both reckless abandon and great precision.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
honestly, i really dont like the section of 8mm bullets out the.  

the Nosler HPBT has a marginal BC .520 vs .647(147gr 6.5) and .670 (208gr .308) the partition rounds look like they are about 20 cents more than there Hornady counter parts.

So this and the combination of being able to stock one projectile that can be shared between my 300WM and 6.5CM is pretty apealing to me and if i was in the market for a numbers matching k98 I would absolutely get set up and run 8mm

View Quote

The 300wm and 6.5 can not share projectiles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in the 80's Springfield Armory Inc was converting Brazilian 1908 7mm rifles to .308.
These were great shooters, but I built a .308 on a Argentine 1909 that was much better because I took extra effort in installing things like the upper band and bayonet latch assembly.

I also built a really nice Argy 1909 in 30-06.  It was more effort because the magazine box had to be lengthened slightly.
I never got around to it, but I intended to build a 1909 into a Mauser Police Carbine with the 17 3/4 inch barrel in .308.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The 300wm and 6.5 can not share projectiles.
View Quote
Of course.   I have a 6.5 and 300wm and depending on what caliber i choose to run in the K98 I can share that Bullet with one of my other rifles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Does it have to be a Mauser?

Have you considered something like an Enfield 2A?  308 with a slick bolt and higher mag capacity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#24]

I only recently picked up this old sporterized war horse for $225 (add another $20 for FFL BGC). It's built around a 1944 WW2 Nazi-German Mauser 98 action (by J.P. Sauer u. Sohn).  The barrel is in caliber .30-06, made by an unknown maker.  The finish had been redone in a green park.  A lot of inspector stamps disappeared during the process.  Though the Eagle was still there in two places.   As for the stock, I have no idea who made it.  Though the receiver had been glassed in.

When I bought it, it wouldn't hold or feed 5 rounds of my surplus HXP ammo from CMP.   So, a bit of a file job to the inside (back side) of the magazine well and I thought that I fixed it.

So, anyway.......I took it to the range.  Then, I discovered that the person who built it probably never shot it with a scope.  Because, even though it came with the weaver mounts attached.  Just by bore sighting.....the scope was pointing way up into the sky.  Hell, I'm here already.  So, I tried three shots.  It wasn't even on the paper.  More bad news......the magazine jammed up on me.   But, on the good side.....the iron sights were impressive at 25 yds.

I took it home and looked up the mount numbers.  I discovered that the builder had put on the wrong mount on the rear.   So, a quick stop at Sportsman's Warehouse solved that problem.

But now the bore sighting was, down and to the left.  I tried to get it back on the bulls eye with an adjustment of the scope cross hairs.  No luck.  Oh well.....I'll just have to try it on the next range trip.  And, since I'm working on it.  I filed the magazine well a bit more.

The next trip to the range was a much better day.  The rifle was on the paper.  Hitting high and to the right.  Some simple scope adjustments and BINGO!  Then, oh yeah......the magazine troubles had gone away.  Feeding all five rounds from the magazine.

Yup.....some folks just don't care for "sporterized."   But, it's in a caliber that I have mounds of ammo for.  And, I got it cheap.  So, I'm happy.

Aloha, Mark

PS......my rifle came with an aftermarket two position safety (to clear the scope).  I believe that it's made by Timney-Buehler.  Because of the safety, the bolt disassembly is a PIA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a sporterized Mauser k98 in 30-06 as well, currently in a hogue stock with a 4x12 scope and a custom muzzle break. It actually shoots real nice, feeds great, and is pretty accurate! I wouldn't chop up a good war rifle myself but I don't mind buying one that's already been modified. It's a soft shooting powerhouse that hits well out to 400 yards so far, enjoy them!
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
thanks for the heads up,  I will be in the Middle East for a while so in the event that i have found anything i will shoot you an IM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read the OP's title and immediately thought of the IDF K98 capture 7.62 NATO conversion.

Or just buy a new CZ bolt action.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Get an FR8.

Cool looking and handy carbine. It's in 7.62 NATO.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got an 8mm-06 as well!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another option would be to pick up an Israeli 7.62 NATO conversion. They're out there.
View Quote
This..... a simple solution....or just find 8mm mil-surp.....its out there in private hands to be had ...
Then you have the real Mauser experience....196grain at almost 3000 ft/sec. .....fun stuff... and you leave
the historic firearm intact. Many have a lifetimes worth of 8mm stashed away at 1 round at time and could never shoot it
all in a bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#30]
If you want to modify a Mauser I'd suggest one already sporterized.  They are usually cheaper.  Original ones even RC's are quite collectable these days.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got a pre WWII Czech BRNO military 98 action sitting in the safe I always wanted to build into a 9.3x62 however time I do all the work a CZ550 in said chambering will be cheaper.  I've also have a H&R 340 which is a commercial Yugo 48 action in .308 Win.  Beautifully blued but wish I never got rid of the walnut stock.  Its sitting in a plastic stock that I got decades ago.  Its harvested lots of venison.  Also have a Yugo M48 BO that I picked up in 91' still shooting strongly in 7.9mm JS.  Check the used gun racks for the last run of commercial Yugo 98s that were sold by Remington as the Model 798 which wore a laminated stock and set up for a scope.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top