Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 8:47:13 PM EDT
Im new to Curios & Relics rifles.I just recently acquired a Mauser K98 it would be classified as a shooter vs a collectors piece.I believe its a Russian capture.Im going to go over it and jot down the markings "No Nazi"markings.Who would I contact to kind of get some background on this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If its a "capture" rifle. Either Yugo or other (Russian), and all the marking are removed. There really isn't anyway of getting more info.

Those were possibly reassembled using whatever they had. So a mis-match of parts.

I had a Yugo K98 that came acrossed my path. It was void of all markings except the serial number and the Yugo crest that was stamped on after cleaning the German markings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes aod886,your pic of the crest on mine its peened out.Below where the crest was is Ce cc and below that 43.Left side of reciever MOD 98 cd.Ser#9136 below that dd.On frt barrel band left side it says 1216.On right side barrel at muzzle is Cai st A1b vt and below that K98 Germany 8mm.
Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape has a hooded front sight and sling.Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes aod886,your pic of the crest on mine its peened out.Below where the crest was is Ce cc and below that 43.Left side of reciever MOD 98 cd.Ser#9136 below that dd.On frt barrel band left side it says 1216.On right side barrel at muzzle is Cai st A1b vt and below that K98 Germany 8mm.
Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape has a hooded front sight and sling.Thanks
View Quote

This is the importer.  Century Arms International (CAI) in Vermont. That crest is Yugoslavian.

Your K98 has more info than mine. There's nothing left other than the serial and "43" as seen in the picture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
CE 43 equals a jp sauer and son (manufacturer) 1943.  I think they were the second largest producer of k98's that year but that part is off the top of my head.  Absent of markings on top of the receiver you can sometimes learn the make and year by the small dirty birds (waffamps) stamped elsewhere.

Yugo's we're often rebuilt as oppose to just reassembled like the Russian captures.  This makes them good shooters often with new barrels and actions correctly fitted to the stock as good examples are completely renumbered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top