Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 10:07:11 PM EDT
With all this free time at home, I’ve been going through every gun in the safe. Cleaning, inspecting, & cataloging everything about each gun.

I was surprised to find a 98 Mauser in the back of the safe. I have no idea when or where I got it, but it must have been a while ago.

Anyways, I started looking up info about these rifles, and cleaning the cosmoline (sp?) out of this thing and noticed that not one single serial number matches. Would anyone known if this is normal?

Thank you

Gene
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Romanian and Russian capture are traditionally like that.

Check for the import mark on the barrel near the front site.

It's not the end of the world.

If it shoots well, make it a sniper...it's not gonna lose value if you do it correctly.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It was made in 43.

No import marks.

At some point in the past someone sanded it down to bare wood and painted it a crappy dark brown paint, but left all the cosmoline inside bolt and every other crevice.  ??
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A few months ago I bought one of those k98 yugo chopped down stocks from I think numrich for $75 and a new handguard for $10 to redo a k98.

Turned out pretty good. The yugo stock is shorter by about 1/2" than a standard k98 stock so I had to shortened the handguard to match. Took maybe 30 minutes with a chisel and a few hand tools.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
A few months ago I bought one of those k98 yugo chopped down stocks from I think numrich for $75 and a new handguard for $10 to redo a k98. 

Turned out pretty good. The yugo stock is shorter by about 1/2" than a standard k98 stock so I had to shortened the handguard to match. Took maybe 30 minutes with a chisel and a few hand tools.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. That would be much easier than trying redo this stock back to original.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Went with a bad ace tactical low profile mount.

Simple 10 minute install and I was in business.

Was wanting to do a repro sniper clone but the scopes are sick...and the repro scopes are just Chinese garbage.

Then there was the long time for all of the stupid silly Mauser gunsmiths with one quoting me a 16 month wait to install a precious WWII mount on mines.

Mines is a RC but the numbers are all matching and the Waffenamts are intact along with the eagle swastika.

I'm happy with it.

It's import mark....boo hoo hoo...end of the world...

Get a bayonet for it and find some ammo and shoot it..they are fun to shoot.

Kar98k + Zf 39 Sniper to 1,100yds: Practical Accuracy
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/K98-G2-05_2048x2048_jpg-1395265.JPG

Went with a bad ace tactical low profile mount.

Simple 10 minute install and I was in business.

Was wanting to do a repro sniper clone but the scopes are sick...and the repro scopes are just Chinese garbage.

Then there was the long time for all of the stupid silly Mauser gunsmiths with one quoting me a 16 month wait to install a precious WWII mount on mines.

Mines is a RC but the numbers are all matching and the Waffenamts are intact along with the eagle swastika.

I'm happy with it.

It's import mark....boo hoo hoo...end of the world...

Get a bayonet for it and find some ammo and shoot it..they are fun to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdxVqFX9Iwo
View Quote

If Zavasta would just make a repo K98K in .308 I would do up something like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

My stock had a lot of water damage ,solvent or rust out from metal parts that were on it before. Not sure, so I only very lightly sanded it and left it kind like battlefield pick up. None of the metal is rusted and is still blued or shiny.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I found a company online that sells authentic reproduction stocks for just over 225 bucks. I’m sure it’s a lot more than I paid for this thing, but it would go a long ways to making this rifle more enjoyable to own / shoot.

Would you guys know if the bolt disassembly button on the stock is removable?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it is just a roll pin or press fit.

If you are talking about those walnut stocks post pics when you get it and when done. I almost went that route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s a company called “stocky stocks”.

I may order one soon  

I’m guessing you guys polished the metal end cap on the stock. I like how that looks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top