Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2020 12:54:05 AM EDT
I just got an early Christnukkah present, a .50 T/C percussion Hawken.

Frankly, I'm a little short of knowledge about these things. As I understand it, they're basically 100-yard rifles if I'm really on my A-game that day.

So, what all do I need: range rod, .50 jag and brush, .490 balls, patches, FFG powder, and #11 caps?

I think I read that this model only came with the 1:48 barrel, which means it should work with bullets as well. Which one should I try first?

Is one powder substitute better than another? Nobody seems to have actual BP in stock locally.

Can I use MPro7 to clean it? I've already got gallons of the stuff.

And the loop about four inches back from the trigger, is that the sling attachment point or is it for something else?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You need a ball/bullet puller too. It’s a rod attachment that looks like a stubby wood screw.

Don’t EVER oil the barrel, I’ll soak up the oil and leach the oil, spoiling the powder for a LONG time.

I loaned my 54 caliber Hawken to a bud, he cleaned and oiled it after he used it, thinking he was doing me a favor...

Bore Butter rather than oil.

My 54 would shoot 3” groups at 100yds using patched round balls and, iirc, 90grs if FFG black powder. The double set trigger helps, the sights (and my eyes) are limiting.

Whitetails only here, never tried the heavier lead bullets.

The brass behind the trigger guard is the “pistol grip,” the loop works for a vintage style leather sling with ties.

I recall needing to swab the barrel after every five shots sighting in or practicing.

Traditional hot soapy water for actual cleaning.

We have a primitive arms season in January for the first time this year. Will have to break out the Hawken.

ETA: Swap out the nipple for No. 11 caps and go with musket primers for more consistent ignition.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Nipple wrench, is a great tool for your possible bag. To clean rifle after shooting,  remove barrel, use wrench to remove nipple. Go into bathroom and pour scalding hot water down barrel until clear water comes out of nipple. If the water is hot enough the barrel will be perfectly clean.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Need something to season barrel after cleaning,  I use bore butter.

Like mentioned either use hot  water or BP specific cleaner , never use oils

Need measuring equipment for powder.

Extra nipples,  wrench,  spare wedges for stock, bullet remover.

Doubt that is sling mount, just decorative.

Start out shooting ball ammo til you get swing of muzzleloading.

Start out with 50gr of powder to get use to things and then work your  " load" up
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
MPRO-7 does work well for BP.  I use Ballistol because I had it before the Mpro.  I use 50/50 mix Ballistol and water to clean and then 100% for rust prevention.

I think my Hawken needs a new nipple and perhaps a hammer.  I usually have to strike the primer 2-3 times to get ignition.

I bought it for a wall hanger, but all guns I own, get shot at least once.

There is a rod under the barrel.  That should be all you need beside shooty things.  A nipple wrench and a ball puller are not really required, but maybe nice to have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MPRO-7 does work well for BP.  I use Ballistol because I had it before the Mpro.  I use 50/50 mix Ballistol and water to clean and then 100% for rust prevention.

I think my Hawken needs a new nipple and perhaps a hammer.  I usually have to strike the primer 2-3 times to get ignition.  

I bought it for a wall hanger, but all guns I own, get shot at least once.

There is a rod under the barrel.  That should be all you need beside shooty things.  A nipple wrench and a ball puller are not really required, but maybe nice to have.
View Quote

Lol, I take my wall hanger out on occasion

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
some good information here some "meh"

490 ball and .018 patch usually leads to pretty good result,powder charge can vary between 70-100gr Ffg type powder.90gr is usually good,each rifle can vary though.

Pyrodex is OK but Black powder is much better,Pyrodex is more corrosive than BP.I've been shooting these things for 40+ years so yes I know.

777  Blackhorn 209 etc wont work well because they require a HOT ignition source. Pellets are a "no go" for  this reaso too.Caps are not so hot.

Cleaning can be accomplished with soap and water,lots of it!!! No petroleum products inside the bore. Olive oil works well as does Ballistisol.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

This place can provide more info than you'll every need/want...a good vender for BP supplies is Track of the Wolf.

I shoot flint locks now more than caplocks it is a "dark science" which is much like Black Rifle Disease"

Good luck and "make smoke"

Oh BTW Black powder is available at several mail order places....it does make a difference in reliability on these old smoke poles.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
These black powder rifles give us a renewed appreciation for the advancement of technology.

Surprisingly accurate with patched round ball.

One mistake I made was thinking it might be a good idea to run a copper wire brush through the bore, to get it nice and clean. Wrong! There's an expanded diameter in these barrels just before the breech that likes to grab a hold of anything you push down that might have some compression around the circumferential direction.

Have a blast, these are a nice change of pace.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to determine the rifling rate twist. T/C's came in a couple of different twist rates.
Its easy.
Patch a cleaning jag and run it down the barrel measuring the rod to determine twist rate.
If it's a 1 in 66 use round balls for shooting. If its a 1 in 48 use the Maxi-Ball bullets.
Same same as modern guns. Faster twist stabilizes a longer heavier bullet.
Start out around 60grn powder loads and work up.
Be aware these things recoil can get stiff when powder charges start getting up over 80grns or so.
Other than that its a simple gun to run.
Cleaning BP is tedious but it isn't that horrible.

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought one for my son right after he was born. His name is Caleb Hawken.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a ball/bullet puller too. It’s a rod attachment that looks like a stubby wood screw.
View Quote

I never had luck with ball pullers if the rifle had been left loaded for any amount of time (~50% of all used MLs). The soft lead strips before the barrel lets go of the patch.

Fortunately, T/C Hawken nipples have a 1/4"-28 thread. Replace the nipple with a zerk fitting and you can use a grease gun to force stuck rounds loose. Thoroughly degrease afterwards, of course!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top