Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2020 2:50:17 PM EDT
Just purchased a Ponsness Warren 375 and going to get into shot shell reloading. I picked it up for an absolute steal, NOS for $350 shipped. I shoot defensive loads 00 buckshot, #4 buckshot and slug. I have a bunch of saved hulls.

Going to order the Lyman Shotshell Handbook 5th edition. I will need a scale as well to check powder. What else would folks recommend? Folks experienced with this press feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not familiar with the reloader but from prior experience with my MEC...

To help make the setup easier, use the same brand / type of shotshell hulls

Have a funnel to make refilling the shot and powder easier

Have a tub to catch your loaded shells in

Some of the cheap tweezers and dental picks from harbor freight come in handy when shot gets spilled on the machine

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep a clean and uncluttered floor and bench so shot spills are easier to clean up.

Try to stick with one type and manufacturer of hull. You very well might need a different wad when going with a different hull.

Do *not* go off script from the reloading book when dealing with powder type and weight, and shot weight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to ballisticproducts.com and order a catalog. Lots of products, and interesting to peruse. And they are big on reloading slugs and steel shot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you'll be loading the shot by hand (i.e. I don't think the shot bushing will work with buckshot)

I'd make a shot counter - a board with some dimples in it equal to the number of shot you need for your load.  Easy way to count out pellets.

As said above, standardize your hulls and don't mix recipes.    Don't buy a bunch of components and then try to find a load for them.  Figure out a load then go find the right primer, hull, wad, and powder for that recipe.   Generally the powder manufactures have pretty good load data on their websites.

Ponsness are very good loaders.  The 375 is a nice single stage press.  Compared to the other press they are built like tanks.

Also, ponsness makes a shot and powder measure kit that makes catching powder or shot easy without removing the die and hull from the press.  Ponsness website is www.reloaders.com.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
They look like they are built like a tank.  Post a photo if you can.

When you mount it, get a cookie sheet pan and drill holes in it.  Mount the press with the sheet pan sammiched between the press and bench.  You will probably find out why in your first attempts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They look like they are built like a tank.  Post a photo if you can.

When you mount it, get a cookie sheet pan and drill holes in it.  Mount the press on top of the sheet.  You will probably find out why in your first attempts.
View Quote

My dad bought a progressive P-W in the '60s when I was a kid competing in trap. I don't know how many hundred thousands of rounds I loaded with that thing. It was a beast.

No matter which loader you use, there will be shot spills. I had several massive spills of #7.5 pellets. I think that's where I learned how to swear.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put a large cookie sheet under my Sploar then I bolted both of them to the bench.

It makes cleaning up spills so much easier.
View Quote

THIS!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go to ballisticproducts.com and order a catalog. Lots of products, and interesting to peruse. And they are big on reloading slugs and steel shot.
View Quote

This.

That website has been absolutely awesome for me.

I got into shotshell 6 or so years ago then dropped it for a while because I wasn't shooting clays much.

Picked up a Mec 600 Jr and a 9000g (progressive) and have gotten back into it. Really fun to make shotshell and if you have a source of cheap lead you can actually save a little bit. Can save a lot with buckshot and heavy loads.

I love loading 7/8oz shells for the wife and definitely save money on those.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

I got into shotshell 6 or so years ago then dropped it for a while because I wasn't shooting clays much.

Picked up a Mec 600 Jr and a 9000g (progressive) and have gotten back into it. Really fun to make shotshell and if you have a source of cheap lead you can actually save a little bit. Can save a lot with buckshot and heavy loads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There's no longer reason to shoot anything other than 7/8oz loads in any clay game.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's no longer reason to shoot anything other than 7/8oz loads in any clay game.
View Quote

I agree. I moved to 1oz loads for me but have been considering 7/8oz loads for me too. Hell, my wife and other friend (girl) both shoot 7/8oz and they do really well with them. I swear I think the reduced load density is moot when you consider the better aim associated with less recoil for the 7/8oz loads. But I'm a novice sporting clays shooter so I'm not sure my advice is worth too much.

This is my 600jr setup.

Attachment Attached File

I use the setup above for buckshot. These are cast buckshot from a Mihec buckshot mold! Love this combination! Filler material and a spacer card were added for a perfect crimp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree. I moved to 1oz loads for me but have been considering 7/8oz loads for me too. Hell, my wife and other friend (girl) both shoot 7/8oz and they do really well with them. I swear I think the reduced load density is moot when you consider the better aim associated with less recoil for the 7/8oz loads. But I'm a novice sporting clays shooter so I'm not sure my advice is worth too much.

This is my 600jr setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_223856_jpg-1595894.JPG

I use the setup above for buckshot. These are cast buckshot from a Mihec buckshot mold! Love this combination! Filler material and a spacer card were added for a perfect crimp.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230307_jpg-1595895.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230312_jpg-1595897.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230350_jpg-1595899.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my 600jr setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_223856_jpg-1595894.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230307_jpg-1595895.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230312_jpg-1595897.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20191121_230350_jpg-1595899.JPG

Casting buckshot, how cool!

Other than easier on the shoulder, I think 7/8oz loads are more accepted now is due to overbore shotguns.

My 1100 competition has something like a 31" overbore barrel and came with a complete set of 3rd party competition chokes. I shot a round of 27yd trap with the IC choke. Most of them broke, but I could tell the pattern was getting mighty thin at that range, and did lose more birds than my average. It patterns beautifully.
Another big plus with 27oz is you can load them to flat out deliver the mail speeds, which makes it easier to match leads at different distances. For example, you can tune your 27yd handicap load to match the time to target of your soft shooting 16yd load without killing your shoulder.

International trap has not allowed anything other than a 7/8 load for decades. You have to use a specific load to compete.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Casting buckshot, how cool!

Other than easier on the shoulder, I think 7/8oz loads are more accepted now is due to overbore shotguns.

My 1100 competition has something like a 31" overbore barrel and came with a complete set of 3rd party competition chokes. I shot a round of 27yd trap with the IC choke. Most of them broke, but I could tell the pattern was getting mighty thin at that range, and did lose more birds than my average. It patterns beautifully.
Another big plus with 27oz is you can load them to flat out deliver the mail speeds, which makes it easier to match leads at different distances. For example, you can tune your 27yd handicap load to match the time to target of your soft shooting 16yd load without killing your shoulder.

International trap has not allowed anything other than a 7/8 load for decades. You have to use a specific load to compete.

View Quote

I cast everything I can. I have roughly 700lbs of lead so it brings the price of almost all of my ammo to dirt cheap.

I prefer the Mihec buckshot molds because they cast individual buckshot that do not require any separation. The Lee molds cast buckshot in groups of three, then you have to manually cut the three balls apart from one another. I find the individual balls cast slower but are way faster in the long run.

Here's one of my molds, I have 3 different sizes.
Attachment Attached File

I didn't know that about international trap. Pretty interesting. As I said, I'm a novice on all things clay shooting. I shoot a Benelli SBE2 for sporting clays so I'm obviously not that serious into it (and too broke to buy an O/U). Most of my shooting is just with a bunch of friends in a field with a fancy trap machine drinking beer. About as fun as sporting clays honestly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think a true 7/8 oz load is legal in international trap.  The actual load is a 24 gram load, which is slightly less than 7/8 oz, but they are loaded FAST.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think a true 7/8 oz load is legal in international trap.  The actual load is a 24 gram load, which is slightly less than 7/8 oz, but they are loaded FAST.
View Quote

You are correct.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all for the replies, good advice. I will be sure and post pics once I get it set up. Reloading components look like they might be a challenge at the moment. I think I may have more luck locally then online.

I will post updates as I progress into this project. I have a full plate with all sorts of other stuff but I hope to get this rocking to reload a bunch this winter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as the load doesn’t exceed 24.5 grams they are legal for a finals shoot off.  Trap is #7.5 shot maximum size, skeet usually #9. If you get to the final 6 in either international skeet or trap you submit the ammo you plan to use, and refs will random pick rounds to cut open and weigh for an average. A lot of factory 24 gram like Winchester get an automatic pass.

Brands like Bornaghi and RIO get weighed. But RIO 24 gram is also marked 7/8 oz, and seem to always come in below the maximum intl weight.

International shell velocity usually between 1310 and 1360 FPS

If there are shotgun only ranges locally, they may have components for sale.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Score 1,000 federal 209A primers yesterday locally. I will upload some pictures of the press soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top