Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey apex ns2 tinkerers.

Been watching this thread for awhile.

I got a Q thats a bit off topic.

I have a NS2 that i have had for years. Tube burned out some years back.

I recently sent it to ATN to have it swapped out for a fresh tube.

Old tube was a epm223. new tube is a epm66g-4k.

New tube works in starlight or with the ir illum. but exhibits alot of sparkle in very low light (indoors), also has squirm so bad in the lower light with out ir that the image looks like a moving jackson pollock painting.

For those of you with working tubes, how are they performing inside at night with no ir illum? Clear to dark, or same as mine?
View Quote
Take the cap off
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Take the cap off
View Quote
Thats a joke right? Funny.

I actually dont have a lense cap for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thats a joke right? Funny.

I actually dont have a lense cap for it.
View Quote
So I was just looking at my NS2 with all the lights off in my lounge. Only lighting in the room was from the LCD panel of my cigar humidor and the standby light on the laptop. The image was dark enough I could not photograph it (typical gen2 no light situation). The large American flag, as seen below, could be seen and distinguished as an American flag, BUT it was dark with a ton of noise. **Noise being the graininess/squiggliness you've described in your thread (NOT audible noise)**

I only own Gen 2 units, but I understand low/no light is where they fall short. Others can confirm better than I.

These things are the shit with supplemental IR tho.

I'll post this in your thread too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks man. Maybe i am miss remembering it being more clear before. Its been a few year sitting on the shelf waiting to get fixed.

I appreciate the assessment.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks man. Maybe i am miss remembering it being more clear before. Its been a few year sitting on the shelf waiting to get fixed.

I appreciate the assessment.
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge you for a new tube?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dont mind at all. They originally wanted $600, but I talked them down to $400.

I also asked about accessories, 1x objectives, helmet mounts, weapon mounts, scope and camera adaptors, etc...

I was told that they no longer carried or had any more, and that they will generally only keep optional accessories for 2 years after an item is discontinued.

Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I also asked about accessories, 1x objectives, helmet mounts, weapon mounts, scope and camera adaptors, etc...

I was told that they no longer carried or had any more, and that they will generally only keep optional accessories for 2 years after an item is discontinued.

Unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately.
All things considered, that's not too bad. Thanks!

I can also confirm that there is a lot of noise when using the NS2 in a very dark environment. A little IR light makes a big difference though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All things considered, that's not too bad. Thanks!

I can also confirm that there is a lot of noise when using the NS2 in a very dark environment. A little IR light makes a big difference though.
View Quote
No prob. Thanks for the input on image distortion. Much appreciated.

I should prolly say that i tried to deal with atn customer service years ago. They were not responsive..

This tube swap experience this year has been much different. it definitely appears that ATN has really stepped up in the customer service dept recently. They were responsive and easy to deal with.

For whatever thats worth.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]
fwiw 400 for a glass tube is pretty decent price, but since they are a gamble you get what you get.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Eh not really a gamble imo. Just a basic ass gen 2 cgt tube. I just had unrealistic expectations about it.

If it had been a bad tube they would have taken it back and given me another.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont have time today.

But i am gonna reach out again to Milan at atn. I have her direct line and email.

I was looking at their nvm14. The optics body/tube housing looks almost identical to the ns2, with a more compact inverter and eye piece(if gen 2 product photo is correct), and the original upgraded IR illum accessory installed, with a 1x objective.

Whicj is interesting because they did something to my ir illum free of charge, things like an ir halogen now.

The optional nvm14 3x objective looks like a dead ringer for the ns2 3x obective.

It appears the nvm 1x objective normally not offered separately would fit. Would be easier that a camera lense with adapter depending on price(if it would work). We will see what she says.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dont have time today.

But i am gonna reach out again to Milan at atn. I have her direct line and email.

I was looking at their nvm14. The optics body/tube housing looks almost identical to the ns2, with a more compact inverter and eye piece(if gen 2 product photo is correct), and the original upgraded IR illum accessory installed, with a 1x objective.

Whicj is interesting because they did something to my ir illum free of charge, things like an ir halogen now.

The optional nvm14 3x objective looks like a dead ringer for the ns2 3x obective.

It appears the nvm 1x objective normally not offered separately would fit. Would be easier that a camera lense with adapter depending on price(if it would work). We will see what she says.
View Quote
Chinese glass tube housing similar to mum is sub $400. Pop tube out, put in new housing, sell old housing and have a similar to mum monocular for cheap
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

fwiw 400 for a glass tube is pretty decent price, but since they are a gamble you get what you get.
View Quote
400 seems fair for a new tube. If it was a matter of having a working device or not, I'd pay it.

Glad to see you back, btw
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Chinese glass tube housing similar to mum is sub $400. Pop tube out, put in new housing, sell old housing and have a similar to mum monocular for cheap
View Quote
Ya know thats not a bad idea, if the objective, inverter, or yey piece dont fit.

I am really thinking they will. Depending on price it wpuld mean a cheap nvm14-2 that is marked NS2 on the body.

Although it also has me wondering. The nvm14 comes in gen2 (epm66g tube), several gen 3 tubes, or WPT (photonis tube).

People where talking earlier in this thread about conversion of the ns2 to other tube types, if the nvm14 body really is the same, then atn would have spacers/subhousing/ adaptors for the types mentioned that should fit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ya know thats not a bad idea, if the objective, inverter, or yey piece dont fit.

I am really thinking they will. Depending on price it wpuld mean a cheap nvm14-2 that is marked NS2 on the body.

Although it also has me wondering. The nvm14 comes in gen2 (epm66g tube), several gen 3 tubes, or WPT (photonis tube).

People where talking earlier in this thread about conversion of the ns2 to other tube types, if the nvm14 body really is the same, then atn would have spacers/subhousing/ adaptors for the types mentioned that should fit.
View Quote
Maybe the older models were, but the glass tubes don't have the same width and China uses a different model for each now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe the older models were, but the glass tubes don't have the same width and China uses a different model for each now.
View Quote
I am going need clarity here.

Are you saying all atn nvm14s are using totally diffent sized bodies for each model?

It made more sense to me that atn is mixing and matching on mass produced housings. Can you confirm?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Body kinda looks shorter. tube spacer prolly wouldnt work anyway.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Vs

Attachment Attached File

Still real curious about objective and eye piece/inverter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm having a difficult time trying to understand what you're asking. I'm telling you to pull the tube out of the housing and put it in a new housing, similar to the one you posted on the third pic. You'll solder the leads on the new board and for glass tubes they come with a new lens system. You won't be able to take off the one on the objective side of the tube since it's glued in, but the ocular lens will fit in. Now, since it won't fit exactly right inside the new housing (tolerances, who needs those?) you'll shim it until the fish eye isn't so bad since objective lens prob won't match with the new lens. it is what it is I guess. That particular housing is for US tubes, but the one for the Russian glass tubes is a lil heavier and longer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm having a difficult time trying to understand what you're asking. I'm telling you to pull the tube out of the housing and put it in a new housing, similar to the one you posted on the third pic. You'll solder the leads on the new board and for glass tubes they come with a new lens system. You won't be able to take off the one on the objective side of the tube since it's glued in, but the ocular lens will fit in. Now, since it won't fit exactly right inside the new housing (tolerances, who needs those?) you'll shim it until the fish eye isn't so bad since objective lens prob won't match with the new lens. it is what it is I guess. That particular housing is for US tubes, but the one for the Russian glass tubes is a lil heavier and longer.
View Quote
Nevermind what i was asking. I was just curious for you to confirm that atn is using different optical housings for different sub-models of nvm14. Kinda moot at this point for my purposes.

I am more interested in shaving size and weight off my ns2 for helmet mounting, and different options for conversion of the ns2 to 1x (i am aware of the camera lense conversion posted earlier in this thread).

Basically i want the set up in the top pic. I am curious if i could use nvm14 parts to do so absent swapping my tube into an nvm14 tubeless kit  as you have suggested.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

I wish I could get a parts kit of this bad boy. Or at least get the front and rear optics housings.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254890/lg-USS-1012_jpg-851355.JPG

I wish I could get a parts kit of this bad boy. Or at least get the front and rear optics housings.
View Quote
That is what i am sayin , man
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is what i am sayin , man
View Quote
Oh. Well you should have just said that

Luckily it's an ATN product, so there should be a bunch out there with bad tubes
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254890/lg-USS-1012_jpg-851355.JPG

View Quote
I'll try to see if my parts are compatible like here. I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'll try to see if my parts are compatible like here. I'll post pics.
View Quote
They aren't. no need for pics. I was close on the objective lens but ocular is a no go
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They aren't. no need for pics. I was close on the objective lens but ocular is a no go
View Quote
Well shitty. Thanks for checking.

Looks like the camera lense mod is the only 1x way to go then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well shitty. Thanks for checking.

Looks like the camera lense mod is the only 1x way to go then.
View Quote
The camera lens mod works well for what it is. My major gripe is that the ocular housing is super long. I have it set up on an old norotos mount and a J-arm, but it has to be adjusted all the way forward to now smash into your face. Also the added weight makes the whole device sag quite a bit (enough so that the pitch adjustment on the mount cannot compensate for it). This mean I need a bungie to pull directly up on the ocular housing to get it into my line of sight. Perhaps a more rigid mount would alleviate the issue some, but at more $$ for something that will be sub par for headmounting.

This may end up just being a handheld device. My wife has been using it to stalk an owl that's been eating our chickens. She doesn't like wearing the helmets, so its not a big deal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Still looks pretty rad.

What lense did you use?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Still looks pretty rad.

What lense did you use?
View Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosmicar-Pentax-25mm-1-1-4-f1-4-C-Mount-Lens-CCTV-M4-3-Q-Digital-Cameras/153205900776?hash=item23abc885e8:g:CoQAAOSw6EZbtjZA

And PM me if you need the adapter. The item I ordered was a 5-pack, not one adapter like I thought.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosmicar-Pentax-25mm-1-1-4-f1-4-C-Mount-Lens-CCTV-M4-3-Q-Digital-Cameras/153205900776?hash=item23abc885e8:g:CoQAAOSw6EZbtjZA

And PM me if you need the adapter. The item I ordered was a 5-pack, not one adapter like I thought.
View Quote
Thanks, i just ordered a 5 pack yesterday

Sucks about the rear end. Its that damn huge image inverter that flips the image back after the tube inverts it (im sure i am not telling you anything you dont know).

Gotta be a more compact lighter weight inverter out there... But i havent found one yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks, i just ordered a 5 pack yesterday

Sucks about the rear end. Its that damn huge image inverter that flips the image back after the tube inverts it (im sure i am not telling you anything you dont know).

Gotta be a more compact lighter weight inverter out there... But i havent found one yet.
View Quote
Friggin Chinese are flooding us with lens adapters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]
so i went with the fotasy lense.

its ok. some reduction in fov. very very little distortion at the very edge of the fov (only noticable if your testing for it.

not having the rhino issue. has to be all the way out but just enough room for eyepro behind the eye piece.

i have 3 diffdifferent std rhino mts. all are std "n with crosshair" marked army issue. all 3 have slightly different max pitch adjustment. might be a way to change this with playing with the different set screws that hold it togeather, dont know. or it could just be variation mt to mt.

with ACH helmet there is plenty of room in the mt for pitch adjustment, no issue at all.

with my old k-pot, there is just enough for perfect eye level.

my non used 3rd rhino has the least adjustment to pitch of my 3 mts so i havent tried it. i can tell just looking at it, it would be a nogo on the k-pot, right at the limit on the ach.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#33]
all in all pretty happy. doesnt feel any heavier to me that the old pvs7b's i used to use. i think a counter weight will prolly be the thing though.

i did a bunch of comparative tests 1x vs 3x.

fov seems the only difference, low light use is about the same.

id post fov pics. but obviously photography is not my strong suit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Too bad you guys didn't get the NV7 binos apex had.

Both I have work, and they actually work well as 1x.

Week had a total blackout last week so I tested them out.

Got handsy with stuff, and they seemed pretty natural.

Now I can keep my night spirit 2 as it is.

I lucked out big time on these deals.

BTW, I am sure Apex is testing these prior to selling them. One of the ATN NV7s I got had a NEW battery in it. Luckily the switch on that one was all gummed up so they didn't know it actually worked. A cleaning solved the problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BTW, I am sure Apex is testing these prior to selling them. One of the ATN NV7s I got had a NEW battery in it. Luckily the switch on that one was all gummed up so they didn't know it actually worked. A cleaning solved the problem.
View Quote
nice. yeah its too bad. but the ns2 works for me for now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
so i went with the fotasy lense.

its ok. some reduction in fov. very very little distortion at the very edge of the fov (only noticable if your testing for it.

not having the rhino issue. has to be all the way out but just enough room for eyepro behind the eye piece.

i have 3 diffdifferent std rhino mts. all are std "n with crosshair" marked army issue. all 3 have slightly different max pitch adjustment. might be a way to change this with playing with the different set screws that hold it togeather, dont know. or it could just be variation mt to mt.

with ACH helmet there is plenty of room in the mt for pitch adjustment, no issue at all.

with my old k-pot, there is just enough for perfect eye level.

my non used 3rd rhino has the least adjustment to pitch of my 3 mts so i havent tried it. i can tell just looking at it, it would be a nogo on the k-pot, right at the limit on the ach.
View Quote
Nice. I'll try some other mounts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah when those went up for sale, I actually had to do something at work and didn't get a chance to check Apex

I still consider myself lucky on the NS2 deal.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top