Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2020 11:09:02 AM EDT
I had a CMP M1 in .308 but was forced to unload it when layoffs happened years ago. I wanted to get another one someday and been waiting for the .308 ones to come to market but they haven't been released in .308 in a couple of years. So I figured what the heck I'll order this in 30-06. Can't wait to get my hands on it to bad for me the process is slow at the CMP.   Anyone else have this grade?

"CMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand.  This is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling.  Receiver is the only part of the rifle that has been refinished.  Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished.
Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line."
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it! Just do it! Do it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]
OHH its done,  just ordered some brass,bullets and clips to get ready for when she gets here..
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They had a rack of them at Perry last yr, only one or two had really bad pitting above wood. Most receivers looked pretty nice just sand blasted and reparked . Some had weak heel markings .
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They had a rack of them at Perry last yr, only one or two had really bad pitting above wood. Most receivers looked pretty nice just sand blasted and reparked . Some had weak heel markings .
View Quote

Thanks for giving me a heads up!! Hope mine is in good condition like you described.  I really need to take vacation from work one day and go to both CMP stores heard they have other firearms there that are not on the web site.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
WRA Special Rack (recent order) has no visible pitting above wood, but receiver heel markings were noticeably weaker than a regular Service Grade WRA.

Rear sight parts feel just a little sloppier than other M1s, and bolt has a brown patina. Runs well and an excellent deal for what it cost.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally came in today!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Gorgeous.  I will be doing this as soon as my C & R is approved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
@Ar15Jason

Any chance of some close up pics of the receiver and such?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Ar15Jason

View Quote

Sure can later today I will post them.    I was worried about the receiver heard some bad stories about the pitting on them. Which is part of the deal in the CMP description.   But mine is in good shape.  Only thing that stinks is the new wood has a dent in the upper hand guard someone banged it pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Post some famn pics, that single potato ain't gonna cut it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Was at the CMP Talladega range Wednesday,  and they had several specials on the racks.

Some of which had REALLY rough (albeit refinished) receivers.

If at all possible, I would recommend to anyone to travel to CMP and avoid buying sight unseen.

The sight of their newly-assembled 03 and M1 snipers will make you reach for your credit card.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was at the CMP Talladega range Wednesday,  and they had several specials on the racks.

Some of which had REALLY rough (albeit refinished) receivers.

If at all possible, I would recommend to anyone to travel to CMP and avoid buying sight unseen.

The sight of their newly-assembled 03 and M1 snipers will make you reach for your credit card.
View Quote

Wait CMP is making reproduction A4’s?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

* * * Only thing that stinks is the new wood has a dent in the upper hand guard someone banged it pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ar15Jason

* * * Only thing that stinks is the new wood has a dent in the upper hand guard someone banged it pretty good.

If you pursued it, CMP would likely replace the hand guard under warranty as damaged in transit or during packaging.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Pictures?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait CMP is making reproduction A4’s?
View Quote

I was told that it was a repro.   Absolutely perfect condition.  Very tempting...

ETA> just to clarify- the sniper configuration itself, barrel, stock, and the scope were repro.  Built on an original, refinished receiver.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Just sent in my paperwork for my first two.

OP; how long did yours take?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
hi, also jumped on Special Rack Grade; snail mail forms out to CMP on 8 Sept, notified on 22 Oct rifle good to go (credit card hit)....have not seen it yet, will report, but I think has a very low Ser No, 124xxx, prewar production.   I would think it would ship out 23 Oct, get to me Monday 26th....waiting is always the hardest part!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
It was around 4 weeks.

Quoted:
Just sent in my paperwork for my first two.

OP; how long did yours take?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]
.30-06 is the only proper caliber for the M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
.30-06 is the only proper caliber for the M1 Garand.
View Quote

For a pure collector, maybe.

But  the .308/7.62 cartridge, being easier to source as surplus or in  commercial-equivalent FMJ fodder, makes a lot of sense in an M1.

So there's zero downside to getting one in that chambering if or when CMP offers them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
@Ar15Jason don't wanna pester you, but any pics of the receiver below the stock line?

Found some pics over on the cmp forums that look kinda gnarly,

cmp forum rack special

receiver pitting
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Ar15Jason don't wanna pester you, but any pics of the receiver below the stock line?

Found some pics over on the cmp forums that look kinda gnarly,

cmp forum rack special

receiver pitting
View Quote

I would be happy to get one like that. Almost all below the wood and the heel stamp is still good. Quite a few of them have pretty nasty pitting above the wood line with heel stamps that are almost blasted away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top