Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2019 12:33:52 AM EDT
My first press was a Lee Breech Lock Single press since 2006.

Got an old RCBS single press built sometime in the 70’s a few month ago.

Finally installed it.

Holy S#%¥! This thing is smooth like butter!

Now I need lock rings and I’ll use my Lee for decapping duties.

I like Lee but this RCBS is built like a tank and there is no wiggle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using a RCBS Rock Chucker for forty-seven years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought an old rockchucker at a gunshot when I was 14, I have been using it ever since, though it only does rifle now, 550 does all my pistol ammo
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been using a JR since 1976.  I bought it in an Army PX for like $32.  I have several others but this one is my go to for .38, .357, .223 and .45 auto.  The largest caliber I have reloaded on it is 7x57.
kwg
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rockchucker or JR?

I started reloading on a used JR in 1977, and now use a Rockchucker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first press was a Lee Breech Lock Single press since 2006.

Got an old RCBS single press built sometime in the 70's a few month ago.

Finally installed it.

Holy S#%! This thing is smooth like butter!

Now I need lock rings and I'll use my Lee for decapping duties.

I like Lee but this RCBS is built like a tank and there is no wiggle.

Rockchucker or JR?

I started reloading on a used JR in 1977, and now use a Rockchucker.
RC
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have  LEE classic cast, Lyman Spartan, RCBS JR2, and might be picking up an old Lyman Spar-T turret in a week or two. Don't have a progressive and don't believe I'll ever need one. My 3 MEC shotshell loaders are all 600s too..........
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
My JR press was from 73.  I kept it till 2002 when I replaced it with a Redding T-7.  I gave it to fellow, and now 17 yrs later is still going strong, except he broke the spent primer cup.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
FIL gave me a JR3 a year or two back. Works just fine for me. Loading rifle up to 30-06

Editing for spelling
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just a FYI, but you can drill and tap the lee locking rings for a side allen bolt set-screw.
View Quote
I believe I remember dryflash3 posting a thread on this subject.

Also, if you go this route, place a piece of lead shot under the set screw to keep from buggering up the threads on your die.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:36:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Have 2 old ones probably that age. Built like tanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI, if you have not pulled the press down to clean and re-grease it, you don't have a clue what smooth as butter is.

To pull the press down, start with removing a C clip on the Side of the cam block pin, slide the pin out, and drop the ram out the bottom of the press.

Next, remove a side C clip on the cam block pin, slide that pin out, and remove the cam block and its Wave washers.

To remove the upper arms, use a long punch through the hollow side pin to drive the solid pin on the right hand side out to drop that lever out, then via a wider punch, drive the hollow pin out of the left hand arm to remove that arm.

Now clean all the parts up with WD-40.

When you go to reinstall the parts, use a very heavy bearing grease for the reinstall of the parts.

So grease on the left lever arm pin and  upper arm channel and install the solid upper pin on the right hand side, then do the same for the left hand hollow pin and arm next.

On the cam block and its pin, pack the cam block channel for the pin solid with grease to begin with, the pin and lower arm channels and the Wave washer with grease and reinstall the cam block with pin.  The grease that comes out of the cam block when you install the pin, just put is back in the grease container.
Note, here, when you have the cam block and cam block pin cleaned up, dry fit the cam block pin to the channel.  If you find that you have more than say .010" of channel wear to the pin, get RCBS on the phone for a free replacement cam block.  Hence as the cam block pin channel wears very over size, this allow more sideways movement on the lever to allow more variances in ram height if you don't work the lever up in the  center of it sideways movement.  As for ram to press channel, keep the ram and it channel clean of debris, and it will not be a problem for generation on the machine.  I have had RCBS replace a worn out press (body channel for ram), but it took over 30year of use on the press maintained to over wear the press ram channel to the point that a clean up and rebuild of the other parts where not going to solve the problem.

On the ram and the press channel for it, just thin layer of grease on these to start with.  The lower ram channel for the pin, and the pin, grease on the heaver side.  Now that you have the press back together, handle all the way down, and use a light lube like Hoppes gun oil (orange bottle) on the entire sides of the ram, then work the handle a few times to migrate the oil from the ram to press channel.
Once you have levered the handle a few times to migrate all the grease and lube, then do a wipe off of the excess grease from the outer surfaces.

As for the  reason that we want to use a light oil on the ram with just a hint of grease, is the ram will get debris through use of the press, and we will be pulling just the ram to clean it and the ram channel in the press as needed.  As needed for me since the ram is so easy to pull alone, it about once a month of normal use, or after a bout with a lot of de-priming debris that has fouling build up on the ram and in the channel that should be cleaned out before it starts to cause abnormal wear.

If you need a long punch set to punch  the upper arm pins out, HF has you covered for under $10.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

Also, if the press is very, very old with the handle bar grip on the top of the  lever, the handle can be end threaded to install the OEM plastic ball, or you can just by a new lever with plastic ball instead.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/33591/29241375_1.jpg?v=8D575444C39B730

https://www.fleetfarm.com/images/product/0000000087413/l/1.jpg

I bring up the end ball, since with the end of press lever threaded, you can install a even larger ball to give you move leverage on the press lever (think pool ball shifter knob that widens out the ball to palm to give the lever even more pressure without palm disconfort).
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x8cAAMXQBwlRJYSS/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote
It had some rust so I polished the handle bar. Cleaned out any rust on the rod.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Question, what goes here? I see 2 threaded holes in this slot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The slot at the top and the slot at the bottom are for an on-press priming system.  It also makes use of the slot cut on the ram.

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been using a RCBS Rock Chucker for forty-seven years.
View Quote
About the same for me. Started with mine in 1970.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
1981 RCBS RS, was given to me used about 15 years ago. Still works great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
My Lyman Spartan uses the same priming setup. That is what I use to prime with, it is fast and it works great.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm using my grandfathers Rockchucker. I enjoy using a press much older than I.

I even have the elusive case kicker
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I've also got an old rock chucker i bought from a friend for a son.  Super solid, but does need a little TLC.  Gonna polish the handle at some point and re-grease it maybe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top