Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2020 6:58:32 AM EDT
Ok. So a newbie to the nfa world this year, first can went great, 6 months from bought to in my hand. Now on My 2nd can I’m not getting as lucky..

As,   it is now day 45 and no stamp or call.As I called nov. 3rd and was told approved oct. 15th.
(115 days from cashed to approved,  it month and a half later and no piece of paper yet)

So, I need to now send in a letter to atf asking for certified copy, to get my can? Will that include replacement stamp?

Is this right? If so anyone have a template or such.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You will have to send a signed letter. You can scan and send it via email. Contact NFA branch for instructions.

I had the same issue. Eventually the original stamp came. The copy was just that- a photocopy.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
45 days or 45 business days?

I was told it was 45 business days. Because they need to find any way possible to drag it out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
What number did you call to get an update?

I need to see what's going on with my 2 suppressor stamps.

Edit never mind I found it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My August approved stamps arrived almost 2 months later on days 53 and 56.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel I will be in this position soon on my AEM5.  I talked to NFA Branch this morning, the guy said my dealer would have to request a copy.  Probably get a different answer from each rep.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will have to send a signed letter. You can scan and send it via email. Contact NFA branch for instructions.

I had the same issue. Eventually the original stamp came. The copy was just that- a photocopy.

View Quote

Got any info as to what needs to be sent?

@Bigwaylon
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the format I have used in the past.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello BATFE NFA Branch,

I am requesting a certified copy of the NFRTR Form 4 registration for  (NFA Firearms Type) SN# XXXX due to the original registration paperwork being lost.

Firearm Registration Details:
Serial Number: XXXXX
Model: XXXX
Firearm Type: XXXXX  (MG, SBS, etc.)
Maker: XXX Armory, City, State.
Caliber: XXX
Barrel and Overall Length: XX” / XX”

Current Owner and Registrant:
Homer Simpson
742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, ST. Zip

Former Owner/Registrant:
Montgomery Burns

If you could mail a certified copy of the Form 4 registration paperwork to me at the current registration address below it would be greatly appreciated.  
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Homer Simpson
742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, ST. Zip

email: [email protected]
phone: 555-1212
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print it out, sign it, scan it and email it to [email protected].  Alternatively you can smail mail it to the NFA branch address in WV if you prefer.

They will then snail mail you a certified copy of the paperwork (basically a black and white photocopy with a embossed seal) that you can take to your dealer to pick up your NFA firearm.  Granted they can be pretty slow mailing the certified copies out as well.

I don't tell them why I am requesting a certified copy other than the paperwork is lost, nor go into details that the original never showed up, was lost in the mail, etc.

IMHO, its really none of their business how or why you are requesting a certified copy.   Maybe, my dealer received it but lost it before I picked it up, maybe I picked up my suppressor yesterday and got it home and my dog ate the paperwork that evening, etc.

If they don't want a flood of requests for lost paperwork than its really simple solution, mail peoples paperwork out in a timely manner.   I know its probably asking a lot....but maybe also consider using some sort of trackable method so folks really know if its lost or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was at day 50, I called to find out the process and was told that only the transferor (seller) was the one that could request it since it hasn’t changed hands yet.  I guess if it already transferred to you as the buyer and you lost it, then you could request a copy?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys..I’ll write something up and get it emailed tonite..

Damnit as I was just about to file my first form 1 efile-sbr.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Idk
Thought it might interfere if I did it the same day..lol

Anyways..thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Welp I got good news, dealer emailed me earlier this morning and said the stamp arrived.  Finally.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welp I got good news, dealer emailed me earlier this morning and said the stamp arrived.  Finally.
View Quote

@stainlineho

How long after approved did your stamp come in?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@stainlineho

How long after approved did your stamp come in?
View Quote

Approved: 11/6/2020
At Dealer: 12/1/2020

I finally have it in my hands.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok day 48
Update. Emailed a similar letter as above , that was printed and signed then uploaded.

Got a reply back this morning saying

-email received and request is processing-

So we’ll see now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Just wait until you get paperwork back with no stamp attached, you get the suppressor transferred and have to wait another 6-7 months to get the physical stamp and a replacement F4 sent. LOL
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Just update.. 12-3 sent a email with a letter written up about the same as above, printed, signed and uploaded
Got a reply next morning saying they received and will be processed..

Day 57 after approved now..

Quoted:
Just wait until you get paperwork back with no stamp attached, you get the suppressor transferred and have to wait another 6-7 months to get the physical stamp and a replacement F4 sent. LOL
View Quote

Ouch
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally...Right at 60 days I get the call
Not sure if my email helped. As I never received a certified copy or dealer. Just the original from early October..man they need some more people or something..

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine was approved November 6, still waiting.  Not sure if it’s ATF, USPS or both, but only government can screw up so well.

“You know you’re in trouble when you hear: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine was approved November 6, still waiting.  Not sure if it’s ATF, USPS or both, but only government can screw up so well.”
View Quote

Mainly ATF but prob a little UPS too .  The way it was explained on another forum is that batfe examiners now work from home. So when they were in their office approving forms, it was taking 2-4 weeks from approved to received. Now that examiners only come in once a month to drop off approved forms and pick up a new stack, you can add 1-31 days more to the mailing time. You might be approved on day 1 of a new stack and they don’t bring it in til day 31, adding 31 days to the normal 2-4 approval time. Or they might approve it on day 31, the same day they are heading into the office to drop off/get more forms, and you don’t see much of a difference from normal mailing times.

Usps being busy doesn’t help either..
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mainly ATF but prob a little UPS too .  The way it was explained on another forum is that batfe examiners now work from home. So when they were in their office approving forms, it was taking 2-4 weeks from approved to received. Now that examiners only come in once a month to drop off approved forms and pick up a new stack, you can add 1-31 days more to the mailing time. You might be approved on day 1 of a new stack and they don’t bring it in til day 31, adding 31 days to the normal 2-4 approval time. Or they might approve it on day 31, the same day they are heading into the office to drop off/get more forms, and you don’t see much of a difference from normal mailing times.

View Quote

This may very well explain why getting a certified copy is taking so long.  They don’t yet have the original on hand to copy and forward to you.  Probably wasted some time with that request.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This may very well explain why getting a certified copy is taking so long.  They don’t yet have the original on hand to copy and forward to you.  Probably wasted some time with that request.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people are rushing out and requesting a cert copy at the 45 day mark and the originals are beating the cert copy to the house/dealer.

I’ve got 2 approve Dec 12 and after my recent 53 and 56 day waits from early this fall, I’m not expecting a call from the dealer anytime before the end of Jan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Now 2.5 months since approval and still no stamp.  A second request for a certified copy was made a week ago.  I’ve decided to go to my senator at 3 months.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems to be a trend......

A customer's application was approved on 11/19/2020, but I still have not received the stamp.  Called twice and they said "give it another week or two, then call again."  Finally submitted a certified copy request via email on 1/21/2020, so just over 60 days from approval.  Email has not been acknowledged, not sure if they do that.  Usually I get a bounce-back when I submit multiple handgun transfer forms, so I kind of expect one......

Customer's application was an Individual Form 4 for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m in the same frustrating boat- I have two approved 11/2/20 and 11/9/20, to date nothing. So on 1/11/21 I emailed them with all the info mentioned above ...and no acknowledgement of receipt or reply, and still nothing to date.

On the contrary I had a third approved on 12/4/20 (note this one was also submitted 1 month after the above two), got the call from my FFL on 12/31/20 to pick it up.

At this point I don’t know what else to do, any guidance or feedback is most appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine too is an individual Form 4 suppressor.

Unfortunately, we aren’t even in the food chain with ATF.  Our elected officials have staff to help their constituents.  I’ve read a few posts that indicate once a senator or rep gets to asking questions, things start to move.  I’ve tried to be patient, I understand shit happens, but at nearly 3 months and no action, I believe my requests have been ignored.  

Probably lost in the mail.  The Post Office’s performance this Christmas season has been far from stellar.  We got a check in the office here that was half gone.  Fortunately, the address was intact so we knew what happened and who was to blame.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Well over a 60 day wait, tax stamp approved on November 19 and finally got the call today from my LGS that the stamp had finally arrived.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well over a 60 day wait, tax stamp approved on November 19 and finally got the call today from my LGS that the stamp had finally arrived.
View Quote

I’d be curious to see the date on the envelope
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I wanted to get a look at it myself, but someone tossed it by the time I got to the store. I was curious as to how long it sat at NFA branch before getting mailed out and USPS being all jacked up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seems to be a trend......

A customer's application was approved on 11/19/2020, but I still have not received the stamp.  Called twice and they said "give it another week or two, then call again."  Finally submitted a certified copy request via email on 1/21/2020, so just over 60 days from approval.  Email has not been acknowledged, not sure if they do that.  Usually I get a bounce-back when I submit multiple handgun transfer forms, so I kind of expect one......

Customer's application was an Individual Form 4 for a suppressor.
View Quote

Update on my customer's situation.  Miraculously the ORIGINAL Form 4 arrived today, with the orange cover page.  I never got confirmation on the certified copy request, but I bet that made them go and look for it and realize 1.) they filed it with their copy instead of mailing it, or 2.) they left it in a "outgoing mail" box but never actually did it.

I doubt it was ever lost in the mail, because the envelope is new, and the postmark is 1/28/2021 from zip code 25405.  I don't think they'd open it and put it in a new envelope in that case.  Not sure I want to publicly name the examiner on the form, but if others with a long pending want to PM me, we can compare notes.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How very coincidental!  My customers 11/19/2020 approval just arrived today too.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I got the call today and it is in my hands.  96 hours short of 3 months after approval.  I did not get to see the envelope.  I’m not sure where the delay was, but the dealer thinks ATF-NFA instead of the Post Office.  He received 3 form 4s, one which was submitted around the same time as mine, but I don’t know when it was approved.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]
This has been an interesting thread since I also have an approval from 11/19 that never arrived.  I requested a copy but no original or copy has arrived.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you find it any coincidence in all these delays and people not getting their physical stamps and all the e-form 1 disapprovals for problems with their system I think not!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you find it any coincidence in all these delays and people not getting their physical stamps and all the e-form 1 disapprovals for problems with their system I think not!
View Quote

Lots of examiners working from home, random additional delays in dropping them in the Outgoing mail once approved.  I had 2 in the summer/fall that took 56 days from approved to received, had another in December 2020 that was 2 weeks From approved to received.  No rhyme or reason...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok. So a newbie to the nfa world this year, first can went great, 6 months from bought to in my hand. Now on My 2nd can I’m not getting as lucky..

As,   it is now day 45 and no stamp or call.As I called nov. 3rd and was told approved oct. 15th.
(115 days from cashed to approved,  it month and a half later and no piece of paper yet)

So, I need to now send in a letter to atf asking for certified copy, to get my can? Will that include replacement stamp?

Is this right? If so anyone have a template or such.
View Quote

My last one was at 126 days after approval. I wrote and requested a cert copy and the real stamp showed up two days later at the FFL
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a F4 approved on 11/27.  On the 45th day, I requested a certified copy.  Neither the stamp nor the copy has arrived.  Now 70 days in since the approval and 25 days in since the formal request for a certified copy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had a F4 approved on 11/27.  On the 45th day, I requested a certified copy.  Neither the stamp nor the copy has arrived.  Now 70 days in since the approval and 25 days in since the formal request for a certified copy.
View Quote

You do understand 45 business days (9 weeks) and not 45 calendar days right?

Looks like receipt of a form 4 can be up to 3 months after approval.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You do understand 45 business days (9 weeks) and not 45 calendar days right?

Looks like receipt of a form 4 can be up to 3 months after approval.
View Quote

I called to ask how long I should wait until I send a request for a certified copy.  The guy that I spoke with at NFA branch said "45 days after the approval date."   Then he said it looked like that very day was exactly 45 days and to "definitely" send the email with the signed request....so I did.  He didn't differentiate between business and calendar days, just days.  

One of the two has to show up eventually, but USPS is involved so I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Form 4 approval 11/19/20.  Requested copy on 1/15/21. Original stamp shows up today 2/9/21.   It’s a miracle
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder with the agents working from home if they are even allowed to mail out approved forms from home?  Probably do a batch, take them to the "mail room" at the building and then they come in and put together mailings and deliver to PO.

Hell, they could sit in someones residence for 30 days even before they start the mailing process.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder with the agents working from home if they are even allowed to mail out approved forms from home?  Probably do a batch, take them to the "mail room" at the building and then they come in and put together mailings and deliver to PO.

Hell, they could sit in someones residence for 30 days even before they start the mailing process.
View Quote

Nope, they go back to the office to be processed and go out in the company mail.   See my post earlier on this page..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top