Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 5:50:43 PM EDT
Now the long long wait begins....
Im completely new to these so any help preparing lowers, finding the properly cut bolts, and anything else I need to know would be appreciated.

I also saw a thread about them working with .22LR kits now... It's anyone making that part officially?

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Now the long long wait begins....
Im completely new to these so any help preparing lowers, finding the properly cut bolts, and anything else I need to know would be appreciated.

I also saw a thread about them working with .22LR kits now... It's anyone making that part officially?
View Quote

"SP1 spec" carrier is what you will need.

You may be able to print a template or take measurements to verify the link body will fit and have room to move. Height of the takedown pin post will almost certainly need shaving to fit properly with a reinforcer.

No commercial product for the
22 trip yet or probably ever. So roll your own or commission one, probably.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
congrats..

Where is you fine it for sale? And do you pay a fair price?

I would not use it in a SP1 carbine,( this guy)

Just get a SP1 rifle, and a Young Manu SP1 carrier
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately kns is sold out on the protectors.

I paid $15k for it from midwest tactical. Not sure if that's a great price but it was around what I was willing to pay.

I need to find someone to help me setup a couple lowers, get some extra paddles, put together a select fire kit, and mill some carriers for me. I apparently have lots of time .. as it's still transferring to midwest -- before it gets to my dealer -- when I can finally start the form 4. So I'm guessing a year unfortunately.

I have a 7.62*39 upper I think might be fun trying as well if I can get the carrier milled properly. Im a little confused because some of what I read indicates you shouldn't ever have to modify the upper -- other things indicate shaving the lugs is normal.  I have a SIG 516 piston upper I think might be a good fit as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig 516 semi auto carriers will be less milling than the full auto carriers.

I bought a spare 14.5" 516 upper for my M16 and then found out it was a semi auto version when it arrived.

I need to put it on the EE or Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately kns is sold out on the protectors.

I paid $15k for it from midwest tactical. Not sure if that's a great price but it was around what I was willing to pay.

I need to find someone to help me setup a couple lowers, get some extra paddles, put together a select fire kit, and mill some carriers for me. I apparently have lots of time .. as it's still transferring to midwest -- before it gets to my dealer -- when I can finally start the form 4. So I'm guessing a year unfortunately.

I have a 7.62*39 upper I think might be fun trying as well if I can get the carrier milled properly. Im a little confused because some of what I read indicates you shouldn't ever have to modify the upper -- other things indicate shaving the lugs is normal.  I have a SIG 516 piston upper I think might be a good fit as well.
View Quote
$15 from a dealer is fair I think. That is in the range for me to sell mine.

Get a real Colt SP1, its a great rifle.

Post a ad for Paddles I think someone from subguns sold me 10 new paddles for $20/30 yrs ago.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sig 516 semi auto carriers will be less milling than the full auto carriers.

I bought a spare 14.5" 516 upper for my M16 and then found out it was a semi auto version when it arrived.

I need to put it on the EE or Gunbroker.
View Quote

I bought the same one -- I think -- they were on sale directly from sig a couple years ago for $500ish I think. I still have never fired it. I originally had plans to pin and weld with a sico asr qd on the end but just never accomplished it.  If we do in fact have the same one, are your saying it's easier to get it to run with a RLL? Or do I need to find a different carrier to mill?

Sorry for the noob questions.. I'm really out of my element with this RLL adventure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$15 from a dealer is fair I think. That is in the range for me to sell mine.

Get a real Colt SP1, its a great rifle.

Post a ad for Paddles I think someone from subguns sold me 10 new paddles for $20/30 yrs ago.

View Quote

Glad to hear it's a fair price. I honestly wasn't certain but I've noticed they've dried up lately.

I guess I could get a real SP1. I have so many existing ARs I was sorta hoping not to have to buy any more... Especially in this market. Don't I have to deal with a different pin size of I go with an SP1? I might be confusing it with something else tho
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
are your saying it's easier to get it to run with a RLL? Or do I need to find a different carrier to mill?
View Quote

There's less material to remove on a carrier that's already shaved on the bottom, as opposed to a full M16 carrier. You can purchase the Smith Enterprises "SP-1 Spec" carrier and just be done with it - that will require no milling. Or find an actual SP-1 carrier.

Also, many older (80s, 90s, early 2000s) semi carriers, like those from Bushmaster and DPMS at the time, are "SP-1 Spec" already, too.

SP1s have a big .315 front (pivot) pin, but a standard .250 takedown pin. It's common to get an offset adapter pin to allow use of standard uppers with the SP1 lower receiver.

It's also not that big of a deal to have relief cuts milled into a lower, and/or the shelf lowered, though again there are many lowers out there into which an RLL will just drop in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it's a fair price. I honestly wasn't certain but I've noticed they've dried up lately.

I guess I could get a real SP1. I have so many existing ARs I was sorta hoping not to have to buy any more... Especially in this market. Don't I have to deal with a different pin size of I go with an SP1? I might be confusing it with something else tho
View Quote

I know no one wants to pay SP1 money but the thing is that is what your link was designed to run in. and it's nice to know no matter what your link will fit.

with a 20 inch barrel it has a nice rate of fire and feels incredibly comfortable, with anything smaller it just seems more violent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
15k is reasonable, but on the higher side.

SP1 has that large pin but I got around that by using a KNS takedown pin (small) and 2 adapters to fit in the ears of the SP1. I bought adapters meant for uppers with large holes and filed it to the width of the lower. Epoxy one to the KNS, and the other as the lock.
Not as good as a small takedown, but it makes changing uppers very easy without tools.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure if this would work (can't see why not), get a Surefire OBC. it makes it more fun to shoot.. Easier to control.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I would also get an aluminum carrier so you can have some high speed fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would also get an aluminum carrier so you can have some high speed fun.
View Quote

I would worry about breaking the LL running it fast.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one.  This is what I should have done.

Get the KNS protector some where.  Get some spare paddle in various sizes.  Get some real Colt burst kits, make sure the kits are complete (if you want safe / semi / auto).  Sturmgewher is a good place to start looking for all the above.

Forget about buying stuff that’ll work with the link.  Forget about getting a low shelf lower.  Forget about getting a Young Manufacturing carrier, forget about getting SP1 anything.

Low shelf lowers, I had to get milled further.  YM link compatible carriers, had to get milled (slightly) to work.  Get either one of those two, only if you actually want them.  Don’t get them if you think it’ll be drop in plug and play.  I ain’t knocking anyone.  I bought a machine gun directly from Dan Young, and got a personalized tour of his machining area.  Great guy and easy transfer.

If you choose quality uppers, lowers and carriers (within spec), you will be fine.  You can get the lower and carrier milled to work with the link.  Start looking for someone to do that for you, assuming you do not have the proper skills and tools to do it yourself.

Sure you can get the Sig and less machining on the bolt, but then you have a Sig upper.  I would only go that route if you want a Sig upper.  The saving in machine time (money) is insignificant.

What I would do.  Get whatever quality lowers you want, because they’ll be (realistically) married to the link.  Of course not legally, but if you ever sell the link, most likely you’ll offer the link compatible lower with it as a package deal.  I bought some low shelf lowers and they still needed some material taken out.  So I came to the conclusion, get whatever I want and get it milled out.

Get whatever carrier you want and get them milled.  I highly recommend getting a gas adjustable carrier.  Once again, most likely you will sell the carriers with the lower with the link, if / when you sell.

It maybe less frustrating to get several done at the same time.

No offense to anyone reading this thread.  OP, you spent $15k on the link, you have the money to get it done so you will not have to worry about it again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Op, I had m60joe clearance two low shelf lowers for me. He left the business. Check the business linked to below.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15600-lightning-link-services-hosts-ar1510-paddles/
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Gary Szechy gary@garysbunkerDOTcom (change the DOT to a ".") was recommended by M60Joe when I did my research for replacement person to do work.

He seems pretty honest because he talked me out of modifying my SP1 lower to small pin unless it breaks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the link  for JEC inc. Didn't know about them. Any reviews or experience, with JEC inc.? I have some lowers and bolt carriers, that need to be cut for my RLL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link  for JEC inc. Didn't know about them. Any reviews or experience, with JEC inc.? I have some lowers and bolt carriers, that need to be cut for my RLL.
View Quote

I emailed him earlier this week.  No response yet.  Will update.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Thanks for the link  for JEC inc. Didn't know about them. Any reviews or experience, with JEC inc.? I have some lowers and bolt carriers, that need to be cut for my RLL.
View Quote

I had him clearance a couple carriers for me and put together an upper. Turnaround time was quick and I didn't have any problems with the work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had him clearance a couple carriers for me and put together an upper. Turnaround time was quick and I didn't have any problems with the work.
View Quote

I’ll resend the email.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Still no answer from him??
I need to send my carrier and also need some paddles.

Quoted:

I’ll resend the email.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I think John was on a business trip here recently. Give him a few days to catch up, he's usually good about returning emails. He'll get you taken care of for all your RLL needs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I spoke with John he seems to know a lot about RLLs and there are plenty of folks in sturm that speak highly of his work.  

He doesn't seem to respond to emails quickly but will usually answer the phone.

I think I'm going to have him setup a couple lowers for me and mill some carriers. Thanks everyone. thanks @Steamedliver for all the info and I especially like the part about spending the money now and doing it right the first time.  

FYI the protectors are back in stock at kns and I was able to snag one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#26]
John sort of responded.  He said he would get back to me later, I suppose that counts.  I have time and patience.

Yes sir, get it done once and get it done right.  I had my lower modified so I put any in-spec upper on it without issue (no modification to the upper).  Of course I would have to have a modified carrier, but that is a given.  I had several Bootleg adjustable carriers modified to use any upper, suppressed or not.

My lower, my carrier, my LL.  Virtually any quality upper and its good.

I even have a Adam Arms piston upper modified to work, that is the only “one off” upper I have with the LL.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top