Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2022 3:43:49 PM EDT
Received this Santa Fe jungle carbine with a Savage no. 4 mk 1 for less than a tank of gas. The entire gun is in great shape and I figured it was worth the price in parts alone. LGS was unsure if the receiver is cracked or just scraped- thoughts? And I am having zero luck finding someone around me who does x-rays of firearms so I don't dare shoot it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but what bothers me about how that looks, is it appears that it was parkerized again some time after that scratch, so it's difficult to tell if it might be worse.

No vets offices would take a look at it? I understand about hospitals, but I don't know who might have the needed equipment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a crack!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The top pic just looks like it badly scratched, but the bottom pic looks like it may be a crack.

I would definitely take it somewhere to have it looked at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a crack to me
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s not a crack until a Level III calls it a crack.  Until then it is classified as a “Linear Indication”
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Drip some light oil on it and see if it dissappears or rolls down the scratch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just me but I wouldn't buy that and wouldn't trust that as a shooter. Santa Fe was known to cast poor receivers on their builds.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
See if you can find a local car repair place that will throw a magnaflux test at it. Only way to tell for sure I think.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a crack!
View Quote

This, then someone parked over it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It’s not a crack until a Level III calls it a crack.  Until then it is classified as a “Linear Indication”
View Quote

You're posting in rarefied air (you knew that) but I wanted to let you know I get it and I chuckled heartily
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn’t shoot that until someone familiar with metallurgy blesses it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm leaning this way too... but for $50 total I figured it was worth that in parts alone. Just to clarify, I refuse to shoot it so no worries. I will test the oil drip method tomorrow and update.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm leaning this way too... but for $50 total I figured it was worth that in parts alone. Just to clarify, I refuse to shoot it so no worries. I will test the oil drip method tomorrow and update.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop of Kroil and a white Q-Tip should show up easily if a crack.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Drop of Kroil and a white Q-Tip should show up easily if a crack.
View Quote

Well I dripped the oil, and it followed the crack/scratch to the barrel:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Best case scenario is that’s a scratch that has weakened the receiver and it will crack wi5 shooting it.

Worst case scenario and what I think. That’s a crack. Don’t shoot it.

What I would do with it now is get another receiver from gunbroker. Disassemble it and sent it out to a gunsmith and have him put the barrel on the new receiver.

You will still be under budget and have a great rifle you can now trust. You can also solve the head spacing issues enfields are notorious for. Which means your brass will not stretch.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
See if you can find a local car repair place that will throw a magnaflux test at it. Only way to tell for sure I think.
View Quote

This^

Auto machine shops usually have a magnaflux tool to check suspect engine parts prior to doing a lot of expensive machine work.

I’ve had the local guy check two guns I was worried about, he didn’t charge me, but I tossed him a $20 anyway.

Takes a couple minutes, basically putting your steel in a magnetic field and tossing iron dust on it. Any break in the steel will disrupt the magnetic field and the iron filings line up on it.

Pretty much the industry standard for locating cracks in steel.

Sarco has barreled receivers pretty cheap.

Ten number 4’s for $150!https://www.sarcoinc.com/search-results-page?q=enfield%20receiver
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sarco has barreled receivers pretty cheap.

Ten number 4's for $150!https://www.sarcoinc.com/search-results-page?q=enfield%20receiver
View Quote
Barrels are all toast on those ones. But I'm not gonna lie and tell you I'm not tempted to buy them just so I can make a few DeLisles, No4 faux snipers, and some more modern .308 sniper repos from them....problem is parts are friggin expensive for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top