Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2020 9:29:10 PM EDT
PVS-7 Gen 3 (Used) - $1000
Hard Head Veterans ATE Bump $200
Norotos Rhino (Surplus) - $60

This is the most cost effective way I could find to get into a decent NV setup that I could afford. Might upgrade one day, but for now I am super happy about it. What do you guys think?

Also, found an easy way to stow my lens cover. A little Velcro here, a little Gorilla glue there and pesto. I'm sure someone has done this before, but I've never seen it. Figured it'd be better than a Butler Creek flip cap. Those things break all the time.

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking awesome and great idea on the velcro.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad for 1300. Night vision never stops at a first buy. I have spent tens of thousands. I don't care what Gen 3 you have except for major blemishes Sub 1300 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent.  Now if I could just fine a gen 3 for $1k!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good to me.  I love the PVS7
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Also don’t feel shy about not running it right in front of your eyeballs. Some distance between the ocular lenses and your eyeballs is a good thing
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also don’t feel shy about not running it right in front of your eyeballs. Some distance between the ocular lenses and your eyeballs is a good thing
View Quote
Thanks for the tip. I am new to NV so I appreciate the advice!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely man! There is a point of diminishing returns but you will figure it out. Your field of view is very small compared to your natural vision so just get used to scanning left and right while under nods because jamming it in your face won’t help change the fact :)
What state are you in?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Absolutely man! There is a point of diminishing returns but you will figure it out. Your field of view is very small compared to your natural vision so just get used to scanning left and right while under nods because jamming it in your face won’t help change the fact :)
What state are you in?
View Quote
North Carolina
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

North Carolina
View Quote
If you are ever in south East tx hit me up and we can shoot!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang, come to think of it I was in Houston this last summer for the NRA Personal Protection EXPO. I'll keep it in mind. I travel a lot for work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Listen up creep, how did you get that footage of me?!?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dang, come to think of it I was in Houston this last summer for the NRA Personal Protection EXPO. I'll keep it in mind. I travel a lot for work.
View Quote
Hopefully you’re not here in the hot months (10/12 lol)
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
What’s the relevance of the prices you paid?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What’s the relevance of the prices you paid?
View Quote
I dunno. Happy about getting a deal? Are you upset I posted the prices I paid or something?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Bravo, that is a great deal on a PVS-7.

I have a soft spot for those and the old PVS-5s because I used those for many years.

I still rocked the 5s up until 2018. They were an extremely great set with clean tubes that preformed very well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Also, I figured out a really good counterweight for the PVS-7. Its balanced perfectly.

Blackhawk 40 MM Grenade Pouch. Had one lying around. Has Velcro backer all the way across, so works well. Filled with (12) one ounce silver coins and (6) AA batteries. So, have spare batteries and SHTF money at the same time, lol. Just gonna be even more an expensive loss if my helmet gets jacked tho.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I like it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#20]
First, thanks for sharing what you got & what it cost.  Has value to folks curious about what they can get into NV for.

Question:  Have you tried any range muffs (ear-pro)  UNDER the Hard Head Vets bump helmet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also don't feel shy about not running it right in front of your eyeballs. Some distance between the ocular lenses and your eyeballs is a good thing
I run mine all the way out on the G24. It prevents fogging of my glasses in the infernal central Texas humidity
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First, thanks for sharing what you got & what it cost.  Has value to folks curious about what they can get into NV for.

Question:  Have you tried any range muffs (ear-pro)  UNDER the Hard Head Vets bump helmet?
View Quote
Haven't tried muffs under the helmet. The HHV helmet has a generous pad system, I would think it'd be tight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome!  And don’t let anyone rip on you for that 7. 7’s are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here, taking a tumble down a ditch bank into some rocks convinced me some years back.  Good score, get ready to have some fun w/ that setup
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Way to go that is a very good first NV set up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Great buy on the 7s, but you got taken on the Rhino I by paying 4X the amount they're worth. A Rhino II would have been a better buy since it's more sturdier, has vertical adjustment and can be found for 35-65 dollars new. PVS7s are great and eaiser to learn on since both eyes are aided. The first upgrade I'd do ASAP is making ir buying a lanyard which can be simple piece of 550 or a shoestring tethered to you helmet then attached to your 7s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dunno. Happy about getting a deal? Are you upset I posted the prices I paid or something?
View Quote
Hey man. Don’t pay me no nevermind and don’t nobody pay your bills but you. PVS-7s are great and $1k is a score.

I’ve just never understood the “Look how much money I saved” mindset. To me it’s as equally baffling as remarking “Look how much money I overpaid”.

That’s all. Keep enjoying your purchase. You will enjoy it. I’ve found PVS7s actually somewhat easier to use (save for ruined natural NV in both eyes) than PVS14s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I love these threads.

All the digital guys going “ommmmggggg you don’t need gen 3. It will cost you 50k!”

And here you are with an awesome set up for a reasonable cost that will serve you perfectly well for years.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m jealous my first setup cost way more.
I second the idea buy a surplus rhino II and sell that one you’ll be happy you did. You can also upgrade the rhino II to dovetail down the road for another $60ish
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hey man. Don’t pay me no nevermind and don’t nobody pay your bills but you. PVS-7s are great and $1k is a score.

I’ve just never understood the “Look how much money I saved” mindset. To me it’s as equally baffling as remarking “Look how much money I overpaid”.

That’s all. Keep enjoying your purchase. You will enjoy it. I’ve found PVS7s actually somewhat easier to use (save for ruined natural NV in both eyes) than PVS14s.
View Quote
Its called a discussion forum for a reason.

Nice score OP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love these threads.

All the digital guys going “ommmmggggg you don’t need gen 3. It will cost you 50k!”

And here you are with an awesome set up for a reasonable cost that will serve you perfectly well for years.
View Quote
I know right?! I used to think that way, "Can't get decent NV w/o spending $5000". Took me a long time to find the right deal. Bought this from a co-worker. He has other NV so he wasn't heartbroken. He has a digital NV rifle scope. Was really cool. It was even in color. One big thing I noticed that I didn't like about digital is the LAG! No way would I use that in a dynamic environment when what I'm looking at might not be right where I think it is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like a great way to get started!

Now just make sure to get out and use it. One thing I really like about NV is it doesn't have to involve shooting. Another thing I really like about NV is it can involve shooting
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: Haven't tried muffs under the helmet. The HHV helmet has a generous pad system, I would think it'd be tight.
View Quote
No worries.  If you get a chance it'd be nice if you posted back.  Some apparently work, some don't, some folks remove a little padding to accomodate 'em... naturally it also depends greatly on the muffs.  Just curious.
:)
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No worries.  If you get a chance it'd be nice if you posted back.  Some apparently work, some don't, some folks remove a little padding to accomodate 'em... naturally it also depends greatly on the muffs.  Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Haven't tried muffs under the helmet. The HHV helmet has a generous pad system, I would think it'd be tight.
I'll try my muffs and let ya know.

One thing I noticed that I wasn't aware of. (More I play with the PVS, more I learn). It seems to have an auto shutoff. I know higher end Nods had that feature, but wasn't certain mine had it. When I have my Nods in the Rhino, and I flip them up they shut off. I know, because when I flip them back down I have to turn them off, then turn them on again. Hoping that is an intended feature and I don't have issues with my unit already. I know my unit has ABC and an IR illum built in, but pretty sure no autogating (No whine when turned on).
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll try my muffs and let ya know.

One thing I noticed that I wasn't aware of. (More I play with the PVS, more I learn). It seems to have an auto shutoff. I know higher end Nods had that feature, but wasn't certain mine had it. When I have my Nods in the Rhino, and I flip them up they shut off. I know, because when I flip them back down I have to turn them off, then turn them on again. Hoping that is an intended feature and I don't have issues with my unit already. I know my unit has ABC and an IR illum built in, but pretty sure no autogating (No whine when turned on).
View Quote
Flipping them up is an auto shut off feature of the Rhino mounts, but sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It can also shut off if you're looking up or unconventional shooting positions. If you turn your 7s place your ear next to where the front lens and the housing meets, if you hear a faint whine it's autogated. If you don't hear anything don't worry it's not going to explode if you get short exposures to white light.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]
If the auto shut off is like the one on the pvs 14 you can bypass it if it’s not working right.
To do that just use electrical tape over the contacts on the J arm
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If the auto shut off is like the one on the pvs 14 you can bypass it if it’s not working right.
To do that just use electrical tape over the contacts on the J arm
View Quote
Seems to be working right. Just didn't know it was there on this set. Just supprised my is all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seems to be working right. Just didn't know it was there on this set. Just supprised my is all.
View Quote
Awesome man. I did this to my friend’s two 14s cause they were intermittently turning off
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Now that I have my helmet set up all squared away, I find myself wearing my nods around the house all the time. My wife says I'm weird and I keep fighting my two and a half year old son for turns wearing the nods. At least he thinks they're cool, lol.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Now that I have my helmet set up all squared away, I find myself wearing my nods around the house all the time. My wife says I'm weird and I keep fighting my two and a half year old son for turns wearing the nods. At least he thinks they're cool, lol.  
View Quote
A great game to play with little ones before bedtime is to hide certain toys or stuffed animals around the room, then try to have them locate them using NV.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A great game to play with little ones before bedtime is to hide certain toys or stuffed animals around the room, then try to have them locate them using NV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a great idea! Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is cool.

Quoted:
Its called a discussion forum for a reason.
Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree.  I've read & had a couple folks tell me that when I get mine not to focus on the weapon initially but walk around the yard or hunting property, just routine getting used to them, tie your shoelaces in the dark, that kind of thing.  When I finally get setup I'm looking forward to maybe walking the younger grand-kids' little nieces/nephews around for Halloween when they sojourn on the edge of town.  Put a little piece of glint tape on them... Has to be way cooler than their dad tying a chemlight on their back which, I'm told, completely "un-cools" the costume.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I agree.  I've read & had a couple folks tell me that when I get mine not to focus on the weapon initially but walk around the yard or hunting property, just routine getting used to them, tie your shoelaces in the dark, that kind of thing.  When I finally get setup I'm looking forward to maybe walking the younger grand-kids' little nieces/nephews around for Halloween when they sojourn on the edge of town.  Put a little piece of glint tape on them... Has to be way cooler than their dad tying a chemlight on their back which, I'm told, completely "un-cools" the costume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, visible chem-lights are lame. IR chem-lights are the beez kneez. Need me some of those. I for one have been wearing my nods all weekend.

Took out the trash wearing them.
Watched a movie wearing them.
Made the coffee wearing them.
Took a duce wearing them.

I love these things. I never want to take them off. If only my two and a half year old son would back off. "Daddy, my turn. Daddy, me try them. Daddy, I want see nods."  
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ya, visible chem-lights are lame. IR chem-lights are the beez kneez. Need me some of those. I for one have been wearing my nods all weekend.

I love these things. I never want to take them off. If only my two and a half year old son would back off. "Daddy, my turn. Daddy, me try them. Daddy, I want see nods."  
View Quote
I hope your kidding about watching a movie while wearing your NV. All light IR or visible kills your nods slowly amd even if they're autogated watching TV or long exposure to bright lights is a bad idea. Also the gain only adjust what your eye sees not how much light is entering the tube.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hope your kidding about watching a movie while wearing your NV. All light IR or visible kills your nods slowly amd even if they're autogated watching TV or long exposure to bright lights is a bad idea. Also the gain only adjust what your eye sees not how much light is entering the tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kept the lens cap on during all of the above events, except taking out the trash and taking a duce. I closed the bathroom door and turned the lights off. My wife has officially started calling me dork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top