Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It seemed there was a time they submitted for multiple models, got disapproved for one or more, and had to resubmit (possibly with alterations) but I don't know all those details, as I obviously wasn't following their situation very closely. I didn't know they had accepted money for the 550. The last info I had heard was that they got approval for the 551, 553, and the 550 was rejected/denied (which didn't mean they weren't still working on it). I'm not the only person who heard the same info at that time either. I really didn't just make it up. I knew they had sold all the 551s but hadn't seen anything lately about the 550. I didn't realize my info was obsolete and superseded.

I apologize for not checking for an update before posting. I attempted to correct my mistake by quoting the JDI news page. I was not trying to rain on your 550 import parade. This is obviously a big deal for you.

I'll try to do better next time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The ATF had previously turned down "pistols" with over a 16 inch barrel and that was the hold up. However they have apparently changed their mind and will approve the pistols with over a 16 inch barrel now granted it meets the "test" requirements
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ATF had previously turned down "pistols" with over a 16 inch barrel and that was the hold up. However they have apparently changed their mind and will approve the pistols with over a 16 inch barrel now granted it meets the "test" requirements
View Quote
JDI just set the record straight on their FB page.  The 550s were approved back in December.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
lol rough crowd. IM just happy theyre coming in. Childhood dreams and all.
DOes anyone remember if they will come with the built in bipod?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Well great news today...
551 LB and 751LB ATF approved looking at June still

June is going to be a great month for anyone who got one or some of these!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice for collecting/authenticity, pretty mediocre to shot off of. It's been a few years though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes bipod is included
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
anyone speak with Dave lately? i'm having a tough time getting a hold of him, and i'm wondering if he is overseas or something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

anyone speak with Dave lately? i'm having a tough time getting a hold of him, and i'm wondering if he is overseas or something.
View Quote
I just sent him an email earlier today and he responded in less than an hour.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he’s been back from Switzerland for almost 2 weeks
I use messenger and he gets back to me pretty fast typically within 30 minutes
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback gents.
I'm sure the bipod sucks, more for the cool factor.
now to find an el cheapo bayonet that fits :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The stgw 57 / 510 bayonet fits the 550 and I see them at gun shows all day long for $35.00

I have a 550 bayonet but keeping it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Have a couple 550 bayonets for sale on rifle parts board
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My 553 is built and currently awaiting export approval from the Swiss powers that be.  I've got a deposit on a 751 LB (16") as well.  I'll report back when both come in.  Dave's been great about answering questions and keeping me in the loop on the whole process.  The custom-order 553s do take quite a while (6 months or so on mine).  I'll report back when they arrive.

For those asking about 922r parts, there is enough stuff out there to do it.  I'm leaving the 553 a pistol with the SBT SOB brace, but will be putting a stock on the 751.  I'm going to use a US 556 trigger (the trigger on these is just a stamped metal piece), Shooting Sight hammer and sear, modded MOE grip, 556 charging handle (there is debate as to whether or not this counts as an op-rod but swapping with the US one I have in a drawer is no big deal), muzzle device TBD, and will be getting some floorplates CNC machined for my mags.  I know nobody checks for this stuff, but I figure having one of the 135 751s in the country might draw a few more interested eyeballs than most at the range, and I can make it compliant without any real sacrifice other than the cost of the CNC floorplates which should add a little durability.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
You should only need one US floor plate, per the ATF letter that says swapping mags doesn't count as "assembly".

Is there a "how-to" for modding the MOE grips?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Question on the 553. I see it comes with up to a 13.6" barrel. Can they build this to a 16" rifle? Or is it pistol only?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 553 is built and currently awaiting export approval from the Swiss powers that be.  I've got a deposit on a 751 LB (16") as well.  I'll report back when both come in.  Dave's been great about answering questions and keeping me in the loop on the whole process.  The custom-order 553s do take quite a while (6 months or so on mine).  I'll report back when they arrive.
View Quote
I have a 553 LB coming in that same shipment.  Last I heard, they were supposed to ship out last Friday and be here in the States by today.  Has this time-frame changed?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Question on the 553. I see it comes with up to a 13.6" barrel. Can they build this to a 16" rifle? Or is it pistol only?
View Quote
They are not available with a 16" barrel, if that is your question.  All 553s that are imported into the US have to come in configured as a "pistol" without a buttstock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are not available with a 16" barrel, if that is your question.  All 553s that are imported into the US have to come in configured as a "pistol" without a buttstock.
View Quote
Gotcha, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You should only need one US floor plate, per the ATF letter that says swapping mags doesn't count as "assembly".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wasn't aware of that magazine clarification, that's cool.  I'll probably get a bunch of them made anyway, as much of the cost will be in having the design work done.

I am not aware of a tutorial for modding the grip, but it looks like a fairly simple trim to fit sort of operation.  I will be leaving my 553 grip alone since it's just getting the SBT brace, but will report back after I get it sorted on the 751 whenever it shows up.

Quoted:
I have a 553 LB coming in that same shipment.  Last I heard, they were supposed to ship out last Friday and be here in the States by today.  Has this time-frame changed?
I got an update from Dave shortly after my post that he's waiting on the first shipment, which includes mine and likely yours as well, to clear customs.  SOOOOOON!

Which options did you get on your LB?  Mine is black, Rotex FH, aluminum swiss lower, diopter sights.

Quoted:

It wouldn't be a 553 anymore.  The 551 LB and 550 are your rifle length options.  They're sold out, but I believe you will be able to get them in conversion kit form at some point.  They all have to come in as pistols, even the long barrel variants.  Making those into a rifle is a cakewalk though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which options did you get on your LB?  Mine is black, Rotex FH, aluminum swiss lower, diopter sights.
View Quote
Green furniture, steel lower, diopter sights, 4 position gas valve and removable flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Green furniture, steel lower, diopter sights, 4 position gas valve and removable flash hider.  
View Quote
Just got the call for my FFL and settling my balance!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just got the call for my FFL and settling my balance!
View Quote
Mine should be at my FFL on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine should be at my FFL on Monday.
View Quote
Mine too. I'll be refreshing the FedEx tab like a fool until then. :D
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC, the legs aren't rigid enough.

Been quite awhile though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#26]
My 553P arrived!

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is the URL you need
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 553P arrived!

https://i.imgur.com/n3M7nHt.jpg
View Quote
Gorgeous. I love the low optic rail. And the T2 looks like an ideal height with that rail and mount height. An excellent setup. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll play

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gorgeous. I love the low optic rail. And the T2 looks like an ideal height with that rail and mount height. An excellent setup. Congrats!
View Quote
Thanks! The low rail is the 10mm steel rail from https://www.gunfactory.ch/.  With the Aimpoint LRP QD mount (pictured) or the low fixed mount and any of the micros, you can get a full cowitness with the irons. Fit and finish on the mount are awesome. It was a bit spendy and took a few weeks to get here, but Rolf at Gunfactory was helpful and verified in advance that it would cowitness the way I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#32]
How spendy was it exactly, including shipping, if you don't mind?

That does look like the best low rail in existence.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How spendy was it exactly, including shipping, if you don't mind?

That does look like the best low rail in existence.
View Quote
$249 shipped. It's expensive to start, and the exchange rate and shipping costs aren't favorable. Cost is similar to the B&T mount, but about 100 bucks more than the Fab Defense mounts that are commonly available in the US. I like it way better than the 16mm height standard ones. I have no regrets on the purchase. The quality of the mount is really nice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#34]
FYI -  CDNN also has mags for 550 series reasonable.  On sale for $26.99.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sg-550-551-20rd-223-smoke-poly-factory-mag.html?___SID=U#.WvQZSaQvzIU
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Need a deal like that on 30s!  I bought some of these a couple week back.  They're in Sig USA wrappers, but are legit Swiss mags.  Mine were all Demann OEM.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wish I could still get my hands on a PE-57 preferably in 308....or at least even a parts kit I could rebuild.
Pretty interesting, relatively unknown gun. Seems like only a few parts kits came to the country and the rest just disappeared.
View Quote
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/24/taurus-ct30-carbine-last-joint-venture-famae/

these ct-30 not super excellently reliable, but a neat lil 30 carbine in sig clothes be neat
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Generally when people say this, it is that the layout/location of controls for operation in relation to the human body  (hands, fingers) are more ideal.

The use on controls for an AR15 are indeed very well placed (safety/selector, mag release,) which make it faster to manipulate.

Better ergonomics doesn't necessarily mean a gun is better in other aspects (quality of materials, fit of parts, durability, etc. etc)

My Sig 556 layout for controls in my opinion is not as good as an AR15, (factory selector is not as good) but it is better than most and the guns are fairly well made and comfortable to shoot.

LV's video on the Russian pistol 553  - love it!
View Quote
The 5xx series handles much better with heavy gloves than an AR IMHO.

Look at Swiss rifles and a lot of the controls are big. The best example would be the "keg" bolt handle on the K31s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Definitely need some affordable 30s. I got a butt ton of these 20s when 44mag had thme years ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 5xx series handles much better with heavy gloves than an AR IMHO.  
View Quote
Yep. They were designed with heavy winter gloves in mind, and it shows. I like their controls.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#40]
you guys getting your guns now - if you don't mind me asking - when did you order?

i've got a ways to go on mine, but i'm curious...
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

you guys getting your guns now - if you don't mind me asking - when did you order?

View Quote
I ordered at the end of October, it took about 6 months. Dave said ordering diopter sights often increases the wait significantly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My 553P arrived!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My 553P arrived!
Quoted:
I'll play
Wow, those look great!  Two questions for you both- Do your braces fold to the side like a Swiss stock, or are they fixed?  I checked the SB Tactical website and found the SOB, but not the adapter for the Swiss guns.  Is it the one from JDI?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
End of August for me.  Took a bit longer than the projected 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wow, those look great!  Two questions for you both- Do your braces fold to the side like a Swiss stock, or are they fixed?  I checked the SB Tactical website and found the SOB, but not the adapter for the Swiss guns.  Is it the one from JDI?
View Quote
The brace does fold to the side, and I did use the adapter from JDI which is SAN-produced. The only downside versus the stock is that the brace doesn't have the locking insert to clip it on to the handguard, but that's not a big deal for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The brace does fold to the side, and I did use the adapter from JDI which is SAN-produced. The only downside versus the stock is that the brace doesn't have the locking insert to clip it on to the handguard, but that's not a big deal for me.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
I have this setup. You can use a Shockwave blade brace and just cut a small square hole in the right spot and it will clip right onto the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#47]
might be of interest

Swiss SAN SG553-SB, SG553-LB, & Arm Brace from Swiss Imports (JDI)
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm looking to get a SAN gun in the future but debating between buying a 553 LB or waiting for the 551 LB or 551 conversion kit.

Is Dave accepting money to guarantee a spot for the 551 LB or 551 conversion kits?

What is the thread pitch for the 55x rifles being imported? I'm contemplating a pin and weld for a 553 LB so I can get my hands on a SAN rifle sooner but I would feel kind of bad for having such work done lol

Also, has Dave gotten any shipments of 553 Trigger housing Aluminum USA before? I keep checking but never seem to see it in stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a SAN gun in the future but debating between buying a 553 LB or waiting for the 551 LB or 551 conversion kit.

Is Dave accepting money to guarantee a spot for the 551 LB or 551 conversion kits?

What is the thread pitch for the 55x rifles being imported? I'm contemplating a pin and weld for a 553 LB so I can get my hands on a SAN rifle sooner but I would feel kind of bad for having such work done lol

Also, has Dave gotten any shipments of 553 Trigger housing Aluminum USA before? I keep checking but never seem to see it in stock.
View Quote
JDI does not seem to stock anything. You have to just call Dave and order what you want.

Re: 553 LB vs. 551 vs 551 LB, if a title-1 rifle is your goal, I would go with a 551 LB.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

JDI does not seem to stock anything. You have to just call Dave and order what you want.

Re: 553 LB vs. 551 vs 551 LB, if a title-1 rifle is your goal, I would go with a 551 LB.
View Quote
I would go with the 551 LB but it seems like it was limited to 51 imports. :(
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top