Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2018 7:15:35 PM EDT
Need a little a information about JC Higgins Model 45.  General information is easy to find, but there are a few details about an individual example recently found.

It may be a good project.  It is mechanically fine and not beat up, but has significant finish wear.  I could be a good restoration, refinish or customizing project; being not valuable/collectible, harming value wouldn't be concern.

Even though it is the "cheap" store version of the Marlin, it has a walnut stock and smooth metal and no silly cross bolt safety; it appears much better made than any of the new Remington built Marlins.

The barrel does NOT have Microgroove rifling.  Is this a characteristic of all the JC Higgins versions vs the real Marlins?  Or is this because it was made before Marlin did the Microgroove?

Except for the front sight, lack of bullseye in the stock and barrel markings, it appears identical to a regular Marlin. Is there any real difference?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up one of these a long time ago. Covered in rust. No butt stock.
Tore it all down soaked it in ATF then lightly scrubbed with a soft scotchbrite pad.
The inside was all good. Some parts like the screw block for the foreend cap. Seamed
Like Marlin factory seconds.  
Put a ramline stock on it and an old Luepold 3x7 scope. And it shoots fantastic! Just like every other Marlin 336.
Let my young step son  carry it for deer hunting. Never worried about it getting dinged or scratch.
I think I paid $70.00 ....or was it $50.00. IDk : )
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok this is going to be kinda a test. Using a new to me image hosting site.

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one years ago and sold it to a friend who wanted it more than I did. He still hunts with it and he is a good friend so I don't regret it too much. It was quite accurate when I shot it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, it is a real Marlin 336, just made on contract and marked as such for Sears.  Parts are 100% interchangeable.  Yours may be old enough to be pre-microgroove as microgroove in 30 cal started in 1956.

I am pretty sure the serial numbers are consistent with regular Marlin runs.  Check the serial and compare it to the Marlin date code charts to get the year of manufacture.  It may be a letter or you may have to subtract the first two numbers from 100 to get the date.

MLG
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#5]
@survivor45

Which model of Ramline stock did you for to this rifle? I've only been able to find Ramline stocks for barrel band rifles, but I have an end-cap Glenfield that I'd like to give an all-weather stock. Did the stock require much modification?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@survivor45

Which model of Ramline stock did you for to this rifle? I've only been able to find Ramline stocks for barrel band rifles, but I have an end-cap Glenfield that I'd like to give an all-weather stock. Did the stock require much modification?
View Quote
Well thank you for noticing that subtle detail. There is only one Ramline stock available for these and yes that's the one I used.
Minor fitting to get the fore end into the end cap. I then filled the gap with epoxy. I used Brownells glass bedding compound.
Sanded flush. Then sprayed both butt stock and fore end with some basic krylon texture. The sprayed over that with satin black.
Here are a few photos.  
upload pics
Not a great photo. But it's all I got on my phone. If you look close you can see where the stock ends and the bedding compound starts.

.free upload
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you very much for the reply! I wondered if it was possible to fit the stock to an endcap rifle but didn't want to spend $50 on a stock that might not work out. You answered that question for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top