Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2021 1:41:40 AM EDT
I was with my late wife and daughter (now 14) in Orlando at Disney. It was after breakfast and we were getting ready to go to the park. I had the news on.

Osama Bin Laden had been located in a residence in Abbottabad Pakistan and had been properly sorted out by the U.S. Navy.

It was over.

I took a call later that morning at the park from my boss at AAC confirming that the last thing the projectiles that ended the greatest manhunt in history had passed through was the airspace in one of our AAC 416-SD suppressors.

SilentMike

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m not sure what to say @altmike. Sorry for your loss of your late wife. May she Rest In Peace.

Now, about OBL…good riddance. It’s cool that something you had your hands in either designing or marketing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. The 416-SD was a group effort. Sam Fisher of Texas designed the 51Tmount. Rob Silvers designed the ultra-low-flash 3-prong Blackout Flash Hider. I worked on the ported, stamped Inconel baffle stack.

The Navy properly applied our design.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
May your wife's memory be a blessing.

Hard work is good work - job well done to you and your team.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for your loss.  Awesome to know OBL was taken out with an AAC attached.

Side note, love my AAC's, wish I could find 90t/51t devices these days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The folks that bought AAC from the Remington bankruptcy are well aware of the AAC accessory drought. Give it a little time. I'm sure they'll get the tap turned back on.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet quite a few people would love to have a commemorative edition of that suppressor.  Just a field test date would suffice.

Good job keeping a little bit of functional history alive on a superb and proud team effort.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a proud American that day and I bet you are too having been a part of it.

Keep up the good fight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May your wife's memory be a blessing.

Hard work is good work - job well done to you and your team.
View Quote

Couldn’t have said it better
Thanks for supporting the good guys
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. The 416-SD was a group effort. Sam Fisher of Texas designed the 51Tmount. Rob Silvers designed the ultra-low-flash 3-prong Blackout Flash Hider. I worked on the ported, stamped Inconel baffle stack.

SilentMike
View Quote

Sam is Mongo, right?  

I remember Silvers doing an interview about his blackout flash hider design.  That was neat.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sam is Mongo, right?  

I remember Silvers doing an interview about his blackout flash hider design.  That was neat.

Jay
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilentMike

Sam is Mongo, right?  

Jay

Link to interview?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link to interview?
View Quote

This may be what Jay is referring to: https://www.vuurwapenblog.com/technical-issuesnotes/how-flash-suppressors-work/
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. That's Sam.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you had a part in the design, I’m gonna get off my a$$ and laser an argyle print on my m4-2k. It’s gonna be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#14]
A SEAL on another forum I frequent posted earlier that evening with something to the effect of "Patriotic Americans, great news on the way. Standby...." and also posted a response to a guy bashing the military telling him that it may take a few days to hear about, but he is about to eat the biggest serving of crow ever.

Guy still posts there and is still a SEAL, so apparently nothing came of his comments.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Best Wishes Mike S.

Quoted:

Sam is Mongo, right?  

View Quote

Mongo was his cat. Mongo63A (63 as in Stoner 63) and Saxon_Engineer were his screen names. I think he also designed the Enigma, a 9mm monocore AAC never brought to market. He hangs out on NFATalk now.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A SEAL on another forum I frequent posted earlier that evening with something to the effect of "Patriotic Americans, great news on the way. Standby...." .
View Quote

I got the news from The Rock.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Love your annual threads.  That is something you should ALWAYS be proud of.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Best Wishes Mike S.

Mongo was his cat. Mongo63A (63 as in Stoner 63) and Saxon_Engineer were his screen names. I think he also designed the Enigma, a 9mm monocore AAC never brought to market. He hangs out on NFATalk now.

View Quote

One of the very few knowledgeable engineers I know.  

It has to be really cool to know that your work was used on such a historic mission.

Nice work to all parties involved.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#19]
That’s a badass story OP.   Very cool!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bet quite a few people would love to have a commemorative edition of that suppressor.  Just a field test date would suffice.

Good job keeping a little bit of functional history alive on a superb and proud team effort.
View Quote

"AAC suppressor, turn that Tali-BAM into a Tali-Phbt."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top