Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 4:38:54 PM EDT
So more years ago than I would like to remember, I bought my first air rifle, an HW 50.

It was a very accurate break barrel that I kept for many years.  I sold it to an acquaintance.  Really have a hard time calling him a friend due to his very liberal ways and when he asked me if I wanted to sell an air rifle, darn near dropped to the ground  --- I did.

Anyhow, I took it apart and cleaned it up real nice, plopped a scope on it and got it shooting within a nickle size groups at 40 yards before it left my hands.

Then came the TX200, the Walther LGU and the HW 97 thumbhole stainless.  These were and still are often one holers at the same 40 yards.

Something was still missing.  When Umarex came out with the Gauntlet, a cheap regulated PCP, I couldn't resist and I grabbed one of the first.  I also got a hand pump and it gave me a good workout to get that tank up to 3000 PSI.

That gun had its problems and the first thing I did was void the warranty.  I got into the lousy trigger and changed a spring or two as well as polished all mating surfaces.  I added some shims to the Ninja regulator to get the power up just a little and added a JSAR tuning kit for the hammer spring.  I also added a stiff spring which pressed down hard on the barrel when the shroud end cap was screwed in to prevent even a slight tap on the barrel from altering the point of impact.  I got that cheapo shooting a one hole group also.

Voices in my head would not go away.  I made the big mistake of looking into a Daystate Wolverine which was redesigned with a Huma regulator.  The beautiful walnut stock and the newly regulated internals was too much to resist.  I added one to the flock and even though it is a top shelf gun, I went and voided the warranty once more by doing further trigger work to make the break crisper and lighter.

All went well for a while and once again the disease took hold.  I bought and waited a year for a Jefferson State Air Rifle Raptor.  When it came, it didn't take long to realize these guns were made for high power and larger calibers than my 177 desires.  It took a lot of tuning and playing with some internals to get that gun shooting well.  The problem was that the adjustments were so precise that a 1/8 or 1/16 turn of a screw was enough to send pellets off into oblivion.  That gun was quickly sold.  It was way to touchy.

The bug was still active and the Raptor just had to be replaced.  I was beginning to understand the relationships between hammer tension, valve port size, and regulator pressure by now.  I also knew that a fully adjustable gun like some of the FX models could be more of a nuisance than a help for my shooting conditions, but I did like the idea of SOME adjustment so my research led me to Daystate once again.

This time I went electric.  The Red Wolf, an electronically controlled pre-charged  pneumatic was on the radar.  I read reviews to be sure the electronics were not a problem and everything came up roses.  So here it is.  This is the most accurate of any gun I own.  The lock time between when the trigger breaks and when the pellet leaves the barrel is considerably faster than the others because it is electronically controlled.  The digital readout gives air tank pressure readings and the gun can be set to three power levels.

Daystate is coming out with an even more feature stacked gun called the Delta Wolf.  The problem is that the Delta is one of those "stubbies," commonly known as a bullpup.  I can and will make this statement right here and now.  I will never own a stubby,  I think they are ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road.  You can hold me to that.

I was going to load a picture of a bullpup but this came up.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice story. You definitely have what I call "the affliction".

I've got the bug too. I have had it since I was 7 years old, so I've been this way for over 50 years now...

BTW, the FX Wildcat, Dreamline Bull Pup, and Bobcat, are a thing of beauty if you have to judge them on their performance and ability to be handy in thickets.
I agree they are not much to look at, but I tend to forgive those aesthetic issues when the performance and targets are beautiful.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
So, how are you filling that bottle gun.  I'm sure you are not still using a hand pump, unless you like abusing yourself.

Glad you got the walnut version instead of the original red laminate.  Though, I still do not like the looks of that stock shape.  It is the one thing that in my opinion Daystate gets completely wrong.   Another bother with Daystate is the magazines.  Other than that, the darn things are winning matches and taking names.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Long before the Woo Hoo Flu stuff I got a good deal on a Yong Heng compressor.  I have since pretty much stopped buying anything from China which makes it that I can no longer buy anything.

A lot of people don't seem to like the Red Wolf stock.  It really isn't bad in the flesh, when in Walnut.  I didn't like the red bling either.  Gun stocks should be in fine wood.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, OP.  Fabulous air rifle.  I would love to own a Daystate and maybe one day I'll own one.  The first PCP air rifle I owned was a FX Cyclone.  It was an amazing and accurate air rifle.  Dime size holes out to 50 yards (ca. 46 m).  Too bad it developed an air leak and I had to send it out to repair as there isn't an air gunsmith locally.  That kind of harsh my mellow with PCP guns.  Are PCP guns very susceptible to air leaks?  How can this issue be avoided?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
"""  Are PCP guns very susceptible to air leaks?  How can this issue be avoided? """"

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw.  Other times it is the age and usage of the gun.  The "O" rings that hold air in will loose their abilities over time and are replaceable items.

A good number of air leaks are at the fill port and can be found with some soapy water and a look for bubbles.  Tightening it up often does the trick.

If you put a balloon around the barrel, with the pellet probe in the closed position and it fills up, the leak is internal and you are loosing air through the barrel.

Soapy water can locate a leak in the air tank or tube also.

"O" rings or what is known as the poppet valve are also sources of leaks.

FX guns are quite popular and there are numerous YouTube videos showing how to take them down and repair them.  Some companies supply "O" rink kits and for those that don't, you can take measurements on the factory ring and buy them off the internet from places like the oring store and others.  They are hard to measure, so I usually get a size smaller and one larger than the measurements I take.  That works well.

The Red Wolf operates quite differently than other guns.  It is electronically controlled and generally would require a trip back to a repair facility like Airguns of Arizona.  It is probably the only air gun I own that I would not, or have not gone into to repair or improve.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So more years ago than I would like to remember, I bought my first air rifle, an HW 50.

It was a very accurate break barrel that I kept for many years.  I sold it to an acquaintance.  Really have a hard time calling him a friend due to his very liberal ways and when he asked me if I wanted to sell an air rifle, darn near dropped to the ground  --- I did.

Anyhow, I took it apart and cleaned it up real nice, plopped a scope on it and got it shooting within a nickle size groups at 40 yards before it left my hands.

Then came the TX200, the Walther LGU and the HW 97 thumbhole stainless.  These were and still are often one holers at the same 40 yards.

Something was still missing.  When Umarex came out with the Gauntlet, a cheap regulated PCP, I couldn't resist and I grabbed one of the first.  I also got a hand pump and it gave me a good workout to get that tank up to 3000 PSI.

That gun had its problems and the first thing I did was void the warranty.  I got into the lousy trigger and changed a spring or two as well as polished all mating surfaces.  I added some shims to the Ninja regulator to get the power up just a little and added a JSAR tuning kit for the hammer spring.  I also added a stiff spring which pressed down hard on the barrel when the shroud end cap was screwed in to prevent even a slight tap on the barrel from altering the point of impact.  I got that cheapo shooting a one hole group also.

Voices in my head would not go away.  I made the big mistake of looking into a Daystate Wolverine which was redesigned with a Huma regulator.  The beautiful walnut stock and the newly regulated internals was too much to resist.  I added one to the flock and even though it is a top shelf gun, I went and voided the warranty once more by doing further trigger work to make the break crisper and lighter.

All went well for a while and once again the disease took hold.  I bought and waited a year for a Jefferson State Air Rifle Raptor.  When it came, it didn't take long to realize these guns were made for high power and larger calibers than my 177 desires.  It took a lot of tuning and playing with some internals to get that gun shooting well.  The problem was that the adjustments were so precise that a 1/8 or 1/16 turn of a screw was enough to send pellets off into oblivion.  That gun was quickly sold.  It was way to touchy.

The bug was still active and the Raptor just had to be replaced.  I was beginning to understand the relationships between hammer tension, valve port size, and regulator pressure by now.  I also knew that a fully adjustable gun like some of the FX models could be more of a nuisance than a help for my shooting conditions, but I did like the idea of SOME adjustment so my research led me to Daystate once again.

This time I went electric.  The Red Wolf, an electronically controlled pre-charged  pneumatic was on the radar.  I read reviews to be sure the electronics were not a problem and everything came up roses.  So here it is.  This is the most accurate of any gun I own.  The lock time between when the trigger breaks and when the pellet leaves the barrel is considerably faster than the others because it is electronically controlled.  The digital readout gives air tank pressure readings and the gun can be set to three power levels.

Daystate is coming out with an even more feature stacked gun called the Delta Wolf.  The problem is that the Delta is one of those "stubbies," commonly known as a bullpup.  I can and will make this statement right here and now.  I will never own a stubby,  I think they are ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road.  You can hold me to that.

http://i.imgur.com/NcNhFCV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gz8HKJD.jpg

I was going to load a picture of a bullpup but this came up.  

http://i.imgur.com/gtKp58x.jpg
View Quote

WOW, thats an amazing PCP. Thanks for sharing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top