Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2020 1:26:33 PM EDT
I am looking at upgrading the optic setup for my 16 and 17. Have my tax stamps and need to get my barrels cut down to length. Right now I am running an Aimpoint Comp M4S on my 16 and a PA 3x ACSS Prism on my 17. The 17 is the priority for upgrading, but wouldn't mind putting the Aimpoint on another rifle and possibly getting something new for the 16.

From my research it seems three of the better options based on what people recommend for the SCAR would be:

- a quality LPVO (something like 1-6x or 1-8x)
- an EOTech + G33 magnifier
- Elcan SpectreDR

I understand the advantage the LPVO offers with the higher magnification (6x/8x) that I would get over a SpectreDR or a G33 magnifier. Something like a Vortex Razor II 1-6x or the new 1-10x won't save me much weight over the Elcan or EOTech + G33. They are all close enough that it seems like a wash.

I run EOTechs on several other guns and I like them. But for the SCAR I would an optic with some sort of BDC. One negative with the EOTech for the SCAR17, is that none of the EOTech EXPS3-4 reticles work for 7.62x51, just 5.56. So that kind of takes it off the list for the 17 at least. Would work for the 16.

Then the SpectreDR which has come down quite a lot recently and is more attractive now for around $1500-1600 range. Honestly I probably shoot my 16 out to 350-400 yards max. The 17 out to 600-650 yards max, but more often much closer.. So while a 1-8x or 1-10x might be nice to have, the magnification is just a bit of an overkill for the distances I typically shoot at.

So how does the SpectreDR stack up against other optic options available today? I know it isn't perfect, but it seems like a very good option. Unless there is something else I should consider for a 13" SCAR 17 or a 10" SCAR 16?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I still think a LPVO will be better. I would like to see a new gen elcan with some improvments though. I dig the idea of them  a lot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 17” and a 13” 17S (waiting on 6.5CM for 20S):

17” is for mid range and/or stationary shooting. Equipped with Elcan 1.5-6x or EOTech Vudu 5-25x (will move to 20S when I get one).

13” is for short range and/or run & gun. Equipped with EOTech EXPS2-0 + G33 (removed when not needed).

Swap in Pulsar Thermion XP50 when needed.

I like to configure optics/gun to each use case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I wnt from LPVO's to the Elcan.  Weight/balance is better, built in mounting system, takes less space on the 12 o'clock rail, and I never use 2x or 3x anyways and its faster to go up or down magnification.  Illuminator has NV settings, and its built like a tank.  Where are the cons?

*My experiences based on USO SN4 1.5-6x DFP, Vortex Razor HD 1-6, Vortex PST 1-4x.*
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wnt from LPVO's to the Elcan.  Weight/balance is better, built in mounting system, takes less space on the 12 o'clock rail, and I never use 2x or 3x anyways and its faster to go up or down magnification.  Illuminator has NV settings, and its built like a tank.  Where are the cons?

*My experiences based on USO SN4 1.5-6x DFP, Vortex Razor HD 1-6, Vortex PST 1-4x.*
View Quote

Typically cost was an issue, as well as the mounting levers from ARMS sometimes being a hassle, and the external mounting system being something that isn't always considered desirable.  And there's also weight, bulk, and balance being up to individual taste.

When pricing the others you listed, it seems that cost is about the same anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I still think a LPVO will be better.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Best is subjective to preferences. A DR is an excellent optic to pair with the 17. I prefer the 11/RMR combo, but if I hadn’t gone that route I probably would have went with another DR.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still think a LPVO will be better. I would like to see a new gen elcan with some improvments though. I dig the idea of them  a lot.
View Quote

What LPVO would you recommend?

Quoted:

17” is for mid range and/or stationary shooting. Equipped with Elcan 1.5-6x or EOTech Vudu 5-25x (will move to 20S when I get one).

13” is for short range and/or run & gun. Equipped with EOTech EXPS2-0 + G33 (removed when not needed).

View Quote

And that is what lead me to the Elcan. That I could do both the short range/run & gun + mid-range fairly well with a 1-4x and that BDC. I have enjoyed that ability with my ACSS reticle I have on it now. But want something a little nicer now. The EOTech + G33 is the other one I have been thinking about using, but then I would want a different optic for mid-range setup. So basically have to buy two.

Quoted:

View Quote

@FrankW134, thanks for posting that. Your analysis is similar to what I came to conclude. The old con was the price when they were +$2000. But the price has come down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know how far off the 7.62 SpectreDR BDC reticle be off for a 13" SCAR 17?  What about the 5.56 SpectreDR BDC with a 10" SCAR 16?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And that is what lead me to the Elcan. That I could do both the short range/run & gun + mid-range fairly well with a 1-4x and that BDC. I have enjoyed that ability with my ACSS reticle I have on it now. But want something a little nicer now. The EOTech + G33 is the other one I have been thinking about using, but then I would want a different optic for mid-range setup. So basically have to buy two.

@FrankW134, thanks for posting that. Your analysis is similar to what I came to conclude. The old con was the price when they were +$2000. But the price has come down quite a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both of mine were under $1400, like new.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
For what its worth, I'm happy with the Elcan 1.5x/6x on my 17S. I've shot it out to 500m without issue. I do have to take my time at that range. I doubt 6x would be of much use to me past 600m. But that's my middle-aged eyes. I work with an ex Army sniper that has eagle eyes and can shoot iron sights out to 500m. He makes me sick.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone able to speak how the Elcan BDC works with shorter barrels?

Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/G0MKsyU.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice. Good deal too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I would feel confident on trusting the BDC to 5 or 600m, especially for a combat application. Running M80, it looks like it's just ~70 FPS drop, and only 5 or 6 inches at 500m between a 16'' bbl and a 13'' (Based on this source). I did have my 1-4x 7.62 BDC Elcan on for a range trip, but I fucked up and zero'd it with my suppressor off, so I didn't end up taking to out to the 3/4/5/6/7/800m steel target range like I meant to.  

However, I'm personally torn on optics for my 17; do I keep it light with a TA33 w/ 7.62 BDC, sacrificing a little magnification and FOV for light weight (the Scar feels so handy with the TA33 on), throw the Elcan back on and gain a little more magnification, a lot of FOV, and the ability to go from 1 to 4x, or just go LPVO with a Vortex Razor 1-6? Tough choices, but as it sits, I don't really intend to make my 13'' Scar 17 anything more than a nice light battle rifle making engagements out past 4 or 500m, but the ability to do so with a higher mag optic is definitely tempting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If I had a 13" Scar 17, I would seriously consider the Elcan 1x/4x. But I understand the desire to keep the weight down. That's the one negative thing I dislike about my Elcan 1.5x/6x on my 17S.

I'm actually considering the 1x/4x for a Tavor 7, but hate the ideal of adding 21.87oz (1.37 pounds)
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Elcan would be near the bottom of the list of things I’d want on a scar 17. They are heavy, short eye relief, and mount is lame.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice. Good deal too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/G0MKsyU.jpg?1

Nice. Good deal too.

Next time I can get out past 300 Ill do a write up with M855.  Can't find any ranges, private or public to shoot at right now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Elcan would be near the bottom of the list of things I’d want on a scar 17. They are heavy, short eye relief, and mount is lame.

View Quote

I agree on the weight, and that they should replace the ARMS Mount with an ADM or something more modern, but the 2.75" eye relief is not really all that short.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree on the weight, and that they should replace the ARMS Mount with an ADM or something more modern, but the 2.75" eye relief is not really all that short.
View Quote

I think the only downside with the Elcan for the Scar is the weight. The eye relief seems to be a non-issue on it, and I don’t really get the hate for the ARMS mount outside of being non-adjustable, however I haven’t found a rail it won’t lock securely to.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are only one or two “top tier” LPVOs that can beat it in the weight department when you factor in a quality mount.  They’re honestly not all that heavy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the only downside with the Elcan for the Scar is the weight. The eye relief is a non-issue on it, and I don’t really get the hate for the ARMS mount outside of being non-adjustable, and I have t found a rail it won’t lock securely to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the only downside with the Elcan for the Scar is the weight. The eye relief is a non-issue on it, and I don’t really get the hate for the ARMS mount outside of being non-adjustable, and I have t found a rail it won’t lock securely to.

And the Mk2 levers are adjustable and can be installed in minutes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not familiar with Mk2 levers, but would definitely agree that people often forget to factor in the added weight of a mount when mentioning the weight of an LPVO.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And the Mk2 levers are adjustable and can be installed in minutes.
View Quote

I added the MKII levers on mine, it did help switching rifle to rifle and slight rail variations.
I have a 5.56 calibrated SpecterDR and will be putting it on a scar 17 in the near future and look forward to getting some groups with the different range settings and back figuring where they actually zero at on my 7.62 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are only one or two “top tier” LPVOs that can beat it in the weight department when you factor in a quality mount.  They’re honestly not all that heavy.
View Quote

This, I don’t understand why people always say LPVO are lighter. I guess they have never owned or actually looked at the specs
I can’t think of anything else I would want on my 13” scar 17 than my elcan.
Pic
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This, I don’t understand why people always say LPVO are lighter. I guess they have never owned or actually looked at the specs
Pic
https://i.imgur.com/haawljK.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic

Any time the Elcan comes up, people invariably say it’s heavy. There are really only a couple higher-end LPVOs that come out lighter, to get there they usually all rely on using a Scalarworks mount, and even then it’s by a low couple ounces. I can only assume people that say this are either looking for a reason to not like it, regurgitating something they overheard in a bar once, or aren’t factoring in that comparing just an optic to an optic/mount combo isn’t an apples to apples comparison. There are reasons to not like the DR, but weight isn’t one of them.

ETA: I just looked it up. An NX8 in a Scalarworks is about the lightest ‘duty’ optic/mount combo you can have. Together they weigh 22.5 oz. An Elcan DR weighs 23.8 oz. A whopping 1.3 oz heavier.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any time the Elcan comes up, people invariably say it’s heavy. There are really only a couple higher-end LPVOs that come out lighter, to get there they usually all rely on using a Scalarworks mount, and even then it’s by a low couple ounces. I can only assume people that say this are either looking for a reason to not like it, regurgitating something they overheard in a bar once, or aren’t factoring in that comparing just an optic to an optic/mount combo isn’t an apples to apples comparison. There are reasons to not like the DR, but weight isn’t one of them.

ETA: I just looked it up. An NX8 in a Scalarworks is about the lightest ‘duty’ optic/mount combo you can have. Together they weigh 22.5 oz. An Elcan DR weighs 23.8 oz. A whopping 1.3 oz heavier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic

Having used a lot of the “top level” LPVOs, the Elcan will end up being damn near the lightest and will beat most others in a lot of categories aside from top end magnification.  It’s still one of my favorite LPVOs, and if they’d update to a 1x/6x (which I know they’ve already done, but it never made it to market) or 1x/8x I’d be all in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I was always curios as to why they did a 1.5x/6x instead of a 1x/6x. I assumed the 1x was just too difficult for some technical reason.
I agree that a 1x/8x would be a nice option. With my eyes, 6x only helps me see an 18" target clearly out to about 500m.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Having used a lot of the “top level” LPVOs, the Elcan will end up being damn near the lightest and will beat most others in a lot of categories aside from top end magnification.  It’s still one of my favorite LPVOs, and if they’d update to a 1x/6x (which I know they’ve already done, but it never made it to market) or 1x/8x I’d be all in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic

I’d be all over that. Just a 1/6 would be plenty for me. I definitely wish they’d update it, and it’s definitely due for one by now. 1/4 was with its peers at the time, but it’s not aging well. They must be unhappy with their sales numbers or they wouldn’t have dropped the price, but I think this would solve a good chunk of those sales numbers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was always curios as to why they did a 1.5x/6x instead of a 1x/6x. I assumed the 1x was just too difficult for some technical reason.
I agree that a 1x/8x would be a nice option. With my eyes, 6x only helps me see an 18" target clearly out to about 500m.
View Quote

At the time a 4X (1-4, 1.5-6) multiplication factor was about what the market was able to do without being overly cost/size prohibitive. But optics have advanced light years in the interim, and these days even a 6X factor is getting behind the times. 8X is becoming the norm, and even 10X now. I don’t know that I want an optic that only does 1X/10X though. I think a FFP LPVO like the new Razor would be ideal for that given it’s usable anywhere in between. If I could only choose two magnifications, at least for a general purpose non-precision rifle, a 1/6 is about ideal. It’d also help Elcan save cost, weight, and size, which I’d consider more important factors on a fighting rifle than +6X magnification.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Love my 5.56!

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Can we turn this into a elcan pic thread to trigger the haters?? Hell yes we can!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can we turn this into a elcan pic thread to trigger the haters?? Hell yes we can!
https://i.imgur.com/XhMIZOd.jpg
View Quote

This is amazing. Nice setups!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would feel confident on trusting the BDC to 5 or 600m, especially for a combat application. Running M80, it looks like it's just ~70 FPS drop, and only 5 or 6 inches at 500m between a 16'' bbl and a 13'' (Based on this source). I did have my 1-4x 7.62 BDC Elcan on for a range trip, but I fucked up and zero'd it with my suppressor off, so I didn't end up taking to out to the 3/4/5/6/7/800m steel target range like I meant to.  

However, I'm personally torn on optics for my 17; do I keep it light with a TA33 w/ 7.62 BDC, sacrificing a little magnification and FOV for light weight (the Scar feels so handy with the TA33 on), throw the Elcan back on and gain a little more magnification, a lot of FOV, and the ability to go from 1 to 4x, or just go LPVO with a Vortex Razor 1-6? Tough choices, but as it sits, I don't really intend to make my 13'' Scar 17 anything more than a nice light battle rifle making engagements out past 4 or 500m, but the ability to do so with a higher mag optic is definitely tempting.
View Quote

Yeah, as long as the BDC for M80 is good out to 500-600 meters for a combat hit, that is all I would care about. Seems like the BDC should line up close enough for the 13" barrel.

I had thought about an ACOG with 7.62 BDC + RMR for CQB. But by that time, I am at the same cost and the same weight (if not more) as a 1-4x Elcan. Plus the 7.62 ACOG is a big on the bulky side with an RMR.

Quoted:
If I had a 13" Scar 17, I would seriously consider the Elcan 1x/4x. But I understand the desire to keep the weight down. That's the one negative thing I dislike about my Elcan 1.5x/6x on my 17S.

I'm actually considering the 1x/4x for a Tavor 7, but hate the ideal of adding 21.87oz (1.37 pounds)
View Quote

I think the weight of the Elcan isn't too bad considering everything (like the mount weight being included). For what it offers, it isn't significantly heavier than other options.

Quoted:

View Quote

The eye relief on the 1-4x isn't bad and the weight isn't bad when you compare it to similar setups.

What optic would you go with over the Elcan for a SCAR @para13cord?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think the only downside with the Elcan for the Scar is the weight. The eye relief seems to be a non-issue on it, and I don’t really get the hate for the ARMS mount outside of being non-adjustable, however I haven’t found a rail it won’t lock securely to.
View Quote

I don't mind the weight. Comparing it to a Vortex Razor or similar + mount, I am at about the same weight. Or comparing it to a EOTech + G33 + mounts, I am also around the same weight.

Quoted:

I added the MKII levers on mine, it did help switching rifle to rifle and slight rail variations.
I have a 5.56 calibrated SpecterDR and will be putting it on a scar 17 in the near future and look forward to getting some groups with the different range settings and back figuring where they actually zero at on my 7.62 rifle.
View Quote

With the MKII levers, do you still need to zip-tie them down to secure them? Or are the MkII mounts more secure?

Quoted:

Pic
View Quote

Yeah, I am having a hard time picking something besides the Elcan. Been considering an EOTech + G33 as well as something like  Vortex Razor, but think the Elcan is the better fit for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
My p4xi in an ADM mount is a couple oz heavier than the elcan at 25oz. My vortex pst g2 1-6x weighs the same as the elcan without a mount!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

What LPVO options are there that have a NV setting? Also, that have a combat BDC for quick shots as well as quick ranging? I know of PA ACSS line has the combat BDC down, but doesn't have NV setting. Anyone know of another option?

For my SCAR 16, the 1-4 Elcan will be perfect for the distances it will be used for. Just for the 17, I wonder if I might wish I had a little more than just a 4x for the top end.....

Quoted:

At the time a 4X (1-4, 1.5-6) multiplication factor was about what the market was able to do without being overly cost/size prohibitive. But optics have advanced light years in the interim, and these days even a 6X factor is getting behind the times. 8X is becoming the norm, and even 10X now. I don’t know that I want an optic that only does 1X/10X though. I think a FFP LPVO like the new Razor would be ideal for that given it’s usable anywhere in between. If I could only choose two magnifications, at least for a general purpose non-precision rifle, a 1/6 is about ideal. It’d also help Elcan save cost, weight, and size, which I’d consider more important factors on a fighting rifle than +6X magnification.
View Quote

I would agree, a 7.62x51 1-6x Elcan would be perfect. Only reason I am hesitant to pull the trigger on the Elcan right now, is the 4x. It might be just fine, but really wish I had a 6x for what I would want, being able to take it out to 600-650 yards and hit man size steel targets. Not using my 17 as a precision shooter, so don't want a complicated LPVO with mil/MOA and a busy reticle.

Quoted:

View Quote

Which of the LPVO would you recommend as an alternative to a 1-4x Elcan?

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nice. Good deal too.
View Quote
No experience, but the 762 reticle is calibrated for m80 out of a 20" barrel, so at 13", the difference may be noticable.

I figure it won't perfectly line up with 556 or 762 reticles, so I'd get what's cheapest and use strelok app to find how it lines up with your reticle, and just use those holds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#36]
The 1x/4x BDC reticle (7.62) is calibrated to 147g NATO with 20" barrel.

The 1.5x/6x BDC reticle (7.62) is blended: 147g NATO and 168g Match with 20” barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No experience, but the 762 reticle is calibrated for m80 out of a 20" barrel, so at 13", the difference may be noticable.

I figure it won't perfectly line up with 556 or 762 reticles, so I'd get what's cheapest and use strelok app to find how it lines up with your reticle, and just use those holds.
View Quote

Quoted:

The 1.5x/6x BDC reticle (7.62) is blended: 147g NATO and 168g Match with 20” barrel.
View Quote

Thank guys, I didn't realize the BDC reticle was calibrated for 20". I don't have any muzzle velocity numbers for a 20" vs. 13" factory SCAR barrel. But looking on online data, it looks like 22-23 change ft/sec per inch. So, I'm probably losing around 150-160 fps muzzle velocity with the 13" compared to the 20". Maybe a little less based on the data billytehbob posted from snipershide which shows loss around 70-80 fps. I'll have to find a ballistics calculator and play with it for the two barrel lengths to see how big of a change it is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't try too hard to get it perfect. As I'm sure you already know, a BDC reticle will only get you about 90-95% there, as you have to factor in barrel twist, ammo, elevation, humidity, etc.
I've used my 1.5x/6x on my Scar 17 from 100m-500m. After sight in at 100m, it shoots a tad low using the 500m BDC mark. I assume this is due to the slower 1:12 twist and/or my ability to see well at 500m with a 6x.
I still like using a quality BDC scope on a .308 MBR due to simplicity and speed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldn't try too hard to get it perfect. As I'm sure you already know, a BDC reticle will only get you about 90-95% there, as you have to factor in barrel twist, ammo, elevation, humidity, etc.
I've used my 1.5x/6x on my Scar 17 from 100m-500m. After sight in at 100m, it shoots a tad low using the 500m BDC mark. I assume this is due to the slower 1:12 twist and/or my ability to see well at 500m with a 6x.
I still like using a quality BDC scope on a .308 MBR due to simplicity and speed.
View Quote

The BDC will definitely not line up, but 90% of that is out at the further edge of the BDC. By zeroing 1-2” high one can usually get within 1-2 MOA out to reasonable distances with most setups.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thank guys, I didn't realize the BDC reticle was calibrated for 20". I don't have any muzzle velocity numbers for a 20" vs. 13" factory SCAR barrel. But looking on online data, it looks like 22-23 change ft/sec per inch. So, I'm probably losing around 150-160 fps muzzle velocity with the 13" compared to the 20". Maybe a little less based on the data billytehbob posted from snipershide which shows loss around 70-80 fps. I'll have to find a ballistics calculator and play with it for the two barrel lengths to see how big of a change it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 17 has a 3.5X ACOG. Due to the clarity of glass, I’ve been able to shoot it for groups fine, though that’s obviously not what the rifle or optic are for. I wouldn’t feel hindered by the 4X upper limit of the 1/4 DR on a 17, though obviously I’d rather have a higher end and would consider 6X an improvement.

This comes down to what role one expects the rifle to fill, and a 1/4 would compliment what I feel the ideal role of a 17 is, a general purpose compact battle rifle with above average accuracy. There are optics better suited to precision at range, but there are better rifles to marry them to as well. My OBR and MWS fulfill that role for me (since we are in the FN forum, the SCAR 20 would as well), and the 17 with something like an 11 or DR is a match made in heaven.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#41]
After a careful review of the Elcan, I took a different direction with my SCAR 17 optics. After talking to the Leupold tech guys, I bought a Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm with the illuminated circle dot reticle. Currently using a Larue mount.

I'm getting a little older and find the circle dot gives me faster target acquisition. If you give Leupold your serial number they will make you one ballistic cam for free.

Have been running that setup for three years (more or less) and have had no problems. I find the SCAR 17 a little heavy for my taste and the Mark 4 does cut the weight.

Now this scope is discontinued but you can still find them if you look. I checked my invoice from Optics Planet and I paid $750. It comes standard with a 62gr 5.56 cam so I can swap it around as needed.

Just as an FYI, I have to confess that an LMT 7.62mm MWS has now arrived and we'll see this summer if the SCAR gets an early retirement.
I was impressed with the British L129 rifle and have been hearing good things from a couple of Brits that I used to work with.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Well, after doing a lot of reading I decided that the Elcan was the right optic for my SCAR 17. Especially since I am running it as a battle rifle. If I was going to do a DMR role, I would do a LPVO. But there are better guns for a DMR role .

Elcan is lighter than I was expecting and the glass is fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I concur with your conclusion.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Issued an Elcan? Sure. Buy with my own wallet? HELL no. There are FAR better options out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Issued an Elcan? Sure. Buy with my own wallet? HELL no. There are FAR better options out there.
View Quote

And they are?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I find the SCAR 17 a little heavy for my taste
View Quote

Providing that the Scar 17 is about as light as it gets for a .308 carbine, I'm a little confused by your comment...???
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, after doing a lot of reading I decided that the Elcan was the right optic for my SCAR 17.
View Quote

I agree, with my eyes, I felt that the 1.5x/6x model was a better fit. After 2yrs, I still have no regrets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My 17 has a 3.5X ACOG. Due to the clarity of glass, I’ve been able to shoot it for groups fine, though that’s obviously not what the rifle or optic are for. I wouldn’t feel hindered by the 4X upper limit of the 1/4 DR on a 17, though obviously I’d rather have a higher end and would consider 6X an improvement.

This comes down to what role one expects the rifle to fill, and a 1/4 would compliment what I feel the ideal role of a 17 is, a general purpose compact battle rifle with above average accuracy. There are optics better suited to precision at range, but there are better rifles to marry them to as well. My OBR and MWS fulfill that role for me (since we are in the FN forum, the SCAR 20 would as well), and the 17 with something like an 11 or DR is a match made in heaven.
View Quote

Thanks for your post. Yes, my role for my 17 is a general purpose compact battle rifle. For when I want something more than a 5.56. Like you mentioned, the clarity of the Elcan glass + BDC should get me out to that 500-600m range that would be the furthest I would use it for. Most of my shooting will be <300m, so for the 95% of my shooting the 4x will be plenty.

Quoted:

I agree, with my eyes, I felt that the 1.5x/6x model was a better fit. After 2yrs, I still have no regrets.
View Quote

I had considered the 1.5x/6x model and then running a RMR for 1x use. But after thinking about it, I wanted a true 1x and didn't want to have to run a second optic on it, and wanted the better eye relief and field of view of the 1/4x. But I am sure that 6x is great as well. Can't go wrong with an Elcan if it is an option.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And they are?
View Quote
Several have already been mentioned....why would I need to repeat what was already stated? LPVO is the name of the game and many excellent reticle can be had that are better......and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@JKH62 and others, are the MkII levers a must have upgrade? My Elcan locks up tight on my gun. I won't be running it on a second gun, just on my 17.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

@para13cord
@The_Sugar_Weasel
@Blackwind

So what LPVO would you guys recommend over an Elcan for a non-DMR/SASS setup that is meant to be run as a battle rifle?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top