Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2020 9:59:26 AM EDT
I'm wanting to change the combo since various problem family members no longer live at home, but I'm having strange issues.

Theoretically, I should be able to key in the current combination to open the door, throw the lugs and then hold down 0 until I get 2 beeps. At least according to the old instructions I had in my files. Instead, I get 5 beeps with all the red lights flashing, at which point, "Return to step 2".

A different set of instructions I found suggested hitting 0 6 times instead of just holding it. This nets the 2 beeps, but that's as far as it goes. Re-entering the original combo (per instructions) gets me the 5 beeps again.

After a couple of go-rounds, as soon as I press a single key, I get an amber light. I'm guessing this is the time out. Hitting the reset button inside the door resets to the factory combo, but even then, if I operate the lock more than a couple of times in quick succession, I get the amber light, even with the proper combo.

Checked the battery, and I'm getting 9.23v. Which makes sense since I just changed it a couple of months ago.

Do I need to dig around for the warranty papers, or is there just something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You're out of warranty.  Way out.

Does the lock have a logo or lettering on it that indicates who made it?  Possibly GSP?

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a lesson learned on the electronic keypad locks.  I called the OEM of the keypad when mine started acting up and not unlocking
and was informed they only last about 10 years.  They recommended I replace the keypad immediately if I could get the safe unlocked again.

I got a local locksmith to install a mechanical lock for about $150.

I don't trust those electronic keypads anymore.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Granite safes. Ft worth tx. Explain issue. I was out of warranty by a month. Sent new lock mechanism.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a lesson learned on the electronic keypad locks.  I called the OEM of the keypad when mine started acting up and not unlocking
and was informed they only last about 10 years.  They recommended I replace the keypad immediately if I could get the safe unlocked again.

I got a local locksmith to install a mechanical lock for about $150.

I don't trust those electronic keypads anymore.

View Quote

My Winchester Tradition safes lock crapped out within a couple months , the authorized a local locksmith to replace it with a mechanical lock .

Mo better !
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
By a quality lock...either mech or electronic and swap it out. The majority of them are very standardized. I put an Amsec ESL 10 on my safe
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
17 years on my canon manual lock.....

Zero issues still zero.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a new keypad. I had an old digital on my safe and it died but appeared to be fine, but would not work.

Replaced keypad and it worked.

Now, you also have the problem of the mechanism is also dieing so if and when you get it open, replace the whole mechanism and keypad.

Do it now. Or it becomes expensive

Locksmiths are worth it but expensive. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
DON'T CLOSE THE DOOR!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're out of warranty.  Way out.

Does the lock have a logo or lettering on it that indicates who made it?  Possibly GSP?

View Quote

That's the one. Wide oval on the top.

I was very reluctant to get a keypad lock when I first went shopping, but everybody at the time assured me my fears were groundless. Oh well.

Any idea what a decent mechanical lock would run? How much of the mechanism has to be changed to change the lock, and is it plausible that I could do it myself?  

I guess I know now what's gonna happen to a portion of my trumpbux.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I replaced the factory lock on my 10 year old Tractor Supply bought Winchester with this:

https://mbausa.com/lp-premier-redundant-lock-pkg-bright-chrome-finish-4-wheel-combination-lock-gp-2m/

Takes about 45 minutes and the only real way to screw up is cut the shaft for the dial to lock body too short.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I replaced the factory lock on my 10 year old Tractor Supply bought Winchester with this:

https://mbausa.com/lp-premier-redundant-lock-pkg-bright-chrome-finish-4-wheel-combination-lock-gp-2m/

Takes about 45 minutes and the only real way to screw up is cut the shaft for the dial to lock body too short.

Scott
View Quote

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally got a chance to work on the safe. Glad I didn't just arbitrarily order a new lock!

Pics. Hopefully Arf doesn't flip them sideways this time.

Attachment Attached File

No idea why the site keeps flipping these things, and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Attachment Attached File
Again, the pic is flipped on its right side.

Attachment Attached File
FINALLY!
As you can see, not a standard footprint. This is the Right side of the lock. Note the top notch welding job.

Attachment Attached File

Aaaand, once again, pic is flipped right. WTF? Anyway, this is the left (Hinge) side of the lock.

Not sure where to go from here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top