Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 7:40:00 PM EDT
Has anyone here Successfully form 1'ed a De-milled one? If anyone has and would be willing to share some insight I would greatly appreciate it. My major questions are regarding question 4 on the form 1. Its de-milled so I dont believe it was ever "active" stateside so I wouldn't be re-activating it right (4-k)? 4-a since I'm making it useable do I put my info in this box or do I need to hunt down the address for the plant where they made them? model as marked on the firearm- Its in hebrew besides 83 so I'm kinda lost on this one too. There is a serial number plate already on it with room to spare so I'd probably engrave the required info there.  

not my pics ETA: it is however my imgur. and I also thought by clicking image it would maybe make a thumbnail rather than a link...sorry.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the reactivated question only applies to deactivated war trophies AKA "dewats."

Those are machine guns that were deactivated by welding the barrel or bolt or some other way that kept the receiver intact.  They then transfer tax free on a form 5 until they are reactivated on a form 1.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for adding the pics!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're using mobile: press and hold until you can select "open in new tab/window" and copy the address into the image tags here.

If you're using desktop: in the upper right on the image you'll see a button that appears which says something about "copy links" - just copy and past the BBCode link here. It's ready to go as-is.

Interesting project by the way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
If you're using mobile: press and hold until you can select "open in new tab/window" and copy the address into the image tags here.

If you're using desktop: in the upper right on the image you'll see a button that appears which says something about "copy links" - just copy and past the BBCode link here. It's ready to go as-is.

Interesting project by the way.
View Quote

Thanks! It fires using a firing pin on a hammer that swings up from that tang off the rear. In order to load it you have to cock the hammer then turn on the safety back there. That also drops a tab that keeps the projectile from sliding out either direction. Initially I'm going to fab up some subcal adapters once the form 1 is approved. It will definitely be an entertaining way to turn money into noise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds rather like an RPG-2 and RPG-7 in terms of the hammer mechanism.

ETA: Just much further back rather than on the grip obviously.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]
From what I've been looking at ( I want to do an rpg7 as well eventually) you're right.  I'll take some of my own pics here in a bit.  The main difference is the hammer on the 83mm rather than sriking the side of the tube swings all the way vertical and slightly forward smacking a firing pin square in the middle of the tube aperature. It really lends itself to subcal munitions in this way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes indeed - that sounds like a fairly easy setup to adapt a variety of subcal adapters to.

The only thing I'd really be worried about is locking the adapter in the tube securely.

By the way - from the photo of the demil on those tubes the rear section is thick. Is the whole tube that thick? Seems very heavy for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes Sir. its beefy all the way through. Doesn't seem to be magnetic (aluminum maybe). After the form 1 obviously...Im thinking of cleaning up the holes where the cross bar is and keeping them to sort of "Pin" the sub cal adapter in place while firing. ETA: I posted the BB code and even saw the pictures when using the bbcode in the top right of the message box (desktop) and it still seems to just give links.
https://i.imgur.com/daeFpcy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Zpy7ShP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/p7wj4qR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZPV401a.jpg
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh it's one of the aluminum beasties! Those are nice. Surprisingly light for how solid they are. What kind of process will you be using to fix it? TIG? I'd be suspicious of the exact temper of the tube itself. It may be wise to have it re-tempered after you finish welding.

The .jpg links you have there - if you click the photo icon and paste one into the box and then click the blue "submit" button you'll get to embed the images as I did.

ETA: Just to mention - no real point in registering that as a DD if you're leaving the holes (even just the cross-bar holes) in it and only using subcal adapters. Fix it up all the way and then you have the option of tinkering with rockets in the future.

There ought to be multiple ways of securely locking a subcal insert in there without having holes in the tube.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I do definitely want to repair it all the way. I'm sure inert rockets are a hoot. To be completely honest I've had this thing in my closet for years and only just learned about form 1'ing dds recently. I bought a lmt rail mount m-203 receiver to form-1 about a week ago and rememebered I had this in the closet then had a eurika moment haha.
ETA: I have literally no idea on how I'm going to go about getting it repaired. I've not tried my hand at welding. I'ts one of the few things I have to pay someone else to do for now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I believe the reactivated question only applies to deactivated war trophies AKA "dewats."

Those are machine guns that were deactivated by welding the barrel or bolt or some other way that kept the receiver intact.  They then transfer tax free on a form 5 until they are reactivated on a form 1. 

View Quote

Thank you by the way!! I appreciate that! Now to just sort out the other question 4 boxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top