Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 3:17:18 PM EDT
I have an 8lb jug for my 77gr 556 loads. Im not trying to hotrod anything just replicate standard ball.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I loaded up some 50 gr varget with 150 fmj... decent shooting round
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
hell no...it's purrrfect....

48.0 and a 168 SMK will do quite nicely...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
No. A good approximation of the Hornady 168 AMAX Garand load for me is 48.8 gr of Varget.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Im guessing that goes for blacktips as well?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Varget is a great powder for the M1. It's less affected by changes in ambient temperature than other powders Garand reloaders use.

Hornady's Service Rifle manual lists Garand loads using Varget for the 150gn, 168gn, & 178gn bullets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Varget is a great powder for the M1. It's less affected by changes in ambient temperature than other powders Garand reloaders use.

Hornady's Service Rifle manual lists Garand loads using Varget for the 150gn, 168gn, & 178gn bullets.
View Quote
Be advised that Hornady data is notoriously conservative..you can't even duplicate milsurp loads with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be advised that Hornady data is notoriously conservative..you can't even duplicate milsurp loads with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 'conservative' if you're looking to hot-rod a rifle built on late 1930s technology.  

Don't know if you got the memo, but please be advised that S.A. ain't making M1s anymore, nor the critical spare parts like gas cylinders and op rods. Although I hear China is cranking-up production of soft-metal repop-ed Garand shit-parts though. Perfect gun-show fodder.

Nope, ... if the O.P.'s looking to hot-rod his M1, he might want to invest in a Schuster Mfg. adjustable gas plug.

Simple solution, and easy-peasy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If I can use IMR 4064 I am nearly certain Varget will do nicely.

Then again, I quit buying varget for a couple reasons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only 'conservative' if you're looking to hot-rod a rifle built on late 1930s technology.  

Don't know if you got the memo, but please be advised that S.A. ain't making M1s anymore, nor the critical spare parts like gas cylinders and op rods. Although I hear China is cranking-up production of soft-metal repop-ed Garand shit-parts though. Perfect gun-show fodder.

Nope, ... if the O.P.'s looking to hot-rod his M1, he might want to invest in a Schuster Mfg. adjustable gas plug.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know if you got the memo or not...but duplicating military loads isn't "Hot rodding" it...and you can't duplicate them with Hornady data.

And for the record a max charge of Varget (according to hornady) won't make the velocity that Hornadys own 168 load makes....

Simple solution...use the correct powders and no gimmicks...ignore the recent weak Hornday data and use the historical NRA data thats been fine for nearly 6 decades and easy-peasy..
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Soooo what would be the mil spec data for M2 ball and M2AP with varget?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd start at 47.0 and work up until you hit the accuracy or velocity..whatever you are going for.(for AP)

Currently in my rifle with 48.0 and 168s I'm getting 2675-2700fps.  M2 AP (163-165grn bullet) should be going 2750-2800fps at the muzzle (~15ft)

For M2 Ball you want your MV to be in the neighborhood of 2800-2850fps.  So start again at 47.0 and work your way up...till you hit an accuracy node or the velocity you want.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd start at 47.0 and work up until you hit the accuracy or velocity..whatever you are going for.(for AP)

Currently in my rifle with 48.0 and 168s I'm getting 2675-2700fps.  M2 AP (163-165grn bullet) should be going 2750-2800fps at the muzzle (~15ft)

For M2 Ball you want your MV to be in the neighborhood of 2800-2850fps.  So start again at 47.0 and work your way up...till you hit an accuracy node or the velocity you want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks bro
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks bro
View Quote
Anytime....us '03s have to look out for each other...lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
This ^^^

Varget is my favorite powder for the M1! It is on the slow end of acceptable burn rates.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link below goes to a discussion of Varget loads for the M1 by the M1 reloading Pros ... apparently a good many of them belong to the 'non-Hot-Rodders' club.

Just sayin'

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=64549
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Link below goes to a discussion of Varget loads for the M1 by the M1 reloading Pros ... apparently a good many of them belong to the 'non-Hot-Rodders' club.

Just sayin'

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=64549
View Quote
They aren't "hot rodding" at all..matter of fact they are more like "Model T" loads...

quoted from there..

"I'm coming in at 2550 fps with 47.0gr Varget, loaded to 3.250", 8 shot average, ES 58, SD 24.7
48 grains is coming in at 2638 fps.
HXP brass, CCI LR primers.

Open sights at 100 yards, I can't tell a difference in accuracy, but I'm no bench rest shooter.

I haven't gotten around to trying any of the 168gr loads, these seem to work for my purposes."

Not even making milspec performance.....

MILSPEC performance being "normal"...and things above that being what might considered "hot rod"...but yet "hot rod" is vague and could mean anything.

So far no one on this thread has posted "hot rod" loads...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Then again, I quit buying varget for a couple reasons.
View Quote
I've never used Varget.  What are your reasons for not buying it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never used Varget.  What are your reasons for not buying it?
View Quote
Frequently unobtainable.
Poor metering.
All the popular kids liked it.
I had great luck with RL15.

I am not saying anything about it not working because it does.   I tried it in a few things.  Burned up four pounds and just never bought it again.  I had kegs of 4895, 4064, 4350, and RL15, WC844 during the lean years.  Not to mention singles of H4831 sc, blc2, w748, and bunches I cannot remember.  I slowed a bit but I never stopped reloading.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top