Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2021 7:12:54 PM EDT
I sent a new cz 457 barrel, a nylon 66 barrel, and a marlin 17hmr barrel to be threaded .5x28. This is what I got back. It appears the end of the CZ and marlin barrel haven't been recrowned. The threads are super rough. And I'm worried it will hurt the threads on my cans after a while. I really thing I need to send them to a different smith and get them fixed. What says the hive?

Thanks,

TimAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Only the one on the top left looks to have had the crown screwed up or not retouched - remember the crown is the thin ring of metal where the rifled bore meets the muzzle face, not necessarily the entire muzzle face.

The threads are shit, though - they might work, but are poorly formed and clearly no care at all was taken in doing the work. I'd expect the angry beaver you paid to do that work to pay to have someone competent do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only the one on the top left looks to have had the crown screwed up or not retouched - remember the crown is the thin ring of metal where the rifled bore meets the muzzle face, not necessarily the entire muzzle face.

The threads are shit, though - they might work, but are poorly formed and clearly no care at all was taken in doing the work. I'd expect the angry beaver you paid to do that work to pay to have someone competent do it.
View Quote

When I called him about it he just said "it's just a 22 it should be fine" so no help there. I guess I'm taking recommendations on when to send these to get them fixed. I'm also pretty sure the front sights that he moved back at not on straight either, but that could just be my eyeball.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Those threads are ridiculous.  ADCO is a trusted vendor here and would never send out that kind of work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I've seen a ton of threading jobs, and done a fair amount of them myself over the years, and in my opinion, that is very shitty work. If the person who did that work is NOT willing to pay to have it fixed,

HE NEEDS TO HAVE HIS SHOP AND NAME SPLATTERED FAR AND WIDE here and everwhere, in order that nobody else's firearms get mangled by him.

Damn, thats some craaaappppyyy work.

ETA: I can't believe he sent those barrels back without even cleaning up after the work, chips errywhere
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I've seen a ton of threading jobs, and done a fair amount of them myself over the years, and in my opinion, that is very shitty work. If the person who did that work is NOT willing to pay to have it fixed,

HE NEEDS TO HAVE HIS SHOP AND NAME SPLATTERED FAR AND WIDE here and everwhere, in order that nobody else's firearms get mangled by him.

ETA: I can't believe he sent those barrels back without even cleaning up after the work, chips errywhere
View Quote

Those aren't chips, I brushed them off with a stainless brush. Those are all burrs on the threads.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Those threads are not acceptable. The first threads I ever attempted to cut in high school machine shop looked about like those do. By the end of the first semester, I could cut much better threads than those. That person may own a lathe, but they do not know how to set it up, and operate it correctly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s some really awful metalwork. Hope they’re fixable and you’re not out 2 barrels.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
That is aweful. His tooling must have been some kind of dull or he went at the speed of light. If it is concentric it will be fine but I would not run a can until you are 100% sure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
That is the worst looking "professional" threading I've ever seen.

Total garbage.

Yes, all those burrs will chew the female threads of anything you attach.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is aweful. His tooling must have been some kind of dull or he went at the speed of light. If it is concentric it will be fine but I would not run a can until you are 100% sure.
View Quote

The threads are concentric. I'm really surprised because he's done some really really nice work for me in the past. He just offered to refund everything but $40 so I guess that's a plus. I'm just pissed I wasted a month of my time. The cz barrel was brand new. Literally took it home from buying it, pulled the barrel and shipped them. I've contacted ADCO and will be sending them there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If they work take the refund and use it.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Not only are they shitty threads, the guy couldn’t even take the time to blow the chips off?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not only are they shitty threads, the guy couldn’t even take the time to blow the chips off?
View Quote

Those aren't chips..... That's after I blew them off and used a stainless brush on them. The threads are just that crappy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Are all three barrels stainless steel?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
It looks like they were cut with a chisel.  No way in hell I would put a suppressor on that, nor would I trust concentricity or a square shoulder.  He should pay for new barrels.  They are not even up to mediocre standards.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are all three barrels stainless steel?
View Quote

No, just the marlin bull barrel. The nylon 66 barrel is chrome from the factory but I believe it's steel. The cz I know is steel
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
grandsportim, I recommend taking them to the guy who thought he was a machinist/gun smith, and shove each one muzzle first in his rear orifice,
then ask him how he likes being frocked...

Just my recommendation, do what you want, but that is pure crap.

Oh, and please post his name, his business name, and location, so no one else gets screwed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I can do a better job than that and I’m 6 beers deep. If I paid for work to be done I’d expect it to be much better than that. I don’t usually demand refunds, I just guarantee that they’ll never get my business again and that I’ll spread the work about the service I got.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Unacceptable, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
A Play-doh Fun Factory could extrude better looking threads than those.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Those aren't chips, I brushed them off with a stainless brush. Those are all burrs on the threads.
View Quote

@grandsportim

I looked at the debris inside both muzzles and THAT looks like chips to me. Either way, thast's some ccrraaaappppyyyy work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Machinist here-those threads are total crap. And the shoulder on the left barrel is shit finish too.

He must have roughed them down to major diameter, then made the threads on one pass with a dull tool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagged for outcome
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#26]
It looks like they used a die, not a lathe. Was this done at a gun shop or somebody's garage?

I have had occasional butcherings using local "gunsmiths" as well. I only use professionals nowadays. ADCO Firearms and Retro Arms Works have been world class.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy moly, no!
None of that is acceptable. Those shoulders are horrible.

Please, OP, state who did this so you can help others avoid the same situation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Did they throw the threading tool on the floor before turning that?!?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats no bueno...
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Tooth n nail?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Those are grade-A dog shit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Exactly the reason I send ONE barrel off for threading first when using a new gunsmith.  

Granted, these days I just stick with rock solid, known quantity shops.  

But even then, the first time it's a single barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus Mary and Joseph

You need to pay a visit to whomever done that.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Who did the work, Helen Keller?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like a turd. I would not accept that kind of work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy moly, no!

View Quote

I'd like to post the name, but it's a friend of the family who lives in a WV. And I don't want to start a big family feud. That being said I'd be surprised if he's not on this forum.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd like to post the name, but it's a friend of the family who lives in a WV. And I don't want to start a big family feud. That being said I'd be surprised if he's not on this forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy moly, no!

Oh just post his information. No ones going to say anything to him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#39]
That is horrible OP.  Kinda Rapey since you paid for it.    Was this a “gunsmith school” job?   They should have paid you for the lathe training.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I sent a new cz 457 barrel, a nylon 66 barrel, and a marlin 17hmr barrel to be threaded .5x28. This is what I got back. It appears the end of the CZ and marlin barrel haven't been recrowned. The threads are super rough. And I'm worried it will hurt the threads on my cans after a while. I really thing I need to send them to a different smith and get them fixed. What says the hive?

Thanks,

Timhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147286/20210506_165654_jpg-1932438.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147286/20210506_165649_jpg-1932440.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147286/20210506_165632_jpg-1932441.JPG
View Quote

GuNsMiFf...

Send those barrels to d.wilson mfg ( @unclemoak ) and have him fix them right. Dave is a member here and a great guy. His work is impeccable and very reasonably priced. A side note...I’ve cut better threads than that on my first time using the auto feed on a lathe. It looks like his tooling was due for replacement about 100 hours ago....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Uffffhhhh.

That is bad.

I have cut threads like that learning a new lathe on junk scraps.  

Dull tool, not rigid set up.  Wrong speed and feed for the steel type.  It could be any and all of it.  That shoulder with the round grooves like a ceramic dish off a potter’s wheel.  Uggh, wrong tool shape?

That gummy machined metal look was partially tearing the threads not cutting them.  They stuck in the partially cut threads.  If there was metal enough a fast spring pass with a sharp tool might clean it.  

Obviously he didn’t measure the threads with thread wires.  Not cleaned enough to use them.

A die might clean them up but that is backwards.   Wouldn’t help the shitty shoulder or gnarly crowns.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The threads are shit, though
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy moly, no!

You knew the work was shit before you posted it…

Why post it if you are not willing to warn us of this guys shitty work…
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Absolute junk.

Will it work just fine, yes if they were "threaded" concentric to the bore, and that's a big if looking at the work.

At minimum he owes you for two new barrels, being those threads can not be repaired satisfactorily without cutting and re threading.

Best case, new barrels he buys, sends out to a real smith and drop ships to your door.

If he barks file a court ordered small claim and send registered return mail. You'll be suprised what just a letter can do.

If he's licenced send letter to him and states general attorney office.

This guy obviously don't care to take your money and send out crap.

Name the great "Smith" to help others.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I could possibly do better in my garage with hand tools.

How does he expect you to thread an accessory on that thing?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Why did he use a die if he has a lathe? No way were those threads single point cut.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Time to lock, the question was answered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top