BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2019 5:21:15 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Just bought an X95. Put 100 rounds through it and it is accurate. But the carrier looks like it has rust all over it. I keep wiping and it keeps coming off. Does IWI use some sort of film like Glock does for long term storage? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like long-term storage grease to me. Hose that bitch down with G96, let it soak, and the problem will be taken care of either way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like long-term storage grease to me. Hose that bitch down with G96, let it soak, and the problem will be taken care of either way.
View Quote
It isn't sticky like grease at all.

Not familiar with G96.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It is grease.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is grease.
View Quote
I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, that’s a preservative film. It seems almost like a paraffin/wax lubricant but as it heats up it turns to goo. Do a complete detailed strip and clean with contact cleaner. You will need to actually flush it and remove it by scrubbing with soaked wipes and Qtips. It won’t just run off when you spray it. It’s everywhere, chamber, inside the bolt and firing pin, inside the receiver, even in the trigger group. Then really lube the gun and run it wet for a while.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, that's a preservative film. It seems almost like a paraffin/wax lubricant but as it heats up it turns to goo. Do a complete detailed strip and clean with contact cleaner. You will need to actually flush it and remove it by scrubbing with soaked wipes and Qtips. It won't just run off when you spray it. It's everywhere, chamber, inside the bolt and firing pin, inside the receiver, even in the trigger group. Then really lube the gun and run it wet for a while.
View Quote
Thanks.

That's what I was thinking, but after shooting it, it wasn't gooey at all. It's not inside the bolt or on the firing pin at all. It's only on the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Both of mine had the same stuff. Cleaned it off and it was fine. I think the manual may even mention it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Low odor mineral spirits works well
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both of mine had the same stuff. Cleaned it off and it was fine. I think the manual may even mention it.
View Quote
Cool. This eases my mind then. Guess I should read the instructions...
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Primordial Gun Ooze.  aka Cosmoline?

Hated that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Primordial Gun Ooze.  aka Cosmoline?

Hated that stuff.  
View Quote
Definitely not cosmoline, this isn't sticky whatsoever. This is a Tavor X95. I don't think any modern firearms company uses cosmoline.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
My sar had the same on it. It was kind of a pain to get off. I did fire 2000rds before I cleaned it, so that could of been a huge factor also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My sar had the same on it. It was kind of a pain to get off. I did fire 2000rds before I cleaned it, so that could of been a huge factor also.
View Quote
Really? So between you and another guy saying 2 of his X95's had it, I'm going to say it's not rust.

Have you heard definitively what it is? It isn't thick like grease at all. What kind of long term storage lube is rust colored?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top