Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2018 6:51:47 PM EDT
Sorry in advance for the newbie question and thanks in advance for any insight?

I own a left handed Ruger American bolt action rifle chambered in 223 that I would like to convert to 300 Blackout for suppressed shooting. If I understand correctly, converting this to 300 Blackout would only involve a barrel change. I know Ruger makes the American ranch in 300 blackout in right handed action and they are already threaded at the muzzle. If I got one of those barrels, could I get a gunsmith to install it? Or is there a difference in how left hand and right version’s barrels lock into the receiver? Also, does anyone know if Ruger sells barrels? I tried to call them but got their voicemail.

ETA: also occurring to me that the magazine may not feed 300 correctly. Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't
300 bO is a great round but not worth the hastle
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't
300 bO is a great round but not worth the hastle
View Quote
Thanks for crushing my dreams guy
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Possible, but probably not practical.

Fitting the barrel is relatively simple, but you would need the proper wrench, a barrel vice, and the correct headspace gauge, and of course a barrel.

My superficial search didn't turn up a source of Ruger American barrels either, although some barrel makers like Pac-Nor list them, and perhaps Ruger would sell you one.

My take is that when you consider what it would cost you to either A. acquire the necessary tools and buy a barrel, or B. pay a Gunsmith, it would be much more economical, less time consuming, and more practical to just sell your rifle and buy one in .300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot cheaper to just buy another 300blk. I have one. It’s right handed tho.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Possible, but probably not practical.

Fitting the barrel is relatively simple, but you would need the proper wrench, a barrel vice, and the correct headspace gauge, and of course a barrel.

My superficial search didn't turn up a source of Ruger American barrels either, although some barrel makers like Pac-Nor list them, and perhaps Ruger would sell you one.

My take is that when you consider what it would cost you to either A. acquire the necessary tools and buy a barrel, or B. pay a Gunsmith, it would be much more economical, less time consuming, and more practical to just sell your rifle and buy one in .300 Blackout.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't look like anyone makes an 300 BO lefty bolt gun though so I guess this idea is more trouble than its worth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, Sometimes practical has to take a back seat to happiness. It's certainly possible to order a pre-fit barrel from someone like pac-nor or a blank from just about anybody and have a gunsmith fit it to your rifle.

Just be prepared to pay more than you probably paid for the rifle to get the work done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just adapt to the righty. Once you learn not to take the skin off the top of your shooting hand when you cycle the bolt it's totally cool.
I prefer to keep my firing grip on my firearms at all times anyway.

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
agree with others as it will likely cost more than the rifle was new but if it's what you really want then why not right?

Criterion may be able to help you?? they have ruger american on their website although no product listed. maybe coming down the pipeline? http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/ruger-american

any reputable gunsmith may also be able to make you what your after. just have to be prepared to pay! lol

option B. would be to buy the american ranch then swap barrels/mags and maybe sell it with your .223 barrel? i'm sure someone would buy it....might get .50c on the dollar but at least you have what you want right?

On a side note I know for a fact you can get savage LH actions and 300blk barrels aren't that hard to come by.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
agree with others as it will likely cost more than the rifle was new but if it's what you really want then why not right?

Criterion may be able to help you?? they have ruger american on their website although no product listed. maybe coming down the pipeline? http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/ruger-american

any reputable gunsmith may also be able to make you what your after. just have to be prepared to pay! lol

option B. would be to buy the american ranch then swap barrels/mags and maybe sell it with your .223 barrel? i'm sure someone would buy it....might get .50c on the dollar but at least you have what you want right?

On a side note I know for a fact you can get savage LH actions and 300blk barrels aren't that hard to come by.
View Quote
Some good ideas here, thanks. I might look into buying a used Savage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top