Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2022 12:01:39 PM EDT
I've got a Marlin 917vl that I want to get threaded for a suppressor.  I dont know if the barrel is threaded to the reciever but think its pressed in.

My questions are
Can a gunsmith thread it without removing the reciever?
Who should I send it too if not?

It would probably be cheaper to just trade it in on a threaded savage but it's just such an accurate rifle.  I've got more in the upgraded trigger and spare mags than what the rifle cost.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a Marlin 917vl that I want to get threaded for a suppressor.  I dont know if the barrel is threaded to the reciever but think its pressed in.

My questions are
Can a gunsmith thread it without removing the reciever?
Who should I send it too if not?

It would probably be cheaper to just trade it in on a threaded savage but it's just such an accurate rifle.  I've got more in the upgraded trigger and spare mags than what the rifle cost.
View Quote
It can be however there is a chance the bore is not centered though unlikely. I threaded a .17 and the bore was very off center so it did not work out. Being in the receiver is not an issue if the barrel is long enough to fit through the headstock and use a spider. If you don't find anyone local I can assist with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There's no need to remove the barrel from the action.

You may encounter some problems. The first being the outside diameter of the barrel. You'll need .500 + a .04 shoulder. Total outside diameter would need to be .580
It could be a little smaller, say around .560
The next problem would be the length of the through bore of the lathe. A lot of older lathes would have a through bore that's too long

I made sure when buying my lathe that it would accommodate a 16" barreled action
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel is press fit, but not a huge deal.
If it can't fit through a spindle, a long enough bed won't care (ctr to ctr distance)
Off-center bore can be accounted for (lathe and indicating)
Smaller than preferred muzzle dia also can be accounted for (thread 3/8-24 or 28 and make adapter to 1/2-28)
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe that it's a 22in heavy barrel from my internet search.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Found a smith close to home to do the threading. Former Gap smith. $125
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top