Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 9:38:12 AM EDT
If I were to buy a few boxes of supersonic ammo and a few boxes of subsonic ammo all from the same manufacturer with the intent of reloading that brass, is there a manufacturer to stay away from (necks split too soon, loose primer pockets)???

I was thinking of starting a "base" collection of factory brass first before I start going whole hog into the cutting down of .223 brass and forming it with the correct dies on my Dillon 650.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a lot of research into .300 Blackout before I built one. I haven't heard of any manufactured ammo that was inherently bad or defective. Having said that though, I have never fired a single round of factory .300 Blackout as I make my own. I started by cutting down commercial .223 brass and forming it myself but after .300 brass became available I just bought it and skipped the labor of cutting it down. If I were to buy factory rounds I would probably buy Remington but I always liked Remington brass anyway.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a lot of research into .300 Blackout before I built one. I haven't heard of any manufactured ammo that was inherently bad or defective. Having said that though, I have never fired a single round of factory .300 Blackout as I make my own. I started by cutting down commercial .223 brass and forming it myself but after .300 brass became available I just bought it and skipped the labor of cutting it down. If I were to buy factory rounds I would probably buy Remington but I always liked Remington brass anyway.
View Quote
Yeah... I was leaning towards Remington (in the green and white box).

It probably is the cheapest factory ammo, and IIRC, my local Walmart carries both subs and supers in the Remington.

I should be picking up a new toy...err...gun on Monday or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were to do it over I'd get 500 rounds of Magtech 123gr and use that brass.  Very clean,  consistent and annealed. Its beautiful ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know of any bad ammunition or (factory) brass.  I have a bunch of Barnes-stamped brass from Remington-UMC 120gr OTFB supers. It usually has crimped primers, but that's not a problem - they use fourTWO* flat stab crimps like newer LC brass.

I've also collected quite a bit of R-P, which is, of course not crimped.  And recently I collected some FC brass that is ring crimped.  I'm going to gauge the webs on those cases just to be sure, but I think they're fine.

As for shooting, those Barnes OTFB rounds are great.  Very consistent and definitely more accurate than I am.  The R-P 220 gr subs aren't bad, but I don't have a can to see how much quieter might be than other brands.

Edit:I just went through my Barnes stash, and they use two, not four, stabs.  When they use a crimp at all.  I'm not sure if my non-crimped brass is from the same OTFB load or not, but these are obviously never crimped cases.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Well...crud!

The one local wally world only has supers.

But the Academy Sports just at the opposite end of the strip plaza from Walmart has both supers and subs.

I might make it to the range today or tomorrow.

The FunStore opens up in 1 hour and 10 minutes, so I can pick it up.  But hey...who's counting?

I might be getting a little excited.

EDIT:  thanks for the replies everybody.  I'll be on the lookout or crimps.

<meme removed>. Remember this is a tech forum. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Freedom Munitions Reman : I ordered some that was "in stock", and two weeks later was told they would ship it when they made more or I could cancel.  I had a thread on it last year I believe.  Many of the responses were that I was lucky they did not ship it due to the poor quality.

I cannot personally say if they are GTG or not.  However the responses I had made me look into the reviews.

As I was typing this I found they filed chapter 11 a few months ago.  Good for their crappy service :FREEDOM MUNITIONS FILES CHAPTER 11
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Never loaded Blackout but just IOUs why not buy 250 rounds of Starline brass?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know of any bad ammunition or (factory) brass.  I have a bunch of Barnes-stamped brass from Remington-UMC 120gr OTFB supers. It usually has crimped primers, but that's not a problem - they use fourTWO* flat stab crimps like newer LC brass.

I've also collected quite a bit of R-P, which is, of course not crimped.  And recently I collected some FC brass that is ring crimped.  I'm going to gauge the webs on those cases just to be sure, but I think they're fine.

As for shooting, those Barnes OTFB rounds are great.  Very consistent and definitely more accurate than I am.  The R-P 220 gr subs aren't bad, but I don't have a can to see how much quieter might be than other brands.

Edit:I just went through my Barnes stash, and they use two, not four, stabs.  When they use a crimp at all.  I'm not sure if my non-crimped brass is from the same OTFB load or not, but these are obviously never crimped cases.
View Quote
Bought  4 boxes of Remington UMC 120 supers and 4 boxes of the Remington UMC 220 grain subs today.

You were spot on about the 2 stab primer crimps.

I really do need to break down and get some cheater eyeglasses.  It would make the headstamps easier to read.

Thanks for your "gouge"
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Freedom Munitions Reman : I ordered some that was "in stock", and two weeks later was told they would ship it when they made more or I could cancel.  I had a thread on it last year I believe.  Many of the responses were that I was lucky they did not ship it due to the poor quality.

I cannot personally say if they are GTG or not.  However the responses I had made me look into the reviews.

As I was typing this I found they filed chapter 11 a few months ago.  Good for their crappy service :FREEDOM MUNITIONS FILES CHAPTER 11
View Quote
Danke!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Just an FYI...

like what was mentioned above about the crimps....

the 120 grain Remington UMC factory ammo has the two stab crimp...and "BARNES" on the headstamp.

Upon closer inspection of the 220 grain Remington UMC stuff, there appears to be no crimp...well definitely not the 2 stab kind.  That brass was all marked "R-P" too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top