Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2018 12:30:18 AM EDT
Other then the fun factor, if you own .357's already would getting a 10mm really serve any purpose or preform
any role better?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both. Both are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both.  Sold all 10mm's but my GLOCK 29.  Next up is likely a Ruger 1911 10mm.  Cause I got over 2,000 rounds of handloaded ammo to properly dispose of.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show us your .357s...the semi-auto ones.
View Quote
Coonan is awesome.  Get both.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It fits and feeds in semi-auto pistols much better. The only .357 magnum magazine fed pistols are massive.
if you're satisfied with revolvers, then I would say no, not really.

I never went with a 10mm pistol, personally. .45 Super is more than enough for me when I want performance in that neighborhood (which is rare). The thing that really kills 10mm for me is the cost of practice ammo. .38 Special standard loadings for the .357 revolver are widely available and far less expensive.

My whole attitude with pistol performance is... don't try to turn it into a carbine/rifle/SMG because you can't. You can't do it with higher energy ammo. Pistols just aren't as good as all those other things. They're small and that's their realm. Easily carried and therefore readily available when needed. If you need the whole mag to finish the job then use the whole mag. Shot placement matters way more than which round you're slinging.

That said, if I'm carrying a pistol for bear protection, I'd prefer my Mark 23 and some stout .45 Super hardball rounds. Fortunately people are easier to kill than grizzly bears, so that doesn't have to be the norm for pistol performance. If you're just shooting paper, all that matters is how well it punches paper and what pleases you.

So get whatever you like. Most of my pistols are 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted an auto for a field/hunting gun then sure. If you like the wheel guns then don't bother
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Ballistically, not really.

However, 10mm 1911's are FUN!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Show us your .357s...the semi-auto ones.
View Quote
Quoted:
If you like the wheel guns then don't bother
View Quote
Variety is the spice of life.

I have a revolver in 10mm, and a couple of semi-auto .357s. I've also got single-shot rifles & pistols in .357, but not in 10mm.

I suppose if I wanted to round out the collection, I could have a 10mm barrel made for the Uzi and run them in full-auto.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Other then the fun factor, if you own .357's already would getting a 10mm really serve any purpose or preform
any role better
?
View Quote

Yes.  Self defense while dirt biking in a state where I don't have a hunting license.  Sounds like an obscure niche, but that's what I try to spend all of my spare time doing

Glock 20 vs 6" 686+:
The Glock is lighter and higher capacity than the revolver, but not as accurate for me.  Lighter is better for defense because I don't want to carry around a heavy gun that I don't plan on using, and higher capacity is nicer because while panic mag dump isn't the best plan, it might be what happens.
I don't have hunting licenses in Washington or Idaho, so if I see a cougar 100 yards away I can't take advantage of the revolver accuracy and shoot it.  In Oregon every day is cougar day, so I would hate to spot a cougar 100 yards away while holding a Glock 20 that I can't hit shit with at 50 yards.
IMO, Glocks are more immune to the dust and mud associated with dirt biking than revolvers are.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Get both
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Great replies. Thanks so much gents, I had a Glock model 20 back in the day and between the thickness of the grip and the angle, I just didn't shoot it instinctively and couldn't afford enough ammo to shoot it often.. But man that recoil impulse was unique, the slide almost seemed to stay back long enough to see it haha. In a 1911 would probably be another matter but maybe a .45 super upgrade would make more sense., but sense I have .357s already I'll probably stick with those.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Well if you’re game gunning in a revolver category you can moon clip 10mm.

I don’t own any thing like the 610 or 625 but they game well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Because i can carry 15+1 rounds of 10mm and slap another 15 rounds in it in less than 2 seconds?  My revolver carries less than half that and takes triple the time to reload.

Plus, double action triggers suck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd say both are about equal, however I have 15 rounds of 10mm in my Glock 20 vs. 7 rounds of 357 mag in my S&W 686+
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well if you’re game gunning in a revolver category you can moon clip 10mm.

I don’t own any thing like the 610 or 625 but they game well.
View Quote
Moon clips with .40 is a popular thing.  I had a 610 I was going to do that with until I figured out it was just too damn much work.  Sold it to someone who gave a shit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because i can carry 15+1 rounds of 10mm and slap another 15 rounds in it in less than 2 seconds?  My revolver carries less than half that and takes triple the time to reload.
Plus, double action triggers suck.
View Quote
Definitely this, ... even though for no good reason I felt I had to have this:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1780.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I have several 357s and a Glock 20 in 10mm.

No problems here owning both.  I think the 10mm full power loads have les felt recoil and faster follow-up if needed.  15 rds is a plus too.

Sometimes a 6-shot wheelgun is enough and I use that too.

I also feel guilty scratching a nice vintage S&W revolver (mostly what I have), and the Glock is just like a good tough tool like a hammer, it gets dragged around and finish wear is not guilt inspiring.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have several 357s and a Glock 20 in 10mm.
* * * I also feel guilty scratching a nice vintage S&W revolver (mostly what I have), and the Glock is just like a good tough tool like a hammer, it gets dragged around and finish wear is not guilt inspiring.
View Quote
Yep. I look at my 10mm G40, G29, and G20 the same way. They're tools. Reliable, reasonably accurate, durable, and as autoloaders go, they give you more-than-acceptable mag capacity.

And because they're Glocks, they're already ugly so I don't care if they get beaten and worn from hard use.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
10mm sounds like fun and to be honest the only reason I may get one someday is for fun. Hell I can't remember the last time I bought something that wasn't mostly for fun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't need anyone's permission to buy more calibers.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I plan to buy a 10mm longslide in the future, I had a 10mm years ago and had to sell it due to being broke, I have several 357 revolvers but want a semi auto with the same firepower.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I plan to buy a 10mm longslide in the future, I had a 10mm years ago and had to sell it due to being broke, I have several 357 revolvers but want a semi auto with the same firepower.
View Quote
Save your pennies, do not be afraid of a little gigolo work or male prostitution to add to the kitty and go get a DW Bruin!!!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top