Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 9:30:51 AM EDT
I want to cover or block  the cutout for the primer arm assembly in my Lee Classic Turret.

Attachment Attached File

I no longer prime on the press, so I have removed the primer arm assembly as it’s redundant.  However, when I set up in single stage to resize a bunch of brass I occasionally have spent primers popping out through the hole in the ram.  

Is there a way to cover this opening in the ram so I don’t have to chase spent primers?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you can find a 3d printed piece off ebay that can be used to attach a hose to direct spent primers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for answers.

I got my press used, and it took me a while to realized the primer arm is supposed to be there while decapping to avoid the spent primer dispersal.

I agree that it gets in the way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want to cover or block  the cutout for the primer arm assembly in my Lee Classic Turret.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/314595/8998EDAB-6C1E-4F47-BBAD-BF1AA4A65792_jpe-1731889.JPG

I no longer prime on the press, so I have removed the primer arm assembly as it’s redundant.  However, when I set up in single stage to resize a bunch of brass I occasionally have spent primers popping out through the hole in the ram.  

Is there a way to cover this opening in the ram so I don’t have to chase spent primers?
View Quote

No affiliation but this looks like just the thing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic-Cast-Press-turret-iron-90998-spent-primer-slot-plug-/372811059073
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/314595/8998EDAB-6C1E-4F47-BBAD-BF1AA4A65792_jpe-1731889.JPG

No affiliation but this looks like just the thing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic-Cast-Press-turret-iron-90998-spent-primer-slot-plug-/372811059073

Thanks for the link.  A quick search showed me at least two options for a 3D printed part fir this task.  I had not considered 3D printed parts, but it makes sense.  I’m going to order at least one design.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Loader tools is who I've gotten mine from.
Work perfectly fine
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I just use a chunk of rubber windshield washer hose that was hanging around the workshop.  Press fit and stays put, doesn't interfere with operation at all, and easily removable if you decide to use the primer arm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a short piece of soda straw on my RCBS and Redding presses.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see why you can't just keep the arm in the slot as designed.  It's not going affect anything you want to do (except direct spent primers properly).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the link Beowolf
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't see why you can't just keep the arm in the slot as designed.  It's not going affect anything you want to do (except direct spent primers properly).
View Quote

It jams into the primer pocket if you go down too far in the press.

I just hacksawed the priming tip off the arm and leave the arm in the slot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It jams into the primer pocket if you go down too far in the press.

I just hacksawed the priming tip off the arm and leave the arm in the slot.
View Quote

Well then just keep it in when resizing.  That's the only time it needs to be there to deflect the spent primers.  I don't get what the issue is I suppose.  And IIRC no need to hacksaw off anything.  It will unscrew if you know how.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I purchased one of the 3D printed parts with an embedded magnet.  It works perfectly.  

I have deprimed around 750 pieces of spent brass and experienced zero escaped primers.  Based on how the new piece fills the slot in the ram, I don’t see how a primer can escape.

For me, as I’m not priming on the press, filing the slot made sense.  This was about die ding a small amount of money to modify my press to remove a minor annoyance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got the one from the link Beowulf posted and it doesn't fit my press. I don't want to dick around any more this weekend with unimportant stuff but I'll find out about eBay money back guarantee on Monday.

Not on face plant but can anyone show a pic of the one from loading tools?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have that big plastic piece on mine.

Got tired of the primers sometimes bouncing out on to the floor.  I cut a piece of cardboard from a primer box the width of that slot with a couple "wings" at the top.  Then I used a couple/three wraps of electrical tape wrapped around it to hold the cardboard in place.  Been working great for over a year now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks M1A4ME
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking I'd go cheap and try to block the exit with a straw as mentioned previously
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I used a piece of the hard foam that electronics come packaged in. I made a piece out of aluminum but it was harder to get in and out.
The foam works good and easy to cut to fit and doesn’t move. I don’t prime on my Lee but I have an older RCBS that I’ve started using for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top