Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/7/2018 9:42:55 AM EDT
See subject. On amazon for prices above.

Is the grinder attachment really worth it?

Ken Onion Work Sharp
Blade Grinder Attachment

For the purists - not really into stones, sorry
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
sharpening tools, worth it.

sharpening your edc knives, not worth it (way more power than needed on a good knife).  Thirty seconds with a stone, even a Spyderco Sharpmaker, much more suitable IMO
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sharpening tools, worth it.

sharpening your edc knives, not worth it (way more power than needed on a good knife).  Thirty seconds with a stone, even a Spyderco Sharpmaker, much more suitable IMO
View Quote
Ugh.  I'm so confused.  I've read so-so reviews on the sharp maker and that it takes forever.

I just want something relatively simple to use for my kitchen knives and EDC knives.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Edge Pro with Chosera stones and a couple Sharpmakers.

EP is for reprofiling and the sharpmaker is for a weekly touch up.

EDC is a PM2 in S30V.

ETA: The Sharpmaker is fine if you're just touching up or maintaining an edge but it does suck if you need to reprofile a hard steel that's why I got the EP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my KO Work Sharp.  You need to reprofile your edges to convex, but it doesn't take long.  And, once done, the edge is long lasting and very easy to touch up.

For the ultimate in hair popping sharpness, you can get a leather stropping belt.

I have not tried the grinding attachment.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top