BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just to add a little more food for thought, I was on a simalar fence not to long ago. I was deciding between the pig, the FS Strandhögg, and the jpc. I ultimately picked the strandhögg, because I like the tubes and comfort, if I got the pig I would of also got the FS tube retro fit kit and put it on. It's pretty slick and the tubes make don and doffing seconds and no loud ass hook and loop. Plus you can use molle, the 6/12, and on the inside of the cummerbund there's loop for any Velcro base pouches which is where I keep a couple mags to keep my rightside slick but still maintain a 7 +1 mag load. And comms on my inside of my left with a 6x6 side plates.

Rum.
View Quote
I have been looking at the Strandhögg.  If I got the STT and added the upgrades it gets near the price of the Strandhögg plus it seems it's better built and a couple extra features the STT doesn't have.  But I hear the laser cuts have a tendency to rip and some people said the tubes on the shoulder get in the way of shouldering a rifle.  How long have you had yours?  Any issues?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have been looking at the Strandhögg.  If I got the STT and added the upgrades it gets near the price of the Strandhögg plus it seems it's better built and a couple extra features the STT doesn't have.  But I hear the laser cuts have a tendency to rip and some people said the tubes on the shoulder get in the way of shouldering a rifle.  How long have you had yours?  Any issues?
View Quote
While not the OP.  I run a Strandhogg. Zero issues. Not sure how people have issues with the buckles if they are wearing properly sized plates.  Lots of extra material.

I had more shouldering issues with the PIG because it’s sized for multiple plates and not a specific one.

Really the TUBES are awesome for LE use like I do bc it makes it incredibly fast to up armor with.

It’s also the most comfy carrier I’ve used.

For reference.

I went from eagle plate carrier, SKD Pig, and then now strandhogg.

The pig isn’t bad. Unless your running XL plates in it. It’s not ideal.

The  strandhogg is better across the board.
6x12 system works great and I use a mix of Molle, 6x12, and malice clips. All work fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

While not the OP.  I run a Strandhogg. Zero issues. Not sure how people have issues with the buckles if they are wearing properly sized plates.  Lots of extra material.

I had more shouldering issues with the PIG because it’s sized for multiple plates and not a specific one.

Really the TUBES are awesome for LE use like I do bc it makes it incredibly fast to up armor with.

It’s also the most comfy carrier I’ve used.

For reference.

I went from eagle plate carrier, SKD Pig, and then now strandhogg.

The pig isn’t bad. Unless your running XL plates in it. It’s not ideal.

The  strandhogg is better across the board.
6x12 system works great and I use a mix of Molle, 6x12, and malice clips. All work fine.
View Quote
Thanks for your input.  Now I just have to make a pro/con list of the Strandhogg and JPC 2.0 to help me decide.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the original strandhogg for around 2 1/2 years, no issues super comfy and well built. Recently bought a new one with the updated cumberbun, not because I needed to just because I could give my wife my older one. Have never had any problems with the 6/12 system, I'm not on a 2 way range but I'm extremely rough on my gear, used in many different classes put through a lot of rounds and no issues, no tears, still good to go. I also used a combo of molle,6/12 and with the newer cumberbun some Velcro pouches to keep my comms and extra mags up close next to my body and keeping my strong side slick on the outside.

Rum.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You really won't go wrong with either choice, I just think the JPC is more flexible and can be changed or adjusted a lot better. The SKD was the shit when it came out in 2011, but it needs some updates.

Here's the JPC from the front, it sits well even with my rear cummerbund adjusted fairly loose because its winter and at night I wear about 5 layers underneath it.

I do need to pick up the crye internal radio pouch, the mixed radio/water bottle pouch is too loose and tends to sag a little.

http://i.imgur.com/ThB01u2.jpg

For comparison, the pig with same load out (no sideplates) from the front from last trip.

http://i.imgur.com/jcxHooZ.jpg
View Quote
Really good info and thanks for sharing the pictures on both.

What plates do you use in your JPC, along with the side panels?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Pig is still the best
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pig is still the best
View Quote
Could you share your PIG, First Spear, and Crye experiences that led you to that conclusion?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
@daemon734

I have been looking more into the JPC and wondering how secure the AVS flaps are.  I'm looking at getting the AVS M4 flat as its basically what I'm running now, the TT triple mag shingle.  My setup is very similar to what you have, my radio and ifak is in the exact same spots, are those mounted on the skeletal cummerbund?  I did watch a few YouTube videos of the emergency doffing and that is pretty impressive and fast.  So far I think the JCP is what I will end up getting.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes everything is mounted on the cummerbund aside from my mag pouches.  They have inserts and are more rigid than they look and without the sideplates they help a lot with heat dissipation.

The flaps are really just attaching one row of molle and using the Velcro. I like that better because I don't have to use clips elsewhere on my armor.  They are way more stable than a swiftclip setup, and even those are pretty stable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes everything is mounted on the cummerbund aside from my mag pouches.  They have inserts and are more rigid than they look and without the sideplates they help a lot with heat dissipation.

The flaps are really just attaching one row of molle and using the Velcro. I like that better because I don't have to use clips elsewhere on my armor.  They are way more stable than a swiftclip setup, and even those are pretty stable.
View Quote
Thanks,  looks like I'll be getting the JPC within a month or two.  Thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could you share your PIG, First Spear, and Crye experiences that led you to that conclusion?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pig is still the best
Maybe he can't but I can.

I went with the PIG because I got a really good deal on it, it's substantially lighter and way more comfortable than any generation of the IOTV, and it is compatible with nearly all my MOLLE gear. I especially like the 4 mag front, because most of my pouches are twin shingles. Worked out great for me.

I like the split front feature, because it enables me to doff the carrier without undoing both sides. I can pop one shoulder buckle and one side of the front flap and be out of it without even having to mess with taking off my headgear.

It works great with all the USGI plates I've been issued, and has plenty of real estate for attaching everything I might need for the day's work. It's much less hot and stuffy than the OITV, but probably not as nice as some of the other, smaller and lighter carriers, but I consider that an acceptable trade off.

I've noticed a trend toward smaller and smaller plates and carriers, and I've even seen some guys rolling with extra small plates and carriers "for that extra mobility, man."

I'll stick with medium or large plates. I like coverage, even if it means I have to put up with a bit more weight. I like the fact that I can drop a medium sized plate in my PIG, squeeze the Velcro in the plate pocket around it and go, OR throw a L/XL plate in there.

I might try one of the newer, "better" carriers one day, but while my two PIGs are still in great shape, I'll just stick with them for the time being.

I don't much care for the plastic "tubes" assemblies on the First Spear carriers. A buddy in my unit has one, and I tried it on. I just don't care for the buckle arrangement.

The JPC is probably what I would go with if I had to choose anything other than the PIG. Another guy in my unit has one, and it seems closer to what I'm looking for in a carrier. I especially like the thin strap frontage in the shoulder area, which looks to be awesome for rifle shooting.

Of course, all these things are subjective. Nobody (except maybe the Chinese) is making anything carriers that I would call outright junk. It's all a matter of what the buyer is looking for, and what feels the best when worn. That's different for everyone, so shop ten times and buy once.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe he can't but I can.

I went with the PIG because I got a really good deal on it, it's substantially lighter and way more comfortable than any generation of the IOTV, and it is compatible with nearly all my MOLLE gear. I especially like the 4 mag front, because most of my pouches are twin shingles. Worked out great for me.

I like the split front feature, because it enables me to doff the carrier without undoing both sides. I can pop one shoulder buckle and one side of the front flap and be out of it without even having to mess with taking off my headgear.

It works great with all the USGI plates I've been issued, and has plenty of real estate for attaching everything I might need for the day's work. It's much less hot and stuffy than the OITV, but probably not as nice as some of the other, smaller and lighter carriers, but I consider that an acceptable trade off.

I've noticed a trend toward smaller and smaller plates and carriers, and I've even seen some guys rolling with extra small plates and carriers "for that extra mobility, man."

I'll stick with medium or large plates. I like coverage, even if it means I have to put up with a bit more weight. I like the fact that I can drop a medium sized plate in my PIG, squeeze the Velcro in the plate pocket around it and go, OR throw a L/XL plate in there.

I might try one of the newer, "better" carriers one day, but while my two PIGs are still in great shape, I'll just stick with them for the time being.

I don't much care for the plastic "tubes" assemblies on the First Spear carriers. A buddy in my unit has one, and I tried it on. I just don't care for the buckle arrangement.

The JPC is probably what I would go with if I had to choose anything other than the PIG. Another guy in my unit has one, and it seems closer to what I'm looking for in a carrier. I especially like the thin strap frontage in the shoulder area, which looks to be awesome for rifle shooting.

Of course, all these things are subjective. Nobody (except maybe the Chinese) is making anything carriers that I would call outright junk. It's all a matter of what the buyer is looking for, and what feels the best when worn. That's different for everyone, so shop ten times and buy once.
View Quote
I appreciate your input.  All three carriers have nice features that I like.  The JPC is the leader so far and seems like it will do more than I will ever need.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested in a plate carrier as well. and i was looking at the STT and the JPC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm interested in a plate carrier as well. and i was looking at the STT and the JPC.
View Quote
I too am bothered by shouldering rifles, and the bucke or thick strap gets in the way of a comfortable shouldering.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
@daemon734
Got my JPC 2.0 today. The cummerbund is way stiffer than I thought they would be.  It's incredible light, my plates and flap should be here next week. Thanks for all your input.  I think I made the right call with this pc.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#16]
What chest size/height are you. I'm 5'11" and 190. I'm wondering if I should go with medium or large?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What chest size/height are you. I'm 5'11" and 190. I'm wondering if I should go with medium or large?
View Quote
I'm 5'10" 170 and chest measurement is 43".  The medium has quite a bit of adjustment to it.  I kinda wish I got a large so I could have more coverage/protection but I'm sure what I have is fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm 5'10" 170 and chest measurement is 43".  The medium has quite a bit of adjustment to it.  I kinda wish I got a large so I could have more coverage/protection but I'm sure what I have is fine.
View Quote
At your height and weight a large would be too big. You’d end up fighting that plate and it would become exhausting. You got the right size. :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At your height and weight a large would be too big. You’d end up fighting that plate and it would become exhausting. You got the right size. :)
View Quote
Thanks, I'm just used to my Eagle RRV and it made me feel more covered.  It just had more material.  Was weird but comfortable putting on a pc that's just the size of a plate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm just used to my Eagle RRV and it made me feel more covered.  It just had more material.  Was weird but comfortable putting on a pc that's just the size of a plate.
View Quote
Where did you end up finding a 2.0, and how much was it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you end up finding a 2.0, and how much was it?
View Quote
Here, they have discounts all the time. I paid just over $300. A little more than Crye but worth it to me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Gthirteen

Have you shouldered your rifle with the STT yet?  Wondering if the buttstock sits on the plastic clip.
View Quote
Mine doesn't, I shoot off of my plate (MP5 style).
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im 6'2" broad shouldered 230 lbs 47" chest. A SAPI L looks small in a JPC on me but is just right for me. Any larger and it would interfere with everything and choke me. Dont even consider L unless you are at least 6' 200 lbs and 45" chest. A SAPI M is perfect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Im 6'2" broad shouldered 230 lbs 47" chest. A SAPI L looks small in a JPC on me but is just right for me. Any larger and it would interfere with everything and choke me. Dont even consider L unless you are at least 6' 200 lbs and 45" chest. A SAPI M is perfect.
View Quote
After I got my plates and wore it I do think medium was the right choice. Covers what needs covered and allows unrestricted movement.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm 6'2" 200lbs, and I wear a large carrier.  It feels a little too big but I tried a medium and it was definitely too small.  I think the crazy long adjustments just make it seem big to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm 6'2" 200lbs, and I wear a large carrier.  It feels a little too big but I tried a medium and it was definitely too small.  I think the crazy long adjustments just make it seem big to me.
View Quote
I was going to ask what size you wore.  I still have to swap a couple things over from my old rig but I couldn't imagine loading it up to what you have. Seems it would be difficult to put it on.

Updated pic;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I were your size, I'd want a medium, maybe a small.
I'm my size and I definitely want a small.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@daemon734
Got my JPC 2.0 today. The cummerbund is way stiffer than I thought they would be.  It's incredible light, my plates and flap should be here next week. Thanks for all your input.  I think I made the right call with this pc.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81046/IMG_0186-534145.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81046/IMG_0187-534146.JPG
View Quote
Any pictures showing your latest load out?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Any pictures showing your latest load out?
View Quote
@TennesseeRat   Here ya go. My Essatc KYWIs just came in.  Also added some PIG MK1 shoulder pads and PIG Pontoons, extremely huge comfort plus with those. But I am going to change my ifak to a detachable one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Just a couple suggestions.

I'd consider a smaller profile blow out kit if you are comfortable with it. I use a CLEER MBOK on left cummerbund mounted high and a TQ on the right cummerbund mounted in tight. I have a fuller sized IFAK on my belt with a TQ in it. I have some extra stuff in my MBOK and it is super difficult to get inserted because of it but I am comfortable with it. I have micro shears inside the MBOK and full sized shears tucked into the MOLLE in the front of my carrier.

I use KWYI as well but just mounted 3 KYWI directly into my kangaroo mag pouches (I have a JPC 1.0)

I found I perfer my hydration tube just hanging straight down and tucked into the gap my of my plate and cummerbund created by my plate offset. I trimmed tbe length to where it just hangs even with the bottom of my cummernund and it wont come out but also wont get dirt in it or get in the way. I also use a straight Camelbak mouthpiece so it fits there better. I dont drink as often as on my packs where I prefer the 90 degree mouthpiece.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice rig. Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just a couple suggestions.

I'd consider a smaller profile blow out kit if you are comfortable with it. I use a CLEER MBOK on left cummerbund mounted high and a TQ on the right cummerbund mounted in tight. I have a fuller sized IFAK on my belt with a TQ in it. I have some extra stuff in my MBOK and it is super difficult to get inserted because of it but I am comfortable with it. I have micro shears inside the MBOK and full sized shears tucked into the MOLLE in the front of my carrier.

I use KWYI as well but just mounted 3 KYWI directly into my kangaroo mag pouches (I have a JPC 1.0)

I found I perfer my hydration tube just hanging straight down and tucked into the gap my of my plate and cummerbund created by my plate offset. I trimmed tbe length to where it just hangs even with the bottom of my cummernund and it wont come out but also wont get dirt in it or get in the way. I also use a straight Camelbak mouthpiece so it fits there better. I dont drink as often as on my packs where I prefer the 90 degree mouthpiece.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on getting a different ifak. It's only bulky because of the Olaes bandage. I'm looking at a couple different pouches and going to get the flat version, I have the round Olaes. My hydration tube usually hung straight down but I haven't played with it much yet to find the right place with the new PC. I just got system thrown on there but it does need moved around.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Very nice rig. Thanks for the update.
View Quote
Thank you. I love this rig so much more than my old RRV.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my skd pig. Bought it probably 2013, love it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@TennesseeRat   Here ya go. My Essatc KYWIs just came in.  Also added some PIG MK1 shoulder pads and PIG Pontoons, extremely huge comfort plus with those. But I am going to change my ifak to a detachable one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81046/IMG_1083-581479.JPG
View Quote
How is the mag pouch secured?

Just stick it on with the velcro?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How is the mag pouch secured?

Just stick it on with the velcro?
View Quote
It's secured like all other pouches that use malice clips.  The JPC has a panel you buy and secure using Velcro and the webbing. Then is looks like a normal PC.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top