Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
I know this topic has been discussed throughout the years but is this still an issue? I am in the market for a SCAR 17S and wanted to go with a 1-6x, 1-8x, or 2.5-10x from Night Force, Vortex (Razor), or Trijicon and don't want to pick up an Elcan 1-6. Has FN done anything to work on air-gun like recoil impulse of the SCAR 17S?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Razor HD II or NF and your fine.  I’ve got the NF 2.5-10x24 and a Docter optic.  No problems.

Quoted:
I know this topic has been discussed throughout the years but is this still an issue? I am in the market for a SCAR 17S and wanted to go with a 1-6x, 1-8x, or 2.5-10x from Night Force, Vortex (Razor), or Trijicon and don't want to pick up an Elcan 1-6. Has FN done anything to work on air-gun like recoil impulse of the SCAR 17S?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Trijicon VCOG 1-6x on a 17S and no issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had a TA31f, RX06 and a TA11 on my 17 with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Elian on one and ACOG with a doctor optic on the other on no issues at all
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the feedback everyone!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Vortex Viper 20x and 1-4PST I use on mine for awhile now.  I have them in LT104 QD mounts.  No issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Had no issues at all with the Acog TA11.  My Scar now has the Aimpoint CompM4 and I don't see that going down but we'll see tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
TA31-RMR & IRD Hunter MKII good to go. Just mounted a NF NXS 2.5-10x24 but I see no issue occurring with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, IMHO the 17 has a reputation for eating optics in good part because people spend all their money on the rifle and then put cheap(er) optics on it that can't take the beating. I see it all. The. Time. Drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, IMHO the 17 has a reputation for eating optics in good part because people spend all their money on the rifle and then put cheap(er) optics on it that can't take the beating. I see it all. The. Time. Drives me nuts.
View Quote
Yep.  It's fine with decent optics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go with a 1-6 or 1-8.  Don't treat it like a DMR/precision rifle.  While they're fairly accurate, you will be disappointed.  The lightweight barrel will start to string shots after a mag or two.  The 1/12 twist abomination FN put on it sucks for anything heavier than 168gr.  If you want a battle rifle, by all means it's probably the best on the market (I've owned about all of them).  If you want a DMR, get something like an LMT MWS or a KAC SR-25.  You'll be happier, and there are far better trigger options.  The Super Scar G Trigger does okay...but it's not nearly as nice as their nicer AR triggers.

That said, it doesn't have an "air gun" recoil impulse.  It's similar to an HK-91/G3 with less recoil....just a big heavy carrier slamming home.  It doesn't affect shootability.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Razor 1-6 is all good

It did kill my XTR 1-4 however
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go with a 1-6 or 1-8.  Don't treat it like a DMR/precision rifle.  While they're fairly accurate, you will be disappointed.  The lightweight barrel will start to string shots after a mag or two.  The 1/12 twist abomination FN put on it sucks for anything heavier than 168gr.  If you want a battle rifle, by all means it's probably the best on the market (I've owned about all of them).  If you want a DMR, get something like an LMT MWS or a KAC SR-25.  You'll be happier, and there are far better trigger options.  The Super Scar G Trigger does okay...but it's not nearly as nice as their nicer AR triggers.

That said, it doesn't have an "air gun" recoil impulse.  It's similar to an HK-91/G3 with less recoil....just a big heavy carrier slamming home.  It doesn't affect shootability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the insight. I'm leaning toward the new Nightforce NX8 so long as the reviews come out positive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, I saw that you had a thread on the LMT MWS. Are you still happy with yours and what was your accuracy looking like out of the 6.5 creedmoor barrel?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The MWS is a great shooter. While the SCAR would only shoot 168gr and lighter will in to about 1-1.5”, the MWS shoots 175/178gr very well (3/4”-1”) consistently. The price you pay is that with a 20” barrel it’s about 2lbe heavier than the SCAR similarly equipped. I was willing to sacrifice a few lbs to be able to do what I want in the accuracy department, and still toss on the 16” barrel and red dot to run and gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn what’s up with the site lately?  Lots of double taps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
This issue is overblown. Put a battle optic on your battle rifle and you’ll be fine. My TA-11 is holding up fine in every aspect. I suspect anything in the Nightforce, Trijicon, Elcan, Vortex Razor etc lineup will have no issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]
while i dont have a lot of rounds through mine, i have a trijicon 1-8 on it. I dont really that issue much these days.  i dont think its so much as something FN did, but the overall quality of optics getting better, especially at the the lower end of the price specturm
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#21]
It's been said many times before but DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE MOUNT or RINGS for the SCAR 17. Makes a BIG difference as to whether your scope stays healthy. Learned that the hard way myself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's been said many times before but DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE MOUNT or RINGS for the SCAR 17. Makes a BIG difference as to whether your scope stays healthy. Learned that the hard way myself.
View Quote
Geissele/bobro/Larue/spuhr good to go?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Geissele/bobro/Larue/spuhr good to go?
View Quote
I can vouch for those three as being just fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can vouch for those three as being just fine.
View Quote
Thus far my KAC mount and Sig Tango 6 seem to be humming along as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell I had a Burris mtac on mine. Worked great
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Elcan 1.5-6 going strong
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Elcan Specter DR...No issues
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top