Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2022 12:38:56 PM EDT
Lately I have been looking at the PS90 as I've always liked it.  Plan would be to shoot it as-built and NOT go through the hassle of SBR-ing it.

As I do my research, I see lots of "fixes" available for a variety of "weaknesses" that the PS90 supposedly has that need to be addressed... is this accurate?   Stock cracking, recoil in the 16" barreled model that needs to be "fixed" since it was designed for 10.5", etc. etc.
Given that factory replacement parts are virtually impossible to acquire, the "likelihood of needing replacement parts" is an important factor.

Is the PS90 that fragile/ has that many flaws that need to be addressed?  
Or are these items that only present on rifles that see 100,000 rounds or some such unusually heavy use?  
And of course -- the third possibility:  just the usual way for people to make a buck selling 'fixes in search of a problem' on the web?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lately I have been looking at the PS90 as I've always liked it.  Plan would be to shoot it as-built and NOT go through the hassle of SBR-ing it.

As I do my research, I see lots of "fixes" available for a variety of "weaknesses" that the PS90 supposedly has that need to be addressed... is this accurate?   Stock cracking, recoil in the 16" barreled model that needs to be "fixed" since it was designed for 10.5", etc. etc.
Given that factory replacement parts are virtually impossible to acquire, the "likelihood of needing replacement parts" is an important factor.

Is the PS90 that fragile/ has that many flaws that need to be addressed?  
Or are these items that only present on rifles that see 100,000 rounds or some such unusually heavy use?  
And of course -- the third possibility:  just the usual way for people to make a buck selling 'fixes in search of a problem' on the web?
View Quote

I don't have any experience with the platform but the last couple years I've seen some folks putting "braces" on them.

Made me reconsider it as a platform. Despite the high price of ammo, I've always wanted one without the awkward 16" barrel
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the stock damage at the takedown button usually comes from shooting suppressed using a can with too little volume = high backpressure = transfers too much recoil energy into that area.

Use a 5.56mm silencer and you should be good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have any experience with the platform but the last couple years I've seen some folks putting "braces" on them.
Made me reconsider it as a platform. Despite the high price of ammo, I've always wanted one without the awkward 16" barrel
View Quote

An intriguing idea!  Would like to see how they did it.

However, I thought the AFT asserts that "once first a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle", thus making it impossible to shorten the barrel, call it a "pistol",  and then brace it without going all NFA?

ETA:  Corrected wording -- thanks Kitbuilder
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
However, I thought the AFT asserts that "once a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle", thus making it impossible to shorten the barrel, call it a "pistol",  and then brace it without going all NFA?
View Quote
No, they said "first" a rifle, always a rifle.

There are new receivers available, but I've not seen an ATF opinion on a braced one. I doubt it would be favorable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think the stock damage at the takedown button usually comes from shooting suppressed using a can with too little volume = high backpressure = transfers too much recoil energy into that area.

Use a 5.56mm silencer and you should be good.
View Quote

I see.  That makes sense.  So a person would just need to replace the OE barrel with a 16" barrel that has threads (1/2x28?)  for direct threading a suppressor (assuming such a barrel is even being made)?  

Or perhaps the proper length adaptor that can be threaded and blind pinned on the existing barrel (once the existing FH is drilled out and removed)?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the above post nails it in reference to issues suppressed. That said...

Quoted:
View Quote

... if you're not going to SBR it, you may as well get something else, like a X95/AUG or some pistol that you can brace.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... if you're not going to SBR it, you may as well get something else, like a X95/AUG or some pistol that you can brace.
View Quote
Yeah, anything beats the hell out of this: http://huntertownarms.com/ps90.php

I like my 16" AUG A3 but they're not great suppressed. Still short however (for a 5.56).

No way I'd keep a 16" barrel on a PS90.
Combined with having to buy expensive ammo, it's the worst of everything, and defeats the whole purpose of the compact design.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are great too (love my AUG!)  but not as small/light and light-recoiling as the PS90, nor do they have the 50-rnd standard capacity.

The PS90 would be for something different than my standard 5.56's.   It would be great to have the 10.5" barrel to make it truly tiny, but NFA waits and hassles and limitations make it not worth it for me (at this time -- maybe down the road??).

I am fully prepared to live with the goofy 16" barrel for now, but was really inquiring as to durability under normal usage -- seeing all the "fixes" for the supposed "problems" with the PS90 gave me pause.  And with a likely brace-ban on the horizon, I'm not counting on that as a long-term possibility either.  I've got several braced pistols, but have no plans at this point with the current political climate to acquire more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
i sbr'd mine and it always has a turbo k on it. i havent broken anything yet but probably only have 1k rnds through it
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd guess that the majority of damage comes from people running "5.7 rated" .22lr suppressors on them. If you're not going to SBR it you can't run in suppressed anyways so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got roughly 2500 rounds through my factory PS90 with zero issues. That being said, I really need to get off my ass and SBR it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with this. It's somewhat of an odd gun, so having it with a 16" barrel doesn't really make sense.
Might as well go with an X95 or similar then.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Ugh -- now you all have me reconsidering SBR'ing one right away... thanks alot!

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot mine for ten years with the 16” barrel and loved it, no problems.

Then I SBR ed it and it is even better.  It wasn’t difficult physically or paperwork wise.  I had plenty of other guns to shoot while waiting 8 months for the paperwork to clear—isn’t it far less time today?

I once melted an aftermarket mag to the breech after shooting several hundred rounds suppressed, but it broke free pretty easy and still shoots great.

I like it better than my AUG, by a lot.

Get your head out of your talk radio mindset and buy one because you want it, not because it has to be perfect.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a whole different animal when SBR'd - I never liked the 16" variant but love my SBR.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one of the Gen 1s years back. I put about about 5k rounds through it and never had any issues except for the magazines. I left one loaded for about a mo and it started jamming. Ended up having to trash it. I never left any more loaded and never had any other issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My SBR is relatively reliable, but the mags need to be kept throughly clean, and the gun needs to be very well lubed. Also, it doesnt run with federal ammo, only the FN stuff.

I beleive the mags would benefit from stronger springs because after just a few mag dumps they get dirty enough to start causing malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I run a lot of Federal ammo and have never cleaned my mags—and the gun itself only once, been reliable for me

I have not  even upgraded the mag rollers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
no problems with ours
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#20]
No reason for owning one if you're not going to SBR it.

Mine has been utterly reliable.
Very fun and interesting FN.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top