Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2018 3:42:15 AM EDT
All of the content on the internet sings high praises of the gun. The Finns took a clunky Russian piece of crap rifle and turned it into a jewel capable of competing against any military rifle of the era. I have not found anyone say anything bad about the gun.

My M39 is a 1967-dated "sneak". It looked unissued, unfired, and unused when I got it. The bore still had bluing, and there was no bluing wear even on the contact areas of the receiver. The stock is immaculate. It's safe to say that I got a good specimen.

The bolt is made from a hodgepodge of recycled Russian parts from different factories and different eras. The bolt parts are quite poorly fitted, and the bolt rattles considerably when out of the gun. In fact, it is so loosely fitted that the bolt does not even function 100%. About half of the time when I pull the trigger, I get no 2nd stage wall - the trigger breaks like a double-action. The bolt also will not close fully: the handle is at a noticeable 20-degree angle instead of being horizontal. Oh, and did I mention that extraction requires a hard slap every time? Yet, I keep hearing about how the Finns smoothed out the action and the M39 has a much slicker action than the 91/30. I actually borrow the bolt off my 91/30 and use that when I shoot my M39. It functions much better. At the end of the day, the M39 is still a Mosin Nagant action, and the misfit recycled parts can make the action even worse than what you find on 91/30s.

Next the sights. Oh how much have I heard about the sights being superior. I think the sight picture is awful. I have never seen a thicker front post on a milsurp, and it is paired with a tiny rear notch. The gun is quite accurate, but the sights are a real letdown and I have to really do my part to get the gun to group well. The 91/30 has far superior sights. Just grap some calipers and measure the sights...

On a positive note, the stock and barrel are awesome, and the gun is very accurate (if I do my part with the crappy sights). It's a 1-1.5 moa gun with the right ammo.

I think Finnish Mosins are overrated mainly because of Finnish exploits during the Winter War to humiliate the Russians. Somehow, that supposedly means their rifles are that much better. This is kind of like how French guns are looked down upon because France surrendered 6 weeks after Hitler invaded.

Am I the only person to think Finnish Mosins are way overrated? I've just been itching to get my thoughts out there since I have not seen anyone else share my views.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Some may of been better than others, for comparison I have a 1942 91/30 that the bolt has always been stiff and a 1945 M44 which has the smoothest bolt of all my rifles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]

That's me at 100 yards with my Kiv/39.

That sight isn't a target sight.  That's a COMBAT sight.  Shoot faster on more fleeting targets and it suddenly makes a lot more sense than the M91/30 arrangement.

Interestingly, the French hit the same conclusion, and they went even wider for the front sight than the Finns.

The sights were proven in war with opponents using the "better" sight as well...

Bonus, actually taking a caliper to the sights:

91/30

Angular size of the rear sight notch is 0.275°  That's 17.306" wide at 100 yards.

Angular size of the front sight is 0.130° (2.311 mil).  That's 8.162" wide at 100 yards.

Kiv/28-30

Angular size of the rear sight notch is 0.311°  That's 19.521" wide at 100 yards.

Angular size of the front sight is 0.162° (2.880 mil).  That's 10.175" wide at 100 yards.

Kiv/39

Angular size of the rear sight notch is 0.362°  That's 11.365" wide at 100 yards.

Angular size of the front sight is 0.151° (2.684 mil).  That's 9.477" wide at 100 yards.

That's not much difference at all.  Especially since shoulder to shoulder is about 24".  This is also why you learn math, to shut people up about the huge differences in things when they're really quite small.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine.  As said the sight is a combat sight.  Also when you hit about forty this super thinsights for target shooting like say that razor on the front of a M1903 Springfield will just disappear before my eyes.  Decidedly unhandy if you need to pick off a Hun machine gunner at 300 yards across no man’s land.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have a sneak M39.  Neat rifle.

The Finns did a nice job, but in the end it's still a just a Mosin.

Not on par with the '98 Mauser, SMLE, M1917 or M1903 by any means.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Angular size of the rear sight notch is 0.362° That's 11.365" wide at 100 yards.

Angular size of the front sight is 0.151° (2.684 mil). That's 9.477" wide at 100 yards.
View Quote
I'm an engineer by trade. I think I know my math. I just went off what my eyes perceive and didn't bother actually taking measurements.

Therein lies the problem. There is too little gap between the front blade and rear notch. Does that mean the gap is only 2" at 100 yards? You can still shoot them. I didn't say the sights were unusable. My point was that the sights aren't any better but people keep saying that they are.

And speaking of a combat sight, why do you need so many notches between marked distances? The number of notches also doesn't seem to make any sense if you count how many there are between 150 and 200, 200 and 300, etc.

Top group sucked, bottom group tightened up:

Best group of the day with reloads:
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Combat sights:  Work better for combat in combat conditions.  Will nearly always not work as well at the range.

You're taking to the range and seeing that.

Find some rabbits you wanna annihilate.  Suddenly the sights work better.

It's a psycho-optical thing.

Like I mentioned earlier, the French did the same thing, and their front sights are wide as buses.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
They were great when they were cheap and surplus ammo was like $45 for a 440 rd tin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were great when they were cheap and surplus ammo was like $45 for a 440 rd tin.
View Quote
It's still comparatively not that expensive.  The problem with all of the surplus stuff that I have accumulated is that the trajectory does not match the sights at all.  At 300m, aiming at the dirt below the target, the rounds were still either sailing over the target or hitting the upper support for the frame.  Maybe one or two on-paper at the very top.

Just got some Wolf Extra Match, which is LVE ammo with a 200-grain bullet (which looks like it has a very similar ogival radius to the D166 bullet).  I've heard that the ballistics are much closer to the D166.  I've heard that Lapua makes loaded cartridges of the correct type, but I've never seen them for sale and what I have seen for sale in the same class is stupid expensive.  I'll definitely have to reload now that I cannot mail order ammo (I sure ain't finding the LVE stuff or D166 at any local store).

I've had a couple of the same issues with the M39 as the OP.  With a cartridge chambered the bolt handle is not quite horizontal and it is springy when you try to push it horizontal.  There also must be a burr or something because the bolt head is catching somewhere in the receiver, although it gets better and better with continued cycling.  The trigger is light, but it is mushy and most of the time you can't really feel the second stage point.  On the rare occasion that I do, it is rather crisp, though, and even lighter than the take-up, it seems, so you have to be gentle if you want to stop right at the second stage. The magazine floorplate is also loose and rattles; it's very worn, though.

Other than that it's a nice rifle.  Mine is on an Izhevsk 1905 receiver with the Imperial eagle intact and with Steyr markings and a serial number that I'm pretty sure was applied by Steyr, as it's in the right location for that and uses the same font as my M95 (this is in addition to the Finnish M39 serial).  Mine has one of the B barrels with the SA partially cut off and which is plum-coloured.  Post-war stock with arsenal repairs to the butt.  Definitely not in unissued condition.  It definitely saw service and has a lot of the same sort of wear as my K-31, especially around the butt and muzzle areas.  Most of the stock's metal furniture looks brand new, though. Looks like it could have an interesting history, and I wonder if it saw action (the receiver, anyways) during the two wars with the Soviets as an M91 or some other configuration before being converted into an M39 (post-war, if I understand the history of the B barrel M39s correctly).  It obviously saw action during WWI.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 1937 91/30 that shot high, I used a small piece of insulation off a copper wire after removing the copper and slid it over the from sight so I could "adjust" it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 1937 91/30 that shot high, I used a small piece of insulation off a copper wire after removing the copper and slid it over the from sight so I could "adjust" it.
View Quote
It's one thing to shoot a bit high.  The M39's sights are calibrated for a loading with very different ballistics from the typical light ball loads.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure sounds like you got a crappy one. Over all fin mosins tend to have about the smoothest actions short of maybe the polish m44s.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Please stop the “sneak” nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine has a Sako barrel and shoots very well with commercial ammo. Decent trigger but not match quality .
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sure sounds like you got a crappy one. Over all fin mosins tend to have about the smoothest actions short of maybe the polish m44s.
View Quote
My theory is that the looser the bolt parts fit together, the stiffer the action will be. When you rotate the bolt handle, it needs to pull the striker back and also rotate the bolt head. If the parts are loosely fit, then rotating the bolt does not transfer 100% of the motion to the striker and bolt head. Thus, this is why you might have to slap the bolt to get it to open. I don’t think there is much you can do to smoothen a Mosin action except to replace worn bolt parts. Polishing the parts does nothing.

My 91/30 and M44 have slick actions. Using the 91/30 bolt in my M39 fixes the stiffness. My M44 bolt doesn’t headspace correctly in the M39 so I can’t use that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Combat sights:  Work better for combat in combat conditions.  Will nearly always not work as well at the range.

You're taking to the range and seeing that.

Find some rabbits you wanna annihilate.  Suddenly the sights work better.

It's a psycho-optical thing.

Like I mentioned earlier, the French did the same thing, and their front sights are wide as buses.
View Quote
You’re talking about the Lewes front sight blade right that they used on the M16 Berthier?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please stop the “sneak” nonsense.
View Quote
Seriously.  No such thing as “sneak” rifles.  They were simply made well after the war.

As for quality, I have a SAKO M39 with excellent fit and finish.  The Finns did not make receivers.  I doubt they ever made the main bolt part.  However, at one point or the other, they did make some of the small parts.

The cocking piece on mine is beautifully-made with a very clear SAKO cartouche on it.

As for other rifles being better....  The Mosin system worked very well on the Eastern Front especially in brutally cold weather in which other rifles would freeze up.  A beautiful Mauser of SMLE that can’t be cycled is an inferior MBR.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All of the content on the internet sings high praises of the gun. The Finns took a clunky Russian piece of crap rifle and turned it into a jewel capable of competing against any military rifle of the era. I have not found anyone say anything bad about the gun.

My M39 is a 1967-dated "sneak". It looked unissued, unfired, and unused when I got it. The bore still had bluing, and there was no bluing wear even on the contact areas of the receiver. The stock is immaculate. It's safe to say that I got a good specimen.

The bolt is made from a hodgepodge of recycled Russian parts from different factories and different eras. The bolt parts are quite poorly fitted, and the bolt rattles considerably when out of the gun. In fact, it is so loosely fitted that the bolt does not even function 100%. About half of the time when I pull the trigger, I get no 2nd stage wall - the trigger breaks like a double-action. The bolt also will not close fully: the handle is at a noticeable 20-degree angle instead of being horizontal. Oh, and did I mention that extraction requires a hard slap every time? Yet, I keep hearing about how the Finns smoothed out the action and the M39 has a much slicker action than the 91/30. I actually borrow the bolt off my 91/30 and use that when I shoot my M39. It functions much better. At the end of the day, the M39 is still a Mosin Nagant action, and the misfit recycled parts can make the action even worse than what you find on 91/30s.

Next the sights. Oh how much have I heard about the sights being superior. I think the sight picture is awful. I have never seen a thicker front post on a milsurp, and it is paired with a tiny rear notch. The gun is quite accurate, but the sights are a real letdown and I have to really do my part to get the gun to group well. The 91/30 has far superior sights. Just grap some calipers and measure the sights...

On a positive note, the stock and barrel are awesome, and the gun is very accurate (if I do my part with the crappy sights). It's a 1-1.5 moa gun with the right ammo.

I think Finnish Mosins are overrated mainly because of Finnish exploits during the Winter War to humiliate the Russians. Somehow, that supposedly means their rifles are that much better. This is kind of like how French guns are looked down upon because France surrendered 6 weeks after Hitler invaded.

Am I the only person to think Finnish Mosins are way overrated? I've just been itching to get my thoughts out there since I have not seen anyone else share my views.
View Quote
Yup, so over rated.
I'll give you $100 to take that POS off your hands.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
They live up to their reputation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried brass-cased ammo like PPU in it?

I do tend to agree with the OP that it's overrated.  Not bad, but people probably get just a little bit too excited about them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had half a dozen or so of the M39, a couple of the M28/30, many 91/30, and several of the original M91. Of the lot, I'd take a good condition M91 over the rest. Be it imperial Russian or Finnish. Of my remaining mosins, that's all I have left. They just work better for me.

In full disclosure, I've been shedding mosins for mausers over the last several months. It's a real toss up over which I prefer more. A nice M91 mosin, or a nice 98 mauser of some variety.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]
gots to say i have two. One new with a tag and another in great shape. Love them. Yes it is a Mosin but the Finns did great work on these and the trigger is wonderful!!!
Just my two cents
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]
1.5 MOA for a mid 20th Century re hash of a 19th Century design, for a general issue infantry rifle is amazing, IMO.   Especially when shooting military issue ball (assuming USSR surplus).

Think about that for a second.

I read on another gunboard that the 1903 Springfield was acceptable for service with 3" at 100 yards.   Not saying many (or most) of them didn't shoot better, but that's acceptable at the time it was in general issue.

For a fighting rifle, issued to Infantrymen, it's good performance.  Again, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top