Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2018 12:55:22 AM EDT
Nothing contacts the barrel apart from the gas block
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's considered freefloated since the gas block and VFG are mounted directly to the barrel, but they are fairly accurate rifles nonetheless.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure it rides on the front of the receiver just behind the gas block as well as locking in the rear.  Not sure if that would be considered free floated or not.  Either way the front grip is most certainly attached to the barrel via the gas block.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]
No, it’s not, the gas block and the trunnion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Not even close.  It contacts the receiver trunion in the back, the lock-button thingy in the front where the gas-block/grip system rig is, and I think the charging handle has a pin that sticks into that zone as well for a 3rd point of contact.  And on top of that, it has the front grip hanging down, which user can use exerting a lot of variability of force, depending - or the user can choose not to touch the pistol grip, but it's 4+" long on its own, sticking down, resulting in a good bit of moment-of-inertia on its own.

On top of that, it jets quite a stream of gas into the gas-block, and then ejects a lot of that gas.  Combined with a mass of a short-stroke gas pistol that's probably starting to move while the bullet is still in the barrel.

As gun systems go, it's kind of as inherently inaccurate as you can get.  What amazes me, is that they can still be made to shoot 2 MOA, and even tighter on a good day, with the right ammo (usually; though mine seems to have opened up to closer to >2.5 MOA), and holds a zero even when the barrel is popped on and off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The idea with free floating a barrel is to isolate external forces that can change barrel harmonics and shift poi, so I don't think gas moving though the system or the movement of gas system parts is a consideration.  Those forces were there when the gun was zero'd and will be the same regardless of external factors.  Same for being connected to the receiver at the trunion or at the gas block.  Free floated AR's have those contact points as well.  I'm pretty sure because of the attachment point of the front sling swivel, sling use would not shift poi either.

For the grip, it just seems that because all of the forward contact is at the really big gas block, that it would be very hard for there to be enough torque put on the vfg to also affect poi.  When i shoot, I never put any substantial pressure on the vfg.  It's really just to support the weight (minimal since the center of gravity is at the pistol grip) and move the front of the rifle.  When prone or at a bench, the vfg is folded up and I support the gun where the curve of the hand guard meets the stock.

I guess technically it's not free floated because of the vfg, but because of the overall design and with 2/3 of the barrel hidden inside the receiver, it seems that the external forces can shift poi on an AR aren't as much of a factor with an AUG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top