Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2018 9:44:43 PM EDT
Anything wrong with the 22-250 for yote busting?

Thinking about getting a Rem model 7
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
King of the busted yote!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic varmint round for Coyotes here. I use a custom Remington Heavy barrel fluted and ported most days hunting them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
look at a savage 12 instead much more accurate and better quality plus Remington is about to go under
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely. I picked up one of the 1:8 twist Tikkas earlier this year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
King of the busted yote!
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I still like mine for grounghog slaying.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to round for the prairie dog crowd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
cool beans.  I want one, but was thinking Rem 7 due to the lightweight and smaller action.  Anything else comparable to the Model 7 size and weight ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
cool beans.  I want one, but was thinking Rem 7 due to the lightweight and smaller action.  Anything else comparable to the Model 7 size and weight ?
View Quote
If I had to pick one predator rifle I'd probably pick a 22-250. Still a great cartridge choice in my opinion. If I was looking for a new 22-250 today I'd pick a Tikka T3 Lite. Nothing wrong with the model 7 but the ones I've had are not as accurate as my Tikkas have been. Plus the Tikka has a removable magazine and is nearly 1/2 lb lighter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I've heard they can be not very fur friendly if your trying to save the hides.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are after hides then trapping is the way to go in my opinion. Shooting with any rifle in the body area is going to reduce hide value a "hair". That said, as I'm sure you know, damage can be minimized with proper bullet selection. Now if you are talking bobcats, yeah they are pretty easy to tear up. But again, if hides are the goal, shooting critters is a poor method of collecting them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are after hides then trapping is the way to go in my opinion. Shooting with any rifle in the body area is going to reduce hide value a "hair". That said, as I'm sure you know, damage can be minimized with proper bullet selection. Now if you are talking bobcats, yeah they are pretty easy to tear up. But again, if hides are the goal, shooting critters is a poor method of collecting them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only hunt for recreation and don't use a 22-250, so I really don't know much about fur harvest.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
It's not a round I see talked about much on the sites I read. I'd bet it is still a topic on boards about varmint hunting though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow that is cool they adjusted the twist to go with the heavy bullets.

I have my old school 80’s vintage model 700 but I replaced the stock with a Fiberglas one and bedded it.  The original wood fore end kept twisting and pressing the barrel.   After having left the gun in the safe for over a decade I discovered the problem on the range when my windage was off and I ran out of adjustment trying to fix the zero.   All good now.

ETA I will have to say the .223 by shear volume has put the .222 and .22-250 into niche role not near as common as they once were.   That said not much is going to have the velocity except a swift or probably the new .22 Nosler.

I have shot a lot of eastern wood chucks with my 700v .22-250 out to 500 yards.  I would say that’s much easier with a .22-250 than a .223 but it’s possible for both.  For practical hunting ranges on coyotes there isn’t a difference in usage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Here in Ohio it is potent groundhog medicine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have my old school 80's vintage model 700 but I replaced the stock with a Fiberglas one and bedded it.  The original wood fore end kept twisting and pressing the barrel.   After having left the gun in the safe for over a decade I discovered the problem on the range when my windage was off and I ran out of adjustment trying to fix the zero.   All good now.

ETA I will have to say the .223 by shear volume has put the .222 and .22-250 into niche role not near as common as they once were.   That said not much is going to have the velocity except a swift or probably the new .22 Nosler.

I have shot a lot of eastern wood chucks with my 700v .22-250 out to 500 yards.  I would say that's much easier with a .22-250 than a .223 but it's possible for both.  For practical hunting ranges on coyotes there isn't a difference in usage.
View Quote
It was a limited run they did for Whitakers, there was a group buy/pre order at 24hour campfire. Whitakers site shows they still have 112 in stock. The fast twist is the way to go, I will never shoot anything lighter than 55gr. Loading 60, 62, and 67 stuff right now.

22-250 has always been a hunting round, call that a niche if you like, but I don't think its popularity has lessened any in the recent past.

The 22-250 and 223 aren't in the same league over 300yrds. 5" drop difference at 400 and 11" at 500 with the 22-250 caring 25% more energy.

Disclaimer: rough math based on a 60gr pill, plus I'm kinda dumb.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Is barrel life an issue?  I'm guessing if you lean towards a heavier bullet it wouldn't be too bad.  But 52, 55 grainers are zinging, aren't they?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Britt-dog
I didn't know they made this! Got a link to it?
I have wanted a fast twist 22-250 forever now so I could shoot the heavier pills.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Britt-dog
I didn't know they made this! Got a link to it?
I have wanted a fast twist 22-250 forever now so I could shoot the heavier pills.
View Quote
@MDStroup  this is the best I can do. For some reason I can't figure out how to hot link.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38416
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
22-250 has always been a hunting round, call that a niche if you like, but I don't think its popularity has lessened any in the recent past.

The 22-250 and 223 aren't in the same league over 300yrds. 5" drop difference at 400 and 11" at 500 with the 22-250 caring 25% more energy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my old school 80's vintage model 700 but I replaced the stock with a Fiberglas one and bedded it.  The original wood fore end kept twisting and pressing the barrel.   After having left the gun in the safe for over a decade I discovered the problem on the range when my windage was off and I ran out of adjustment trying to fix the zero.   All good now.

I have shot a lot of eastern wood chucks with my 700v .22-250 out to 500 yards.  I would say that's much easier with a .22-250 than a .223 but it's possible for both.  For practical hunting ranges on coyotes there isn't a difference in usage.

Totally agree. Although I've killed a shit ton of coyotes with .223 the farther past 250 yards you get, the 22-250 surpasses the .223 in performance. Even starting at 200 yards the lethality is more authoritative with the 22-250. I kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my .220 Swift. Still have 1000 new .220 Swift cases. Might have to breakdown and have a rifle built to go with them.

Someone asked if the 22-250 is a "barrel burner". It is not. The Swift isn't either with today's barrels and common sense loading.

As far as fur goes, I have no time for messing with that. I could work an extra weekend and make more than a whole season of fiddling with fur. I just want my coyotes efficiently dead at whatever range I shoot them at. As mentioned the 22-250 does a good job of it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a nice Model 7 CDL in 22-250.  That thing would not group for anything.  I put 500 rounds through it and would occasionally get a sub 2" grouping at 100 yards
Traded it for a Model 700 Varmint and can consistently get sub 1" groups at 200 yards.
Sierra 63 grain SMP over Varget.

The 7's action isn't really that much smaller and stocks and accessories are nowhere near as common as the 700.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Savage 22-250 years ago to take out west for prairie dogs.  It worked great for it's indented purpose, but I haven't been out there in years and has sat mostly unused.

Recently I pulled it out and started burning through my remain ammo.  I've toyed with the idea of barreling it with a fast twist, so I could shot heavier bullets, or to 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#24]
You know what this thread is missing guys......

Pics of all these rifles being talked about.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lightweight bullets and a slow twist barrel is very fur friendly...,
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to know. My father in law just got a 22-250 for Christmas so I'll be sure to pass that on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top