Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2021 3:04:03 AM EDT
Titanium is actually not as hard as stainless steel, I don’t really see the point in the titanium version. It’s lighter than the stainless steel, which may make it more comfortable, but the aluminum is lighter yet. To me, judging by photos, the titanium doesn’t have an advantage in appearance; they all look about the same, except the stainless steel is shiniest.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Titanium is much stronger than 304 or 316SS and weighs ~30% less. Yes, Aluminum is even lighter, but you don't have nearly the strength. Leave the Al for subsonic, lower pressure, builds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Worth it. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Worth it. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Titanium is a great choice for rifle unless you are doing consistent mag dumps. Even with that, for the Form1 world, the only semi-available tubes that would out perform Gr9 Ti in that context would be 17-4 H900, but there’s only one company offering tubes in that material.

I opt for Gr9 every time. A simple glass bead blast makes the Ti look really nice:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=6464551

just curious how many drill will be destroyed by the titanium cup
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have similar one to this, half the price Grade 5 Titanium. Carbide drill bit with AlTiN coating with a drill press was like butter drilled 4x10 grade 5 cups no problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on your technique.  

I do my baffles with a set of chinese center drills, HSS bits from harbor freight, USA made reamers from McMaster Carr, and clipped with some TiN coated chinese end mills.  Every baffle, I use appropriate speeds on the bit and tap magic for lube.  Center drill, then drill with 2 different bits, and ream to size.  Then come in with the end mill and clip it.  

I have completed 4 cans.  Got another one lined up in the garage to finish up.  My HF drill bit set is not showing any signs of stopping yet.  None of them have been burned up or ruined.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

As others have conveyed, Ti isn't some unobtanium metal that's hard to drill through. Yes, it has it's nuances, but, still, not difficult. Your through depth is like 60thou.

I use, almost exclusively, HSS drill bits on my lathe. I go through Ti dry or sometimes w/ a single drop of non-chlorinated cutting fluid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As others have conveyed, Ti isn't some unobtanium metal that's hard to drill through. Yes, it has it's nuances, but, still, not difficult. Your through depth is like 60thou.

I use, almost exclusively, HSS drill bits on my lathe. I go through Ti dry or sometimes w/ a single drop of non-chlorinated cutting fluid.
View Quote

HSS is fine. I trust it more on titanium when heated than carbide. I've had carbide break easy because I didn't relax and went too quick. Even with cutting fluid.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The trick to machining titanium is realizing that it work hardens very easily.  If you don't allow an HSS bit to simply rub, and keep it cutting, it will cut a fair amount of Ti before needing resharpening.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The trick to machining titanium is realizing that it work hardens very easily.  If you don't allow an HSS bit to simply rub, and keep it cutting, it will cut a fair amount of Ti before needing resharpening.
View Quote

Yep. My tailstock wasn't 100% locked down and it caused my drill to rub instead of push...killed the drill pretty quick. Otherwise Ti cuts better than most people expect.  Just treat it like the past and don't dwell on it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. My tailstock wasn't 100% locked down and it caused my drill to rub instead of push...killed the drill pretty quick. Otherwise Ti cuts better than most people expect.  Just treat it like the past and don't dwell on it.
View Quote
Haha
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty tube
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Titanium is much stronger than 304 or 316SS and weighs ~30% less. Yes, Aluminum is even lighter, but you don't have nearly the strength. Leave the Al for subsonic, lower pressure, builds.
View Quote

Aluminum, even as low as 6061 is fine in rimfire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Aluminum, even as low as 6061 is fine in rimfire.
View Quote

Yes, rimfire is a lower pressure round and was what I said to leave Al for, in the post you quoted.
@ahrion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top