Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess I'm just curious as to why you would believe an official statement any more at that point, then.

~Augee
View Quote
Because this is the internet and I can say whatever I want and add someone’s official name and contact info at the bottom too. Not suggesting that’s what happened at all, in fact I’m willing to bet that’s as close to an official statement from L3 on the matter as I’ll get. I’ve seen first hand, in this forum, misinformation originate from TNVC staff. Whatever, mistakes happen. There’s also a far cry from deliberately lying to customers to make a sale and not always being right, but both are misinformation regardless of intent. So I  take the “Trust but verify” approach to everyone now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
what a roller coaster this thread was lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting to hear that it came from USNV since they are a Elbit dealer. When I inquired a couple years ago with them, I did not hear anything about tube life, and let’s just say they took me to SHOT before, but I still have L3 UF WP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ion poisoning...  If it gets to EOL. Electrons hit gas molecules in the tube, and they become ions and travel to the photocathode where they burrow in and poison it. Gas can dissolve into the glass they make the MCP from, and this is slowly released over time, especially with electron impacts.

They can die from other causes too. PSU failure, Exceeding shock limits, Insulation breakdown, Fire, Mechanical damage, Photocathode burn, Image burn-in (fixed pattern noise) and other causes, but if taken care of, generally many Gen3 will eventually die of ion poisoning. That's what the film and/or autogating and/or better degassing is intended to slow down... Without some kind of protection, GaAs doesn't last long at all.

Gen2 tends to be more linear, but over 10000 hours, they lose about half, and then over another 10000 hours, another half, etc. So you can probably get more than 20,000 hours from a good Gen2.
Gen3 tends to hold on a little longer - So will decay slower than Gen2, though not enough to sway a decision about which you should get, and then suddenly dies at the end of life. It will decay to worthless in a very short period of time.  Maybe less than 100 hours. But you should get your original 10,000 hours out of it.

The term for a tube that decays 20% in the first 500 hours? "Faulty"...Or maybe just sub-standard. Not sure what might lead to that, unless you're using on full moon nights all the time with a DC PSU.  That would probably do it, but it will hurt filmed and filmless equally. Well, Filmless does tend to have good autogating.

I've never heard anyone talk about Filmless decaying 20% in 500 hours though... Just what is the claimed mechanism? As others mentioned, I can't see a tube that does that giving 10,000 hours.

David.
View Quote
I understood about 25% percent of that, but it was super cool. Thanks for posting.

Quoted:
From Mark Horning The brain at L3Harris. Straight from the horses mouth. I hope this quashes all the rumors you guys have been hearing about unfilmed Tech. It is amazing tech and and continues to improve as the years go on.

Sam,

The engineers we sent to SHOT were hearing similar BS.

1)  As you know, we are required to run sample units on lifetime reliability.  The reliability requirement is 1500 hours on “accelerated reliability”.  The accelerated profile is supposed to represent 10x acceleration over typical real-world use.  This is possibly one source of mis-information.  Each hour on the test box is supposed to be equivalent to ~10 hours of “real world” use.   The profile is in the various MIL-PRFs.  Note: the US Army designed the test, not the manufacturers.

I pulled the last three months of complete data for the unfilmed product.  On average, gain INCREASED 18% at 1500 hours, and SNR went down 1.2%.   That’s only 15 tubes, because we only run 5 a month, and even the accelerated test takes around 3 months to complete.   Next time you or anyone else from TNVC is in the factory, I will be happy to show you the equipment, as well as share some of the performance graphs.

Now, the original unfilmed tubes from the late 90s early 2000s had serious lifetime issues.  I remember ITT built some that lasted around 200 hours.  The early Litton/L-3 ones were better, but honestly not by much.  I’m told we got 500 hours, but the yield to get there was terrible.  That was 15-20 years ago though.   The tech is completely different now, and has been for many years.

Also, the US Air Force would not have given us a $93 million contract for high-FOM unfilmed tubes if they had lifetime reliability problems.  
Contracts are public record, but just in case you need a link here is a news article:

tube info

Mark E. Horning
Sr. Engineer – Integrated Vision Solutions
Electron Tube Operations
COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS / L3HARRIS TECHNOLOGIES
1215 S. 52nd St / Tempe, AZ 85281/ USA
View Quote
QFT

Quoted:

I would imagine there's more to the contract than just 'drop ship us 15,424 tubes', but I guess I should feel lucky we don't pay $6030/tube... well I guess we do, outta our taxes

EDIT: "The contract also accommodate requests for the high-field-of-merit tubes from other U.S. Department of Defense customers." oh yeah... so nevermind.

EDIT2: Searching here is fun when you put in 5855 for PSC. $3-4M to Optics1 for SWIR COSIs each of the last 2 years - didn't realize there were that many out there. Definitely some familiar faces on the list besides the big guys - good to see others winning contracts too.
View Quote
That was neat! Also, sad face about the taxpayer being gouged $6K for a tube.  Talk about the Uncle Sugar tax!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol, I already posted "why" they last as long as they do. That letter from L3 was just corporate speak. Tell that dude next time he wants to drop some wisdom, use specific reasons please bc he used a lot of words to say nothing.

The reason is significantly less voltage on the PC, which is bae and really good problem solving on their part. Still gonna degrade faster since it's GaAs vs MA but that's just how it be cuz it do. MA is the better choice for larping with friends, GaAs for science and those that take it out once or twice a year with gloves on and baby them. I mean, nvg is best for looking up at the stars and nothing beats filmless for that, but they lost the nvg game and are putting window dressings on mediocrity now.

I'd suspect their testing methods are two dimensional. I mean, it's L3, like they have any credibility. Tell him to post the testing machine or I'm calling no balls. Not the mil spec of what the test should be, but their setup. I want to seeeeeee. I'll also settle for doing it in person if they don't want to post it. I mean, it can't be as bad a setup than the NIJ labs that look like crack houses.

I mean 1500x10 is what, like at least as old as the sun and they gaining out here. It must be a pact w the devil.

Harris has this white paper tho: https://www.harris.com/sites/default/files/the-gen-3-advantage-white-paperv3.pdf

And u can Google up test machines for accelerated testing, so which one they using?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lol, I already posted "why" they last as long as they do. That letter from L3 was just corporate speak. Tell that dude next time he wants to drop some wisdom, use specific reasons please bc he used a lot of words to say nothing.

The reason is significantly less voltage on the PC, which is bae and really good problem solving on their part. Still gonna degrade faster since it's GaAs vs MA but that's just how it be cuz it do. MA is the better choice for larping with friends, GaAs for science and those that take it out once or twice a year with gloves on and baby them. I mean, nvg is best for looking up at the stars and nothing beats filmless for that, but they lost the nvg game and are putting window dressings on mediocrity now.

I'd suspect their testing methods are two dimensional. I mean, it's L3, like they have any credibility. Tell him to post the testing methods or I'm calling no balls. Not the mil spec of what the test should be, but their setup. I want to seeeeeee. I'll also settle for doing it in person if they don't want to post it. I mean, it can't be as bad a setup than the NIJ labs that look like crack houses.

I mean 1500x10 is what, like at least as old as the sun and they gaining out here. It must be a pact w the devil.
View Quote
It was so much nicer when you were banned. Please keep the GD in GD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's the best you're going to get Matthew, I doubt very much L3Harris wants to give away everything. If you want to stick with MA photocathodes which have Electron affinity then by all means step back into the dark ages, literally.

That said I am going to take a tour of the Production facility in a few months and I might have some tidbits of info to sprinkle out there.
View Quote
That would be totally cool! Pictures where you can please, it would be amazing! Also of the people who work there, if you can interview some of them about anything of interest that would also be a blessing.

ETA: we're gonna ignite the tube wars again with that first paragraph, lol. :) Happy Friday friend!

EETA: more info on power supplies please, where it was during ITT vs now, where they plan to take it from here, stuff like that to really fill in the gaps, if you can. Also new chemistry (be vague, I mean if it's really new I'm sure they can't say) and how they really feel about putting Mayo on french fries.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eh, I mean I was kind of nicer to L3. The whole tube wars was about getting to the truth, and not what each rumor made it "true". We found the truth and the truth is, filmless is as good as they say. They could have saved us some time and came right out with it, but as you see in the letter, they say a lot of shit without saying shit. Thankfully, we have third party researchers willing to publish "toppest secret" information for the sake of science, which is the most important part of the hobby when keeping vendors from making crazy claims means keeping the playing field educated.

Fuck it, what do I know? I'm just a hobbyist and BE Meyers pulses their lasers. Lol.

We just want transparency. The whole ITAR thing was overblown and used to cover deficiencies in actual facts. Now, we can get facts and that's important to everyone because it keeps us honest. I've been wrong before, not intentionally wrong, but when the facts present, we move forward from there. That's the best part of these forums, besides the vendors always fighting w each other. Yikes.

Feel free to add anything that can help the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The term for a tube that decays 20% in the first 500 hours? "Faulty"...Or maybe just sub-standard. Not sure what might lead to that, unless you're using on full moon nights all the time with a DC PSU. That would probably do it, but it will hurt filmed and filmless equally. Well, Filmless does tend to have good autogating

Can someone shed more light on what cj7hawk/David wrote above. I assume DC PSU means Dedicated power supply unit and does that mean hardwired? Not sure how someone runs NV that way but it made me curious.

Now I realize he was tying the use of NV while under full moons with this DC PSU, but it made me wonder if using NV in and around LED based IR security cameras can shorten the life of a tube. Example: You are inside a building that has exterior mounted LED based IR security cameras that are facing fields and woods around the building. So you are not looking directly at the LED based illuminators, just at what they covering.  So will using NV every night under these circumstances lessen the life of a tube?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd suspect their testing methods are two dimensional. I mean, it's L3, like they have any credibility. Tell him to post the testing machine or I'm calling no balls. Not the mil spec of what the test should be, but their setup. I want to seeeeeee. I'll also settle for doing it in person if they don't want to post it. I mean, it can't be as bad a setup than the NIJ labs that look like crack houses.

Harris has this white paper tho: https://www.harris.com/sites/default/files/the-gen-3-advantage-white-paperv3.pdf

And u can Google up test machines for accelerated testing, so which one they using?
View Quote
I'm glad you're here JoJo, your post are informative as well as entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It’s not a typo, I just bought two 3000 fom thin filmed Elbit tubes. I know of my two, this tube and one other that are 3000 fom or close made in the last few months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3000 FOM filmed unit?

Is that a typo? Or is he just full of sh*t? 3000 FOM isn’t even the norm for the best filmless tubes being delivered to the guys on the other side of the fence on McKeller’s Road...

3000 FOM tubes are at the bleeding edge of what the industry is capable of producing at its absolute top tier. I’m not even sure I’ve ever even heard of a filmed Omni tube exceeding 2000 FOM, much less 3000.
It’s not a typo, I just bought two 3000 fom thin filmed Elbit tubes. I know of my two, this tube and one other that are 3000 fom or close made in the last few months.
Assuming specs are identical between a pair of L3 filmless and a set of Elbit thin-filmed, what other differences might one notice in performance/image/durability/lifespan/etc/etc? Sounds like the filmless no longer hold the spot as 'the only way to get high FoM tubes’ unless there’s some other spec that wasn’t discussed that would make the Elbits with films perform worse. (That’s not a direct quote or anything, just what seemed to be the common idea until hearing about these high spec filmed Elbits) Anything about just the fact that there’s a thin film in place that would hurt the image to perform worse than the spec sheet says?

I’m certainly happy with my L3 tubes, but I field a lot of questions from guys at the range and this was news to me that the thin film stuff seemed to have caught up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#18]
This is all speculation/opinion without actual filmless users who experienced this coming forward, or legitimate real-world examples/proof that modern L3 filmless tubes lose their performance faster than thin filmed. I find it hard to believe considering how widespread they have become in the military and having to meet those requirements, not to mention how widely used in the civilian market. Repeat something enough times and even people you'd consider to be experts will repeat the same thing, but do they actually know for a fact or seen it with their own eyes.

Just for some clarity of the extent of gen 3 degradation compared to gen 2. I have a 24 year gen 3 10160 tube that's Omni III or IV with who knows how many hours on it and it's brightness is similar to a brand new 11769 Photonis Echo that I used to have. The Echo's resolution was better obviously being 67 res/31snr compared to Omni III-IV specs from 1996 (51-64 res / 19-21 snr).
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Assuming specs are identical between a pair of L3 filmless and a set of Elbit thin-filmed, what other differences might one notice in performance/image/durability/lifespan/etc/etc? Sounds like the filmless no longer hold the spot as 'the only way to get high FoM tubes’ unless there’s some other spec that wasn’t discussed that would make the Elbits with films perform worse. (That’s not a direct quote or anything, just what seemed to be the common idea until hearing about these high spec filmed Elbits) Anything about just the fact that there’s a thin film in place that would hurt the image to perform worse than the spec sheet says?

I’m certainly happy with my L3 tubes, but I field a lot of questions from guys at the range and this was news to me that the thin film stuff seemed to have caught up.
View Quote
Another thing to add. What are the average specs or the spec range (minimums and maximums) of these Elbit XLSH tubes? These seem to be the only Elbits that are achieving these high FOM numbers from what I've seen. Is it similar to L3 1800 series with a bottom but an unlimited top, etc. etc.? I've asked a few places and got only one response with limited info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Another thing to add. What are the average specs or the spec range (minimums and maximums) of these Elbit XLSH tubes? These seem to be the only Elbits that are achieving these high FOM numbers from what I've seen. Is it similar to L3 1800 series with a bottom but an unlimited top, etc. etc.? I've asked a few places and got only one response with limited info.
View Quote
XLSH has pretty crappy minimums and no maximum specs. I had previously been seeing them come in really consistent in the WP models at 2000 FOM, 2200 photocathode, and around 1.0 EBI and Halo. These were with the Harris spec sheets. Then I got the one that was 2700 FOM and started hearing about the other super spec ones. No idea if it’s a fluke or trend, but they were already pumping out decent tubes for money IMO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Can someone with access to both recent production high FOM Elbit thin-filmed and L3 filmless tubes please post pics so we can all ogle and argue over an unscientific, subjective comparison on the interwebz? Tanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

XLSH has pretty crappy minimums and no maximum specs. I had previously been seeing them come in really consistent in the WP models at 2000 FOM, 2200 photocathode, and around 1.0 EBI and Halo. These were with the Harris spec sheets. Then I got the one that was 2700 FOM and started hearing about the other super spec ones. No idea if it’s a fluke or trend, but they were already pumping out decent tubes for money IMO.
View Quote
That’s good to know so guys don’t assume just because it’s an XLSH doesn’t mean they’ll get higher specs.

Can you share the minimums?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The term for a tube that decays 20% in the first 500 hours? "Faulty"...Or maybe just sub-standard. Not sure what might lead to that, unless you're using on full moon nights all the time with a DC PSU. That would probably do it, but it will hurt filmed and filmless equally. Well, Filmless does tend to have good autogating

Can someone shed more light on what cj7hawk/David wrote above. I assume DC PSU means Dedicated power supply unit and does that mean hardwired? Not sure how someone runs NV that way but it made me curious.

Now I realize he was tying the use of NV while under full moons with this DC PSU, but it made me wonder if using NV in and around LED based IR security cameras can shorten the life of a tube. Example: You are inside a building that has exterior mounted LED based IR security cameras that are facing fields and woods around the building. So you are not looking directly at the LED based illuminators, just at what they covering.  So will using NV every night under these circumstances lessen the life of a tube?

Thanks
View Quote
@CTM1
I wouldn't worry about the lights. That's nowhere near the same overall light entering the tube compared to a full/bright Moon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can someone with access to both recent production high FOM Elbit thin-filmed and L3 filmless tubes please post pics so we can all ogle and argue over an unscientific, subjective comparison on the interwebz? Tanks!
View Quote
Here's an L3
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I have both and will post some stuff for you guys
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
L3 Filmless.

ETA: These were taken through Anvis objectives which lower the brightness some.

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#28]
That second pic is
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah this is going to be very productive...

Edit - I don’t think my sarcasm was clear enough
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah this is going to be very productive...
View Quote
It might be a day or so but I will get some uploaded
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the 720nm IR cut off lenses on all nine of mine, so no problems whatsoever.

In fact, the image quality actually went up 20% during the first 500 hrs from not having any non-IR photons hitting the gallium arsenide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Look at what you've done ...
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't even know this was a thing I just use the stuff and don't worry about numbers so much.  I've seen 27-2800 fom tubes, rarely look through anything under 2k fom and even still can't tell a difference.

I think unless you have both at the same time to compare with, you probably won't be able to see much of a difference either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/HarrisBNVD-1226983.jpg

Harris/Elbit WP HP+ tube in a BNVD Single gain. SN 32

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/l3UL-1226982.jpg

L3 filmless in an Ultralight BNVD Single gain SN 35

Same night, middle of the woods, 20 or so miles from nearest city. Nearest street light/telephone pole close to a 1/2 mile away. Time- about a minute apart, just long enough to transfer the cheap little Iphone adapter from one unit to the next.
View Quote
Awesome comparison pics Robert, how common are the spec you listed for the Harris/Elbit tubes is your company getting in?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We just audited some data sheets for White and Green phosphor. I'm trying to catch up with this big stack of them by my desk. I post them on my EE listing for the PVS14. That always helps  give a little idea of current specs of actual units that are shipping.
View Quote
Was just checking the specs out on the WHPs and they’re hitting the same higher specs. Some nice #’s for sure. I’d prefer the WHP over the XLSH due to the better spot specs.

ETA: @Lowdown3
Actually, after checking the WHP specs on NVD’s site, it looks like the spot spec allows more spots than the HP+ but as we found out on a different thread, NVD may not have updated their website. Is the WHP spot spec the same as the HP+?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It shows as slightly different between the HP green and white. I'll see if I can get an official statement on that. The WP HP+ I've seen I would say have damn near same spot spec. I'll try to get some pics of a current unit and post them.
View Quote
The WHP or WHP+ (whatever it is) minimum spot specs would be great.

Per website
HP+
Zone 1 0 spots
Zone 2 0 spots
Zone 3 1x .006-.009 and 2x .003-.006

WHP
Zone 1 0 spots
Zone 2 1x .006-.009 and 2x .003-.006
Zone 3 1x .006-.009 and 2x .003-.006
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
Yep, you got it. You said it well too... Functionally, you could say photons that get amplified use up the tube like it's got some kind of photon-fuel inside. It's a direct relationship mostly. Twice as much light at the same power level = half the lifespan. Don't think about that too much since we're often talking thousands of times the light, and a 10-hour tube life would suck, but they do drop the voltages and hence the energy internally, so it's a complex relationship... But it is still fairly linear. And by DC, I meant non-autogating, so DC tubes don't handle full moon as well as Autogating tubes.  (DC as in Direct Current, as in constant photocathode voltages maintained )

Tube life is based on estimated usage, not real hours. So there's a model where they assume X number of hours of use in starlight, and Y number of hours in moonlight, and that's how they arrive at lifespan.

Or at least they used to. Now they run tubes on-spec and they replace them when they get really crappy and they measure lifespan as accelerated wear and check to make sure the tubes don't drop specification too quicky.

The PVS-14 tube ( MX11769 ) current spec tries to do something like this in around 1500 hours... So about 8 hours continuous usage every night for 6 month's worth... And if tubes drop below S/N of 21, they are considered as failed, so a tube would have to be a major failure to drop that much and still meet the spec. And during those 1500 test hours, they give around 5FC of light for 3 seconds every 11 minutes, and the rest of the time it's around starlight levels, eg, 0.00001 FC,  so it averages out a little below moonlight levels in the end I think, with some harsh switching.

If we use that as a baseline, then around high intensity IR lights, you might expect that a typical PVS-14 tube would probably last around 1000 hours before degradation was very noticeable. And maybe die before 1500 hours.

An Autogated tube should handle it much better, but it will still experience a degraded lifespan... Significantly.

But tubes are tools. Like a beer at the bar. If you are too scared of drinking it fast for fear of it going too quickly, and nurse it all night, you're going to end up leaving the bar at the end of the night with most of your beer still in the glass... Tubes should be enjoyed like a good beer. Just keep drinking at the rate you want to drink at, and when the glass is empty, buy another PVS-14.

You should also use this analogy to explain to other people why you have too many PVS-14's.

David
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#40]
How has no one replied after the reply by @cj7hawk ?!

You're saying regardless of film:

Starlight only use = 10,000 hours approx.

Heavy IR use (IR light bars, helmet illuminators, LAMs using illum/pointer (civ or full power), etc = 1,000-1,500 hours approx.

Why only current MX11769 spec? You don't know the 10160 spec..or..?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How has no one replied after the reply by @cj7hawk ?!

You're saying regardless of film:

Starlight only use = 10,000 hours approx.

Heavy IR use (IR light bars, helmet illuminators, LAMs using illum/pointer (civ or full power), etc = 1,000-1,500 hours approx.

Why only current MX11769 spec? You don't know the 10160 spec..or..?
View Quote
Both the 11769 and the 10160 are the same in this respect under Omni VIII. And the lifespan is now 7500 hours for Gen3, not 10000 hours, and 1500 hours of accelerated wear... And under Omni VII was 12,500 hours and 2500 hours accelerated.

Given that they had to drop from 2500 hours lifespan to 1500 hours lifespan under accelerated ( high light ) testing, from Omni VII to Omni VIII, that kind of tells you something right there about yields.

It's not really that surprising. Most of the experience on the board would be familiar with this. And it's not "Starlight" only, it's a predermined mix of starlight and moonlight - ie, Typical Use. They even used to have charts and tables for that kind of stuff back in the Gen2 era, when lifetimes were only around 2000 hours for typical use and aviation was a primary use consideration.

Light causes photo-electron emissions, which leads to positive ion generation in proportion to electrons ( and electron energy ) and this results in photocathode poisoning, which is mostly what determines tube life... So it makes a lot of sense when you consider it that way.

It's rare I get right into Milspecs and the quirks around them, because even 7500 hours under Omni VIII is a very long time. I doubt many civilians are going to hit it, but yeah, if you do a lot of work around high intensity IR sources, especially if you're seeing things like fixed-pattern noise all the time, then your tube life is going to be a lot shorter...

But even if we think 1000 hours, at $3500 per system, and let's say $2500 of that is tube cost, well that's just $2.50 an hour... How many rounds of ammunition is that? How many bottles of water? How much petrol and oil for the engines that drive the vehicles with all those lights?

Night vision is still cheap and is still your best bang for your buck....  :) And if anyone seriously manages to put 1000 hours in high-intensity IR light situations under NODS in less than 5 years, you have my respect.

For all practical purposes, 10,000 hours is still used as a typical example... Some tubes still even specify 15,000 hours. So depending on what you buy and who you buy from, and whether it's Milspec or otherwise, you might get different results. But generally I take tube lifetimes with a grain of salt, no matter where they come from. It's only ever nominal.

And lasers? No big deal. As long as they don't cause PC damage, they aren't usually a problem with respect to lifespan, because the total light increase is small. Helmet lights might, but generally aren't too bright for tactical reasons. Torch use is usually intermittent due to IR discipline and if you get better use from your nod from some accelerated wear, it's no biggie.

Vehicle lights? Building lights? Yeah, that stuff can cause issues. It's just bright all the time. If you're encountering that stuff a lot, I'd definitely get a good autogating tube. But even then, the Milspec accelerated testing should be taking that into consideration since it also tests other failure modes, such as the PSU and PC damage. And I reckon it would be well possible to go past the accelerated wear curve if you constantly used your NOD in high-light situations.

David.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Just to add quickly, Under Omni IX, the lifespan is back to 12,500 typical, 2,500 accelerated once again*...

*. Not ratified yet...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just to add quickly, Under Omni IX, the lifespan is back to 12,500 typical, 2,500 accelerated once again*...

*. Not ratified yet...
View Quote
Thanks. I just saw your Omni IX info on the other post.

1600 to 2376 FOM is a huge jump. Glad to see the US military is getting the quality they deserve.

Ever since I got my 2440+ filmless WP tubes I’ve been a broken record about how much better these kind of high specs are.

Once this becomes standard it’ll be pretty cool to see what will become the “new” high specs you might come across.

I love it! Pretty good for “old” analog technology that’s soon to be replaced by digital, lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Take away: If someone gets a decent Gen 3 option (from Harris or L3), the the performance and longevity of both filmless and thin filmed units is negligible. Is this an accurate assessment?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1600 to 2376 FOM is a huge jump. Glad to see the US military is getting the quality they deserve.

Ever since I got my 2440+ filmless WP tubes I’ve been a broken record about how much better these kind of high specs are.
View Quote
Hell, yeah man. I had a 1800 FOM Harris GP for a few years and just a few months ago I got my 2585 FOM filmless WP. It's just jaw dropping. I'm sure I'll never take it to 10000 hours, but it's good to know I won't be seeing a performance loss anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have the 720nm IR cut off lenses on all nine of mine, so no problems whatsoever.

In fact, the image quality actually went up 20% during the first 500 hrs from not having any non-IR photons hitting the gallium arsenide.
View Quote
Wow!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That squashes the fake news
View Quote
A guy at L3, who represents L3 tubes, claimed his stuff doesn’t do the negative thing others claim??!

Oh yeah, open and shut case!  No reason not to believe him!  I’ll take ten of them!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Because this is the internet and I can say whatever I want and add someone’s official name and contact info at the bottom too. Not suggesting that’s what happened at all, in fact I’m willing to bet that’s as close to an official statement from L3 on the matter as I’ll get. I’ve seen first hand, in this forum, misinformation originate from TNVC staff. Whatever, mistakes happen. There’s also a far cry from deliberately lying to customers to make a sale and not always being right, but both are misinformation regardless of intent. So I  take the “Trust but verify” approach to everyone now.
View Quote
Misinformation is a kind word lol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since when is him telling the truth GD?  Just because you don’t like it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:00:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here is some facts to close this anti L3 sales thread.

Fact, I said to everyone when this thread came NSFJojo would be in here.

Fact, the vendor in question does not offer L3 tubes any longer, they've been cut off for monies owed

Fact, another dealer (we won't mention names) continues to tell every customer not to purchase L3 tubes for this reason that they fail early and easily. Several of us at Shot Show fielded question after question of false claims. This does not include the repeated phone calls from our customer base stated the same dealer claims.

Fact, we train here for a living and have what I call some of the best NV trainers in the world from the special operations community  whom have more time under NODS than 95% of us along with more than 500hrs under L3 unfilmed tubes.

Fact, each one of my trainers, (including other staff) have more than 500hrs on their L3 unfilmed and not a single set of dozens of tubes including rental sets have ever shown any type of degradation claimed from this company along with a certain dealer.

Fact, (and in closing) these claims are and continue to this day (I personally fielded a call yesterday for a13K L3 unfilmed goggle order) and the customer also contacted the said dealer who stated he needed to go with a Harris/Elbit system as he and his friend would be seeing "substantial performance issues with the L3 unfilmed tubes as they use them".

Fact, these false claims are for ONE reason, and one reason only, and that is to sell Elbit tubes to the majority as  these said companies portfolio's make up 90 to 100% of these tubes.

I have instructed my staff not to comment any further in this motive driven thread that has started for the motives I laid out. We said our peace and our customers love their best of the best L3 unfilmed tubes and so does our men and women in uniform whom have never experienced a 20% tube degradation after 500 hours. And yes we sell Elbit tubes and lots of them as well. They are good tubes as well but do not perform like L3 unfilmed tubes, which are the best of the best.

Edit, to add one point. Yes we are a direct distributor for both L3 and Elbit, we do not deal with a middle man for tubes and build everything in-house for some who may not know this.

-out-
View Quote
Awesome. So you have a machine that measures this type of degradation!  What’s its name? What are your findings on you and your staffs tubes?  I mean, I’m assuming, since you made a claim of no degradation you’ve actually used generally accepted scientific testing methods to back up this claim.

Can you publish the results for us? What were your testing parameters?  What was your control?

Please, educate an ignorant plebe. In fact you should probably offer that service. Tell customers how much their tube has degraded and by how much!

I’ll send my L3 unfilmed tube in first!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top