Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2018 4:08:59 PM EDT
I have 500 primed 6.8 cases that were purchased as pulls.

I have a Redding Neck Sizer die I plan to use for resizingf the case  necks.

Can I just spray down the cases with DIY (aka Case Lube for Cheap Bastards) Case Lube or will this contaminate the live primers?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you planning on spraying it down the neck?

If you are just hitting the outside of the neck I wouldn't worry about it. I have never had any issue with lanolin based case lube "contaminating" powder either, I tend to spray my 9mm case mouths so they don't gaul my powder drop funnel to the point were I have seen powder stick to the inside of the case when doing powder drop checks.  I have never had a single issue ever.

In my experience it is really hard to deactivate a primer.  WD40, Water, Penetrating Oil and alcohol exposure didn't do it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure, but what was the plan to remove the case lube?

I use q tips to lube necks, might want to go that way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure, but what was the plan to remove the case lube?

I use q tips to lube necks, might want to go that way.
View Quote
I was planning to tumble it off with corn cob, but now I’m thinking perhaps I don’t want to do that because of the primers?

I’ve never dealt with primed cases before.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Lee collet neck sizer requires no lube, for $22 you could grab one from Midway in 270 Win (same diameter bullets as 6.8, I think). I think the only way to get rid of the decapping pin might be to break it off, but perhaps it's worth it for 500 cases.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011198814/lee-collet-neck-sizer-die
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put lube on a rag.  Wipe the cases.  Wipe off with another rag and a little lighter fluid.

Sometimes we have to take a longer route.
View Quote
Thanks, this method works just fine.  It’s sctually pretty quick, a lot faster than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope you sized the cases in between wiping on, and wiping off!
View Quote
Yep!  Applied some case lube, neck sized with a Redding Neck Sizer die, then wiped off case lube before moving on to seating.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you do it?  Probably.  I wouldnt spray it on though.

Myself, if I was just neck sizing, Id use OneShot for this.  Stand all the cases on end, give them a quick spray, and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't figure why most people here can't hand lube a lousy 500 cases!

No don't use a runny lube with live primers, you won't trust them.

Use a waxy type lube, Lip Balm is what I use, put a little on your fingers, for inside the case necks find an old bore brush that's still in the junk drawer

and just swipe it across the top of the waxy lanolin based balm. Once the brush is lubed, just push it in the neck and pull it out, done.  Just like your fingers, I could do 500 cases and GET the inside of the necks properly lubed in an hour.

Hot water rinse melts the wax off & cleans the carbon out the inside the case, {water gets rid of carbon, ask anyone who shoots a muzzleloader}

Warm cases to dry, I use a space heater and set the cases on top inside a old noodle strainer, shake them every so often. check a few of them with a q-tip

by sticking it down in, if still damp, dry a while more. Or use your vacuum cleaner with the hose on the exhaust hole, dry's a bunch in a hurry.

Sorry for the speech, got carried away
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't figure why most people here can't hand lube a lousy 500 cases!

No don't use a runny lube with live primers, you won't trust them.

Use a waxy type lube, Lip Balm is what I use, put a little on your fingers, for inside the case necks find an old bore brush that's still in the junk drawer

and just swipe it across the top of the waxy lanolin based balm. Once the brush is lubed, just push it in the neck and pull it out, done.  Just like your fingers, I could do 500 cases and GET the inside of the necks properly lubed in an hour.

Hot water rinse melts the wax off & cleans the carbon out the inside the case, {water gets rid of carbon, ask anyone who shoots a muzzleloader}

Warm cases to dry, I use a space heater and set the cases on top inside a old noodle strainer, shake them every so often. check a few of them with a q-tip

by sticking it down in, if still damp, dry a while more. Or use your vacuum cleaner with the hose on the exhaust hole, dry's a bunch in a hurry.

Sorry for the speech, got carried away
View Quote
Wouldn't the water in the case be an issue with a live primer?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
With neck sizing pull down brass, I would do one of two things.
#1 use a dry neck lube like powder mica or the Redding neck lube.
#2 use imperial die wax on a used bore brush as described above to the inside of the case neck.

Neck sizing does not really require too much lube on the out side of the case if at all.  Your biggest snag is the expander ball exiting the case neck after sizing occurs at the top of the press stroke.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry they are primed, never mind me, again sorry I wasn't paying attention.

My response was to  how to get lube inside the neck, sorry man. That's the way I'd do fired cases. LOL.' So anyway -

I would never spray down into the neck with a primed case= dead primer.

But in OP case, just swap the inside case neck with a waxy Q-tip wipe, out with tissue paper. Easy job, I am a believer in getting the inside case fully lubed.

Anyway I have punched out seated primers and reused them with 100% confidence, but in you're case I wouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry they are primed, never mind me, again sorry I wasn't paying attention.

My response was to  how to get lube inside the neck, sorry man. That's the way I'd do fired cases. LOL.' So anyway -

I would never spray down into the neck with a primed case= dead primer.

But in OP case, just swap the inside case neck with a waxy Q-tip wipe, out with tissue paper. Easy job, I am a believer in getting the inside case fully lubed.

Anyway I have punched out seated primers and reused them with 100% confidence, but in you're case I wouldn't do that.
View Quote
Thanks for clarification on spent vs live primers.

The lip balm is a nice trick, I'll try it sometime just to have a workaround on hand.  The rest of my family is crazy about lip balm in the winter, so I have a virtual lifetime supply sitting around the house.

Q-tip is exactly what I'm using to lube inside the neck.

Here's my current process for neck sizing pulled 6.8 brass:

1. pull out 100 cases (or however many I plan to do in a sitting)

2. wipe down the outside of all the cases (mostly just the necks) with a clean shop towel with a little isopropyl alcohol (some cases are slightly grimy/gritty)

3. spray some DIY lube on a clean patch and wipe down the outside of the necks

4. spray some DIY lube on a Q-tip and wide down the inside of the necks

5. resize the necks

6. wipe down outside of cases with a clean shop towel, then use a clean Q-tip with a little alcohol to wipe out the inside of the necks

7. proceed to reload

This is giving me trouble free neck sizing and I believe cleans off the case lube just fine, as my neck tension before crimping seems good
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#17]
“A little alcohol” for cleaning off lube is no problem.  You can get the inside of the neck pretty damp with alcohol and not have issues.

Make sure you give the cases enough time for the alcohol to fully evaporate, and you’re fine.  Given the way you describe your process, that drying time shouldn’t be any problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top