Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2022 10:49:24 AM EDT
As part of a trade, I may be acquiring a (supposedly) NIB Polytech.

I understand that there are likely headspace issues with these older guns imported into the U.S, as the bolts may be soft.

Are there any G.I. surplus parts to be had anymore? They seem pretty rare.

Is anyone even modifying the receivers for U.S. bolts anymore?

I may be trading an AK-74, home built on a Bulgarian kit, for a Springfield Scout M-1A.

The Polytech M-14 was offered to sweeten the deal, so I'm calling that gun $0 invested.

Even at that, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks in advance!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#1]
US M14 bolts are selling for $300 or more. Whether one would headspace in a Chinese model is a crapshoot.

There used to be gunsmiths that would work on these rifles to address their shortcomings, I was never interested in one, so their names escape me.

I personally wouldn't buy or trade for one unless I thought I could sell it for a good profit. It would have to be cheap.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Pesonally I would not trust it.  Since you are getting it essentially $0 I would use it as trade bait in your next transaction with the condition you explicitly tell them you never shot it and have no idea if it is OK.

And like above I remember there was a guy who would heat treat and harden the receivers and make them spec but I forget who.  Maybe it was Smith Enterprises in Tempe AZ.  Not sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
As I recall the Chinese M-14 came with forged receivers - sounds like a decent trade if you like M14s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The receivers are GTG. The bolt might be soft, or it might not. Despite internet hype, only some of them are, not all.
Either way, you're getting a free rifle.
Replace all the springs (a good idea on any Garand / M-14 type rifle).
Get a set of headspace gauges, and check the headspace. Check it every now and again. Only if the headspace starts to open up do you need to worry about replacing the bolt.
N.B.: the Norinco / Polytech rifles are set to 7.62 NATO specs, which is emphatically NOT the same as .308 Win.
     SAAMI (.308 Win) specifications
    1.630" GO
    1.634" NO GO
    1.638" FIELD REJECT

7.62 NATO specifications
    1.6355" GO
    1.6375" NO GO
    1.6455" FIELD REJECT

As you can see, the .308 Win gauges can be used, but the "no-go" becomes your "go", and the "field" becomes your "no-go". Not perfect, but a whole lot better than guessing. Forster does make 7.62 NATO gauges.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The headspace issue is grossly overblown.  It was a few very early guns.  The internet being what it is, it became gospel truth.  The Chinese guns continued to be imported into Canada long after they were banned down here.  Canadians seem happy with them.

You get a forged receiver, chrome lined bore, and forged op rod.  Stock may or may not meet your specs.  Swapping out rear sights is common.  Going rate seems to be around a grand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had experience with several Chinese M14s.  Here is what you need to know.

Every Chinese M14 is a law unto itself. Some of these rifles have soft bolts. But not all of them. Some of these rifles have soft hammers and triggers. But not all of them.

The receivers are usually excellent and so are the barrels.

As another poster mentioned, your first step should be to check headspace.  And when you insert the headspace guage into the chamber make sure to first strip the bolt.

In my experience Chinese M14s usually exhibit excessive headspace. Don't be surprised if your rifle swallows a 7.62 NATO field guage.

Chinese bolts are usually very short and you can achieve proper headspace by installing a USGI or an LRB bolt. American bolts are usually much longer than Chinese bolts and a rifle that swallows a 7.62 NATO field guage will now achieve safe .308 Winchester headspace with an American bolt. ( A USGI bolt now will not close on a .308 no go gauge)

When installing a USGI bolt you may have to gently lap it into place. Take your time and you will be pleased with the results.

Some Chinese M14 rifles have improperly timed barrels. But this can easily be cured.

You can also install USGI trigger parts if the Chinese parts wear. The Chinese rear sight parts are junk but you can replace the sight assembly with NOS Beretta or USGI Garand parts.

A properly tuned Chinese M14 is an excellent rifle and it is well worthwhile the effort to upgrade it
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Agreed the headspace thing is way overblown.

As long as it passes the 7.62 field it's good.

Remember closing on the field gage isn't a death sentence it's more like you need to get thinking about getting it fixed. Your rifle isn't going to blow up as soon the field gage closes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had experience with several Chinese M14s.  Here is what you need to know.

Every Chinese M14 is a law unto itself. Some of these rifles have soft bolts. But not all of them. Some of these rifles have soft hammers and triggers. But not all of them.

The receivers are usually excellent and so are the barrels.

As another poster mentioned, your first step should be to check headspace.  And when you insert the headspace guage into the chamber make sure to first strip the bolt.

In my experience Chinese M14s usually exhibit excessive headspace. Don't be surprised if your rifle swallows a 7.62 NATO field guage.

Chinese bolts are usually very short and you can achieve proper headspace by installing a USGI or an LRB bolt. American bolts are usually much longer than Chinese bolts and a rifle that swallows a 7.62 NATO field guage will now achieve safe .308 Winchester headspace with an American bolt. ( A USGI bolt now will not close on a .308 no go gauge)

When installing a USGI bolt you may have to gently lap it into place. Take your time and you will be pleased with the results.

Some Chinese M14 rifles have improperly timed barrels. But this can easily be cured.

You can also install USGI trigger parts if the Chinese parts wear. The Chinese rear sight parts are junk but you can replace the sight assembly with NOS Beretta or USGI Garand parts.

A properly tuned Chinese M14 is an excellent rifle and it is well worthwhile the effort to upgrade it
View Quote

Thanks.  I learned something in this.  So the receivers aren't soft they are sometimes a bit out of spec?  Is that the issue with them?  Or is there any issue?  I mean if they are forged and in spec install all GI parts and it's all good right?

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Those POS things were never worth owning, or even taking in on trade.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those POS things were never worth owning, or even taking in on trade.
View Quote
Send yours to me...I can make them work easily.... since most of the time they already do.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I learned something in this.  So the receivers aren't soft they are sometimes a bit out of spec?  Is that the issue with them?  Or is there any issue?  I mean if they are forged and in spec install all GI parts and it's all good right?

View Quote

The receivers are all excellent. I have heard that they may vary slightly in hardness; however, they are all safe to shoot and they all will work with USGI parts.

I have seen pictures of some early Chinese rifles that had barrels that protruded towards the breech; but I never saw anything like that in real life.

Basically they are good rifles that feature poor workmanship and poor quality control. Change the bolt; change the rear sight and make sure that the barrel is properly indexed. With these upgrades, you can have an wonderful rifle.

The barrels are very good and so are the operating rods and gas cylinders. It's just too bad that the Chinese slapped them together carelessly.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you need to replace the hammer/trigger and pins the same parts for the M1 Garand work in the M1A/M14S rifles just fine.

If you have to replace a bolt the ones to stay away from are the TRW bolts.  People have reported more issues with them when trying to fit them into a PolyTech receiver.  I used an H&R bolt and only did enough lapping to get the right contact patches on the backs of the bolt lugs (to keep from having too much pressure on one lug vs. the other.)

Also had an issue with it in a GI synthetic stock.  The hammer would follow the bolt forward sometimes.  had to modify the stock a little to move the receiver and back of the trigger housing/assembly closer together so the bolt did a better job of pushing the hammer back far enough to lock up with the trigger hooks.

Great rifles.  The one I bought (years ago) only cost $650.  It was doing fine as bought (after the stock change/work) but I got bit by all the tales of soft bolts and figured replacing it was a good idea.  The old bolt may have been fine, I'll never know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple each of Norinco and Polytech.  All were under the 308 field dimension and the two not replaced with USGI bolts really have not had headspace changed since they were new.

Warbird Custom Guns out of Texas used to be the place to get the Chinese bolt conversion done and he did my two.   I can't tell you if he is still taking work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys, thanks for all the input! I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Scout M1A and a Polytech for an AK? I don't know why you are hesitating. Get to it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a couple each of Norinco and Polytech.  All were under the 308 field dimension and the two not replaced with USGI bolts really have not had headspace changed since they were new.

Warbird Custom Guns out of Texas used to be the place to get the Chinese bolt conversion done and he did my two.   I can't tell you if he is still taking work.
View Quote

he is, as of last fall.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
If you end up with it OP, and decide you wanna trade it off. I am interested…
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I sold mine on GB for $1,300
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My Poly has been fine on headspace and works fine in a GI stock. Only thing I have done is replace the rear sight components. I do have spare TG group parts and an M14 bolt if I ever need it though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Tim Strait at Warbirds in Texas. I had him rebarrel a Chinese M14 and install a new bolt and etc.  He does excellent work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tim Strait at Warbirds in Texas. I had him rebarrel a Chinese M14 and install a new bolt and etc.  He does excellent work.
View Quote

why did you rebarrel?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Can’t speak for previous post but I had Tim install all USGI parts on my polytec to get it as close to usgi spec.  

I got lucky and found a complete parts kit
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Scout M1A and a Polytech for an AK? I don't know why you are hesitating. Get to it!
View Quote

I told him it was a go. Now I just have to meet up with him, and hope nothing falls through.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I sold mine on GB for $1,300
View Quote

Damn, that's double what they used to go for new. Of course, so is everything else now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

he is, as of last fall.
View Quote

I was corresponding with him about some work this past January and then one of my emails came back as undeliverable. I tried again a couple of times with the same result. About a month or so ago I tried to email him back for the heck of it and it too came back as undeliverable. [email protected] if anyone else wants to try or has better luck
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My Poly has been fine on headspace and works fine in a GI stock. Only thing I have done is replace the rear sight components. I do have spare TG group parts and an M14 bolt if I ever need it though.
View Quote

This. The stock is made of soft wood.  The rear sight is crap,  it is not hard to have the windage and elevation detents very easy to move with recoil
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I've measured hundreds of USGI M14 bolts, besides wear, they were all -pretty much the same (unlike M1 Garand bolts) except, Winchester M14 bolts.

Winchester bolts usually fit, with acceptable, snug headspace, in Chinese receivers with Chinese barrels.

When changing barrels, USGI bolts are easily used.

The receivers are very close to US specs, but the barrels are bolts differ.

The original semi-auto Chinese receivers did not look like GI receivers at all.

The importer was disappointed and claimed the first receivers were dangerous and recalled them from the distributors.

The Chinese M14 parts are surplus parts from the 1960's.

The first receivers may have been made of the chromium steel used for AK receivers.

The later, "stronger" Chinese receivers have the correct look and made of a modern, stronger steel.

USGI receivers are made of a chromium - nickel steel.

The first Chinese semi-auto receivers were round on the scope mount side, with a non-threaded hole  with a large Norinco logo and possibly blued (very shiny), not Parkerized.

The importer didn't want those to represent the imports and recalled them, claiming they couldn't pass proof firing.

In Canada I saw the early Chinese M14 imports had the original select fire receivers, with the selector lug machined off of them.

The remaining US imported semi-auto receivers were made of better steel and retained the GI look, in shape and finish.

Canada also got new semi-auto receivers later too.

The US did get some, "law enforcement" select fire Chinese M14's imported.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#28]
No advertising outside of the ee. Post had nothing to do with op's topic. TTM

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Cocked an Locked let me shoot his years ago at an ARFCom event. Sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
The barrel looked like it had a crack at the chamber so my friend had pulled the bolt out of the rifle to prevent it from being fired. He lost the bolt and he gave me the rifle. I took it to Tim with the replacement barrel he suggested and a Bula bolt. He removed the old barrel and installed the new barrel, bolt, and a few other parts. The barrel that he removed wasn’t cracked. It had a machine mark on it that looked like a crack from the outside of the barrel.

Quoted:

why did you rebarrel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why did you rebarrel?

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Years ago I used to collect Chinese M14's and bare Chinese M14 receivers.

Back then I would buy boxes full of USGI M14 bolts.

I would pick out the Winchester bolts for the Chinese M14's.

The other makes of USGI bolts were consistently larger, but many Chinese M14's would allow dropping in of Winchester bolts, even though they were usually slightly snugger fitting than the Chinese bolts, they often fit, unlike the other USGI M14 bolts.

If changing barrels, any USGI bolt can be used.

The Chinese barrels aren't bad and the Chinese op rods aren't bad.

I would change the bolts, gas cylinders, gas pistons, gas cylinder plug, spindle valve and often the trigger groups.

With the Chinese barrel, use the Chinese gas cylinder lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top