Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2018 2:43:26 PM EDT
My form 1 can is Titanium, Stainless monocore, and steel mount, I was wondering if something i should worry about is corrosion due to dissimiliar metals, I know theres no electricity present which is what usually causes galvanic corrosion, correct? It's just something that a friend brought up when talking to him about building a can. I am thinking of having this can perm attached to a barrel, and want to make sure nothing bad will happen over the life of the can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
With that metal mixture, you will be lucky if that doesn’t immediately turn into a van de graaf generator and spit lightning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The dissimilarity will not cause an issue. Just be sure to lube the threads.

Not too keen on an Aluminum mount, however. Your barrels threads will be much harder metals and wear those threads in a fair amount of time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dissimilarity will not cause an issue. Just be sure to lube the threads.

Not too keen on an Aluminum mount, however. Your barrels threads will be much harder metals and wear those threads in a fair amount of time.
View Quote
Sorry, I appologize, my mount is Steel, i checked it last night.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Edit: Wrong chart
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte bridging the two dissimilar metals somewhere.  Water generally picks up some ions  but I'd expect any condensate in a can to be short lived and no where near something like seawater. Titanium and stainless are very close on the galvanic series so no worries there. Normal steel is also more on cathodic side.  Aluminum would be an anodic metal very susceptible in a galvanic couple.

So as was already suggested keep the thread and adjacent area joints greased to displace or prevent the penetration of water and for long periods of storage or disuse perhaps spray it out with WD40.  For those joints of a permanent nature you can wet install with epoxy primer and when that cures it acts as a dielectric insulator between dissimilar metals.  I'm not sure where you can get small quantities of epoxy primer though.  It's a fairly common practice in aerospace to wet install dissimilar metal fasteners in this way.

Having a golden rod or desiccant in your safe is always good practice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Great Response by Kalmar! +1

Might be more of an issue for coastal areas but majority of time firearms are stored in a safe, not on the roof of a building exposed to elements and atmosphere.

Luckily for Californians, suppressors are illegal so there is no worry of galvanization in SF Bay Area!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The best data I can find is for Ti3 - not sure if this describes solid, metallic titanium.  It has an electrode potential of -1.37.  The iron in steel is the important metal, and iron’s electrode potential is -0.44.  That’s a noticeable, yet not huge difference in potential.  Compared to aluminum and steel, (-1.67 and -0.44), it’s less of an issue.

Now, how important is galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals in contact in a suppressor?  For galvanic corrosion to occur, the dissimilar metals must a) be in electrical contact, and b) have an electrolyte present between them.  For aluminum and steel, the electrolyte can be simply water with some contaminants.  I have seen this on electronic equipment, and it’s nasty.  Note: don’t install aluminum rack panels with steel screws if you haven’t first made sure the room doesn’t get wet when it rains.

In a suppressor you have a few things going on that are likely to be more protective than problematic.  Like high heat cooking off any environmental/atmospheric moisture.  And the inside of a (non .22 LR) can isn’t likely to get wet on purpose.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Just use a non-conductive grease between all the parts, baby simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top