Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 2:09:53 PM EDT
I remember the thread in GD a little while back on cmp getting in a big shipment of winchester garands. People were saying that was the last shipment of quality garands then theyd be bringing in ones from the philipines that are not as good. I didnt get in on the winchesters and really want one.

Is cmp still selling quality winchesters or will they be in the future? Or did I miss that boat?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You are close enough to drive to the store in Anniston depending on what part of Florida you are in.  Last week the South store had 10 Winnies in stock.  5 SG and 4 FG.  That would be your best option for getting one.

South Store report 5-10-18
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are close enough to drive to the store in Anniston depending on what part of Florida you are in.  Last week the South store had 10 Winnies in stock.  5 SG and 4 FG.  That would be your best option for getting one.

South Store report 5-10-18
View Quote
Is that the one in alabama ? 8 hours away
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is that the one in alabama ? 8 hours away
View Quote
Yup.

I drove from Texas to get an IHC and a Winnie when they had them, twice!  First trip they had no IHC's.  So I bought an early Winnie and an M1D.  Two weeks later the IHCs were back in stock so I left as soon as I got off work at 1530. Arrived in Anniston at about 0330 and was at the front door by 0730.  Made it back home by 2000.  That was a looooong day of driving but was worth it.  Got a nice IHC with a beautiful SA/NFR stock and a Winchester gas cylinder.  All the major parts were IHC as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I mail ordered a field grade M1 and just got it today. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'll let you be the judge.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The stock at CMP has always been a mixed bag.  They get what they get and until they open the container and start sorting nobody knows what they have.  Yes, the Philippine guns are going to be rougher than what we're used to seeing.  Tropical climates are hard on guns.  Who knows what the Korean guns will look like, assuming we actually get those some day.  Going to the north or south store is always the best bet but isn't practical for most of us.  The north store is solid 600 miles for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
judging by the video CMP released on the Philippine guns, yes, there are some in rough shape, but apparently there are also a good number that look like they were never even issued. No telling until they're on the shelves.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
CMP rebuilds the dogs, replacing barrels and stocks and everything else as needed. You'll get a new Criterion barrel installed if the old one was toast.

They inspect and grade the rifles that pass inspection. They rebuild rifles that don't.

I would rather buy a M1 with a brand new barrel than a collector.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I mail ordered a field grade M1 and just got it today. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'll let you be the judge.

https://i.imgur.com/Rjzoo8T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AeqVsxs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SQeHPdl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rrBVC5R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/E8addu0.jpg
View Quote
Very nice! Great looking wood. Must be a commercial stock?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
CMP rebuilds the dogs, replacing barrels and stocks and everything else as needed. You'll get a new Criterion barrel installed if the old one was toast.
They inspect and grade the rifles that pass inspection. They rebuild rifles that don't.
I would rather buy a M1 with a brand new barrel than a collector.
View Quote
Yep, all good points.  What sort of M1 you want really depends what you want it for ...

Do you want a reliable and accurate 'shooter' M1 for Matches, SHTF, or home defense ('Get off my lawn!' )?

Or do you want a specific make and grade of M1 to add to the rest of your collection of 'non-shooter' Safe Queens?

Or, possibly, do you just want a 'Wall-hanger' for the Man-Cave to show off to the guys or your Grandkids? If this, then it doesn't matter whether an M1 comes to you with a pitted receiver, a shot-out barrel, and wearing a Hackleberry stock ... or if it even works.

Figure out first what you want a Garand for ... That drives your selection, and ultimately what you'll pay.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very nice! Great looking wood. Must be a commercial stock?
View Quote
I know it's commercial for a fact, without a doubt. For one thing, it's in too good of shape to be GI, at least for a field grade. And second, well, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, all good points.  What sort of M1 you want really depends what you want it for ...

Do you want a reliable and accurate 'shooter' M1 for Matches, SHTF, or home defense ('Get off my lawn!' )?

Or do you want a specific make and grade of M1 to add to the rest of your collection of 'non-shooter' Safe Queens?

Or, possibly, do you just want a 'Wall-hanger' for the Man-Cave to show off to the guys or your Grandkids? If this, then it doesn't matter whether an M1 comes to you with a pitted receiver, a shot-out barrel, and wearing a Hackleberry stock ... or if it even works.

Figure out first what you want a Garand for ... That drives your selection, and ultimately what you'll pay.
View Quote
I want a winchester "wall-hanger". A piece of history. Would love one that actually was used in WWII , original parts and what not. Just want it to function and be able to fire. Doesnt have to be in great shape.

Is there such a thing available still?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Just recieved my field grade. Ww2 springfield, looks like the only part that could have come on that serial is the op rod. Barrel is '44 and the trigger housing is a 50's. I feel like i got what i paid for. It has 3+ muzzle and throat. IMO the hackberry stock is serviceable but lacks any character or beauty. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I want a winchester "wall-hanger". A piece of history. Would love one that actually was used in WWII , original parts and what not. Just want it to function and be able to fire. Doesnt have to be in great shape.

View Quote
Considering you cannot mail order a Winnie atm then the only option is to hit up the south store.  Just watch the link I posted earlier to see what they have.  He posts each Thursday with what they have in stock, with follow ups for Friday and Saturday.  The stores often has things you cannot get via mail order. Rifle and accoutrement wise.  When I picked up my Winchester and M1D they had WWII M1 slings for $6.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
M1 Garand rifles brought back home to the USA from the P.I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-bshef-G8  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Considering you cannot mail order a Winnie atm then the only option is to hit up the south store.  Just watch the link I posted earlier to see what they have.  He posts each Thursday with what they have in stock, with follow ups for Friday and Saturday.  The stores often has things you cannot get via mail order. Rifle and accoutrement wise.  When I picked up my Winchester and M1D they had WWII M1 slings for $6.
View Quote
Thanks.

Im not sure of the terminology and wording that he posts regarding what they have. Ill just report back to this thread for questions on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, so the Service grade rifles are now shipping with new stocks? I got my SG three years ago and it has USGI wood.

Fluffy is right yet again...get them while the gettin's good!

Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I want a winchester "wall-hanger". A piece of history. Would love one that actually was used in WWII, original parts and what not.
Just want it to function and be able to fire. Doesnt have to be in great shape. Is there such a thing available still?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a winchester "wall-hanger". A piece of history. Would love one that actually was used in WWII, original parts and what not.
Just want it to function and be able to fire. Doesnt have to be in great shape. Is there such a thing available still?
"All original parts in USGI wood, and working"?   Unlikely, ... or at least not at any price you'd be willing to pay.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"All original parts in USGI wood, and working"?   Unlikely, ... or at least not at any price you'd be willing to pay.
View Quote
The more Im reading up on these rifles, the more Im realizing what you said
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Service grade HRA from last September I’m happy with her
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks.

Im not sure of the terminology and wording that he posts regarding what they have. Ill just report back to this thread for questions on it.
View Quote
Here is todays inventory and a breakdown of what it means.

WRA = Winchester
SA = Springfield
HRA and IHC  are self explanatory

SG = Service grade
RG = Rack grade
FG = Field grade

SA 6 million rifles are rare so he lists them separate. Last of the post war Springfields.
SA correct is a as issued WWII rifle where all parts and stock are correct for the serial number.

WRA SG 7, RG 6. No WRA barrels or cartouches.

CMP Specials SA, 6

SA FG 13, RG 11, few WWII barrels, one 1941...

HRA FG 2, RG 2

IHC FG 11

SA 6 million, 1

SA Correct, one.

M1C SA SG, 1

M1D WRA RG 1, SA RG 1

M1 Drill, 5

1/2 box cotton slings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WRA = Winchester
SA = Springfield

SG = Service grade
RG = Rack grade
FG = Field grade

SA 6 million rifles are rare so he lists them separate. Last of the post war Springfields.
SA correct is a as issued WWII rifle where all parts and stock are correct for the serial number.

CMP Specials SA, 6

HRA FG 2, RG 2

IHC FG 11

SA 6 million, 1

SA Correct, one.

M1C SA SG, 1

M1D WRA RG 1, SA RG 1

M1 Drill, 5

1/2 box cotton slings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

WRA = Winchester
SA = Springfield

SG = Service grade
RG = Rack grade
FG = Field grade

CMP Specials SA, 6

HRA FG 2, RG 2

IHC FG 11

SA 6 million, 1

SA Correct, one.

M1C SA SG, 1

M1D WRA RG 1, SA RG 1

M1 Drill, 5

1/2 box cotton slings.
That pretty well covers it!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I can’t wait until the Philippine rifles start to hit the shelves.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WRA = Winchester
SA = Springfield

SG = Service grade
RG = Rack grade
FG = Field grade

CMP Specials SA, 6

HRA FG 2, RG 2

IHC FG 11

SA 6 million, 1

SA Correct, one.

M1C SA SG, 1

M1D WRA RG 1, SA RG 1

M1 Drill, 5

1/2 box cotton slings.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can’t wait until the Philippine rifles start to hit the shelves.
View Quote
Howecome? Are they supposed to be good quality?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I got one of each mfn., plus a shooter.  So, I guess it's only fair if I leave it to the rest of you to buy up the current batch of rifles.  LOL...."shooter."  I actually shoot all of them.  Why not?  You only live once.

My service grade repatriated Greek H&R did this.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It will be nice to have them back due to the shear number of them. Quality seems to be mixed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-bshef-G8
View Quote
interesting

here’s my mid-1990’s service grade...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#29]
That one is beautiful. Can you give some details on it?

Did you step foot in one of the cmp stores and pick it up?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#30]
back then, you could order a Service Grade “without” wood for $275

they delivered it FEDEX to my door

I knew a gunshow vendor who invited me to his place, he had a shitload of garand furniture

we found some walnut that fit well —$50

I sprayed the walnut with oven cleaner and refinished with tung oil

the rifle is a springfield frm late dec44 or early jan45
the barrel is HR 1952

I like to imagine it helped push the nazi’s out of western europe and then wore its barrel out mowing down chi-coms & norks at the
frozen chosin

....but my friend say it spent it’s entire career “ guarding the back gate of camp swampy “

best $325 i ever spent

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I knew a gunshow vendor who invited me to his place, he had a shitload of garand furniture

the barrel is HR 1952

I like to imagine it helped push the nazi’s out of western europe and then wore its barrel out mowing down chi-coms & norks at the
frozen chosin

....but my friend say it spent it’s entire career “ guarding the back gate of camp swampy “

best $325 i ever spent

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/292253F0-7969-4ECF-8874-0514BA06BCD1-584023.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/C373AFE4-98A2-4063-9531-6239071EE1AA-584024.JPG
View Quote
Cool story. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#32]
How come all the rifles in this thread don't have lockbar rear sight? I received my 2 field grades mail order 2 months ago, one has lockbar. I thought all the WW2 garands until late war should have lockbar rear sights and should be common. No?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You got lucky. Not very many lockbars were made. Most were removed during rebuilds.
View Quote
I think more Garands were initially built with lockbars than not- all WWII rifles had them- someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Post war sights, as you wrote, were almost always installed at post war rebuild- easier to use and easier/cheaper to produce. They became standard on

all Garands made in the 1950s. Some lockbars obviously escaped being removed and replaced because they show up from time to time on CMP rifles. It is

similar to getting an uncut op rod I'd think.

About 4 years ago I ordered 2 SA SGs. Both rifles came with lockbars, and one (8/44) had an uncut op rod and the original barrel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the barrel is HR 1952

frozen chosin

best $325 i ever spent

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/292253F0-7969-4ECF-8874-0514BA06BCD1-584023.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/C373AFE4-98A2-4063-9531-6239071EE1AA-584024.JPG
I never get tired of looking at that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
last time I was at the northstore - about this time last year - they had a ton of welded up drill rifles. They had super early ones, winnies, etc. You could start there depending on how big of a project you want to get it to fire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I was at the north store last Thursday. They have almost two full racks of drill rifles but were not well stocked (less than a full rack) of SG/ FG. They did have a full rack of M1D & M1C's. Hopefully the recently acquired rifles will start appearing to at least give store visitors more options.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Service grade from January 2018

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Just drove to the South store today, I'm dumb Anniston much closer to me than I thought.  Hadn't realized it's a littler cheaper to buy at the store, so a rack grade decided to come back home for the ride.  Pics in a bit, 517xxx SN SA.  Looked a little unique to me, so I chose it from around 40-50 other rifles.  The rebuilt service grade ones looked pretty, but more than I wanted to spend on something I'll probably never shoot.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just drove to the South store today, I'm dumb Anniston much closer to me than I thought.  Hadn't realized it's a littler cheaper to buy at the store, so a rack grade decided to come back home for the ride.  Pics in a bit, 517xxx SN SA.  Looked a little unique to me, so I chose it from around 40-50 other rifles.  The rebuilt service grade ones looked pretty, but more than I wanted to spend on something I'll probably never shoot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180545/19C6E5FA-3C8E-4797-A76E-31BC47D27766-629816.jpg
View Quote
Congrats on that warrior!  Nice looking stock too.  First upgrade is easy:  swap out the CMP op rod spring for an Orion 7 spring. I got a pack of 5 such off Amazon, but then I have several 'shooter' M1s I run hard and need to maintain.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Congrats on that warrior!  Nice looking stock too.  First upgrade is easy:  swap out the CMP op rod spring for an Orion 7 spring. I got a pack of 5 such off Amazon, but then I have several 'shooter' M1s I run hard and need to maintain.
View Quote
Thanks.  I think this is just going to sit and look pretty, but I'm VERY intrigued by the service grade rebuilds.  Just visually checking the receivers they looked very nice.  Probably easier than getting a brand new M1 style, certainly cheaper.  I went with G3 style for my bigger guns, but being close and (relatively) cheap make this a compelling reason to grab some more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#42]
A little bit of zombie thread resurrection...

I'm headed to Anniston for an afternoon meeting on Thursday. I've been trying to get up there and buy a Garand for a few years and it hasn't worked out so I would love to make it happen this trip. I've read the eligibility reqs and need to do something about the CMP affiliated club.

So my questions are:
1. How long does a trip to the store take if you are going in to buy a rifle?
2. Can I apply to GCA at the shop to satisfy that requirement?
3. My meeting that afternoon is at Anniston Army depot so I don't need to bring my new rifle with me when I leave the store. Will they hold the rifle until I pick it up that afternoon on the way out of town or do they mail the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm headed to Anniston for an afternoon meeting on Thursday. I've been trying to get up there and buy a Garand for a few years and it hasn't worked out so I would love to make it happen this trip. I've read the eligibility reqs and need to do something about the CMP affiliated club.

So my questions are:
3. My meeting that afternoon is at Anniston Army depot so I don't need to bring my new rifle with me when I leave the store. Will they hold the rifle until I pick it up that afternoon on the way out of town or do they mail the rifle?
View Quote
They will mail you the rifle if you choose, and you can join the GCA now and use the confirmation e-mail as a proof of membership.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody been to the South Store recently? Just wondering what they have over there currently.

I plan on making my first trip over there in the next couple of months for a m1 Garand.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#45]
My son is going to the South Store in April to get himself an M1. Maybe two of them.

I ordered one about a year ago and I was so pleased I felt like I won the lotto.
I'll dig up pics later today.
GI replacement stock of some sort, a little wear but really cool.
January 44 Springfield with a '46 barrel.
Great finish and mechanically perfect.
Muzzle and throat both 1 I think.

Best $730 I ever spent one a gun !!

Yes the CMP still has great rifles !!
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anybody been to the South Store recently? Just wondering what they have over there currently.

I plan on making my first trip over there in the next couple of months for a m1 Garand.
View Quote
This weeks selection.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=240235

You can go the forums and look up the CMP South Store forums and get the weekly choices.
http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They will mail you the rifle if you choose, and you can join the GCA now and use the confirmation e-mail as a proof of membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So my questions are:
They won't ship an in-store purchase anymore unless you're flying and have your plane ticket with you as proof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top