Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Like a magpul forend?
View Quote
Dunno.

How much is the Magpul part?

Try it and report back to us.”!

I would think citric acid would not destroy polymer as long as you don’t leave it on too long?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the op in this thread, it turned his black mag a grey color.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Removing_Krylon_From_Magpul_Plastic____/19-367697/

People report using brake cleaner and hoppes is a good choice if your stripping off paint from a magpul part. I would test it on a magpul mag floor plate, trigger guard, or something else cheap as a test bed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I actually just sprayed a gun with a magpul fore end. I was just asking in anticipation of having to strip it later on down the road. I know at some point I will get bored and want to repaint it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I actually just sprayed a gun with a magpul fore end. I was just asking in anticipation of having to strip it later on down the road. I know at some point I will get bored and want to repaint it.
View Quote
I’d degrease it using dawn soap and water. Then light spray of carb cleaner followed by sand blast using 100-120grit media.

I’d recommend a base coast of a earth tone cerakote.

You can then add krylon paint over for the season.

When done, rubbing alcohol can strip the krylon camo paint. Actually, as the camo flakes off it adds to the camo pattern.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’d degrease it using dawn soap and water. Then light spray of carb cleaner followed by sand blast using 100-120grit media.

When done, rubbing alcohol can strip the krylon camo paint. Actually, as the camo flakes off it adds to the camo pattern.
View Quote
I just sprayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner. I've done a couple of guns that way, so far so good. This is a cheap PSA gun that will be a beater/trunk gun so I'm no super concerned with its longevity. Thats how I know its going to have to be redone at some point.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just sprayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner. I've done a couple of guns that way, so far so good. This is a cheap PSA gun that will be a beater/trunk gun so I'm no super concerned with its longevity. Thats how I know its going to have to be redone at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’ll work too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Citri-Strip removed 87 layers of camo paint from my rifle, Aimpoint, and a few mags, all without issue. I ended up dyeing the FDE Magpul parts black, using Rit dye.

I tried brake cleaner, but I think that the thickness of the paint was more than it could handle. Citri-Strip was much easier to use; just spray it on and set it out in the sun. After it bubbles up, wash it off in water and loosen it with a soft brush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top