Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2019 12:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wi_Yeti]
I shoot well with the guns I have (mostly 26”-30”) but don’t have any experience with shorter barrels. Just looking for something fun to bring when I get my salvo. I don’t want buy something I won’t use so if I can’t use it past 20+ yards with 7.5 or 8 shot, it would probably be a no-go. I was hoping some of you had experience shooting.

I cross posted in @ptaylor thread, because he basically has what I’m going for and has shot trap with it but didn’t give to much info. I figured to get more answers I’d make a new thread. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

ETA: so I’ve been shooting my 12.5 870 with and without the salvo with a modified choke in... god damn is this thing awesome. After 1500+ rounds between 5 stand, skeet and sportys, i love it. I was recording my rounds at first but gave up after I was consistently shooting around 22-23

Hit 6 perfect scores in 5 stand and 2 50/50 in sportys but considering last year was the first time ever even getting a perfect score, I think I’ve done well. I seem to alway choke up on the last one or two clays and have plenty of 24/23s

I was way over thinking everything and getting all hyped up from reviews online about weight/ length and how it’s not ideal.. I think that’s all bull. Yes it’s heavier with the salvo on and the swing at first feels “off”, but you let your instincts overcome it and you forget that it’s even on the end of it. Imo

Would 100% recommend anyone to do the same. Definitely my #1 most used suppressor as well. Not in round count but I just get out of the house more to shoot clays than to shoot paper.

Anyways thought I’d update.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want it to actually be good or bust a few clays for fun? We talking regulation Trap or throwing clays with buddies? With screw in chokes I am sure you can make it work but I doubt it will be anywhere near good. I have shot a lot of trap with 18" cylinder barrels and it is a challenge. Back when I actually shot trap I could usually do 23-24/25 with my trap gun but getting above 20 with the 18" was tough. A tighter choke would have made a little difference probably.

I have tried my Safety Harbor 8" on hand thrown stuff and it and I are not a good match for clays. No stock and no barrel isn't a good combo turns out. I do a little better with the Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:06:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wi_Yeti] [#2]
Regulation. Mostly skeet cause i feel like that’s the closest I can pretty much get to the clays. I would definitely be using a full choke

ETA: also I’m not looking to shoot 25s but I don’t want to go from mid 20’s and up, to 10 or less. I would definitely find that frustrating and wouldn’t find it fun
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking to be competitive? You won’t know until you pattern it. I’ve seen guys guys break clays back as far as 26’ with a sbs but my gut says that’s unicorn stuff.

With skeet you are definitely up close and personal. It’d be fun either way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The only person I’d try to beat is myself. Definitely won’t shoot for score with a sbs
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
But I’d rather only buy one if i was using skill to shoot clays and not one or two lucky bbs flying
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of the more "Snooty" Skeet clubs prohibit shooting birds with Short Barrels..

Austin Skeet Club defined that as anything less than 26"...
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm confused, do you want it for skeet or trap?  You said you were going to use full choke for skeet?  You want an open choke for skeet and tighter choke for trap. Either way it's not optimal but fun and optimal don't have to intersect.  I don't think your average shooter will ever achieve consistent mid 20's with a short barrel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:07:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:
Some of the more "Snooty" Skeet clubs prohibit shooting birds with Short Barrels..

View Quote
That's funny, one of the most iconic fowling and sporting shotguns is the Churchill and that has 25" barrels.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:36:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Madcap72] [#9]
Takes something like 14" to make full chamber pressure, and the longer the barrel the better the follow through so...

Yea based on what you're looking to do a SBS would be pretty pointless, especially when you could do better with a $200 off the pawn shop rack Model 12.

eta- looking at it the M4 sbs is 14" so you'd barely be making peak pressure from what I've ran across. Maybe you'd make enough velocity to break clays, maybe you wouldn't, especially on longer shots.  Round is the worst SD for ammo, so the higher starting velocity the better, and the choke will dictate the pattern.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:28:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wi_Yeti] [#10]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

View Quote
I know the owner of the club I go to. I’m pretty sure his only rules are to be safe and don’t drink alcohol at the station lol

Originally Posted By Dodgedthecoathanger:
I'm confused, do you want it for skeet or trap?  You said you were going to use full choke for skeet?  You want an open choke for skeet and tighter choke for trap. Either way it's not optimal but fun and optimal don't have to intersect.  I don't think your average shooter will ever achieve consistent mid 20's with a short barrel.
View Quote
I was asking in general about shooting clays I guess, didn’t realize made a huge confusion.

And yes, you want to use a skeet choke for skeet... on a normal trap gun. On a shorter barrel I assumed your spread opens up quicker, yes? I want an advantage of having your group to stay together as long as possible, having a full choke is the best bet
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#11]
I respectfully suggest the OP read this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Clays-Skeet-trap-and-other-things-to-do-with-a-shotgun/1-426141/

(IN before all the "I went trap shooting once and showed up all the old guys with their $10,000 over/unders using only my 18" Mossberg" stories . . . )

BTW, I've shot skeet with short barrel home defense type guns. It's completely do-able, but your scores probably won't be as good as they'd be with a more appropriate gun. Trap? Talk about a handicap. You're setting yourself up for disappointment using the wrong gun . . .

If you're shooting pasture clays, it's all good. If you're actually shooting the games then use the appropriate tool. Horses for courses . . .

Also, you'll be a turd in the punchbowl at most clubs if you haven't already established your bona fides . . .
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
... you'll be a turd in the punchbowl at most clubs...
View Quote
That right there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
A trap gun is for trap and only trap not good for anything else. Skeet is a different story, you can shoot skeet with about any shotgun with skeet or cylinder chokes, that will allow for a quick follow up shot, because you shoot doubles ( high and low house birds are launches at the same time) on stations 1,2 6,and 7.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Wi_Yeti:

I know the owner of the club I go to. I’m pretty sure his only rules are to be safe and don’t drink alcohol at the station lol

I was asking in general about shooting clays I guess, didn’t realize made a huge confusion.

And yes, you want to use a skeet choke for skeet... on a normal trap gun. On a shorter barrel I assumed your spread opens up quicker, yes? I want an advantage of having your group to stay together as long as possible, having a full choke is the best bet
View Quote
I've been shooting in the low to mid 20s with an 870 that is fitted with an 18" riot barrel since I was a kid , on skeet. Pull it out when I want to play.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#15]
I have a 14” Benelli M2 with a cowittness RMR on it. I shot about 40% with it from the short 16 yard line.

Conversely, I shot about 80% with my 26” Benelli Montefeltero upland gun that very same day, it s also equipped with a red dot (Burris Speed Bead).

Given that both guns were mini red dot equipped and of similar make (M2 receivers) I’m sure most of the difference was the poor patterning.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Ah, you mean “short-barreled shotgun.” Thought you meant “side-by-side.”
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:
Ah, you mean “short-barreled shotgun.” Thought you meant “side-by-side.”
View Quote
Side by side is usually abbreviated SxS
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I respectfully suggest the OP read this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Clays-Skeet-trap-and-other-things-to-do-with-a-shotgun/1-426141/

Also, you'll be a turd in the punchbowl at most clubs if you haven't already established your bona fides . . .
View Quote
Thanks for the help but my club has trap, skeet, 5 stand and sportys. My friends and I guess generalize them and just say “hey wanna go trap shooting tomorrow?” Then we go and shoot sportys.. I hardly ever shoot trap now that I think of it.

As for a turd in the punch bowl lol, I wouldn’t care what “joe” thinks of it. I’m not someone who stands out in any way right now besides being a regular. Our club isn’t high prep. Mostly everyone there is there to enjoy shooting guns while enjoying a beer afterwards. Nobody that I hang out with at least cares what the hell Joe Shmoe is using. We go to get out of the house and have fun.

If I were to go through with this, I’d be known as a guy “with” a sbs. Not “the” guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.theboxotruth.com/barrel-length-shotgun-affect-velocity/

Also read the testing he did with short/long barrels with the same chokes. It is hyperlinked in that article.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a real deal 1897 Trenchgun. I also have one I made with original parts minus the bomb stamp.

I take the latter everytime I go to shoot trap skeet or clays. I usualyy shoot one round. then a bunch ask to use it for a round.

Had one guy thats really good at skeet. He tried it and dropped 3. Then he saw the bayo and asked if he could attach it. He said it wasnt the site radius. The sxtra weight of the bayo smotthed out his swing and he shot a 25. He said he had to concentrate a lot ledd on follow through with it on. It just happened.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wi_Yeti] [#21]
So I’ve been shooting my 12.5 870 with and without the salvo with a modified choke in... god damn is this thing awesome. After 1500+ rounds between 5 stand, skeet and sportys, i love it. I was recording my rounds at first but gave up after I was consistently shooting around 22-23

Hit 6 perfect scores in 5 stand and 2 50/50 in sportys but considering last year was the first time ever even getting a perfect score, I think I’ve done well. I seem to alway choke up on the last one or two clays and have plenty of 24/23s

I was way over thinking everything and getting all hyped up from reviews online about weight/ length and how it’s not ideal.. I think that’s all bull. Yes it’s heavier with the salvo on and the swing at first feels “off”, but you let your instincts overcome it and you forget that it’s even on the end of it. Imo

Would 100% recommend anyone to do the same. Definitely my #1 most used suppressor as well. Not in round count but I just get out of the house more to shoot clays than to shoot paper.

Anyways thought I’d update.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
That's awesome man I am glad it all worked out. The looks and comments I used to get from customers when I told them that barrel length didn't really matter on new guns was always fun. Some people just want to believe that their favorite barrel length is the only one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#24]
So I’ve been shooting my 12.5 870 with and without the salvo with a modified choke in... god damn is this thing awesome. After 1500+ rounds between 5 stand, skeet and sportys, i love it. I was recording my rounds at first but gave up after I was consistently shooting around 22-23

Hit 6 perfect scores in 5 stand and 2 50/50 in sportys but considering last year was the first time ever even getting a perfect score, I think I’ve done well. I seem to alway choke up on the last one or two clays and have plenty of 24/23s   . . .
View Quote
OK. I'm selling my shotguns and taking up a new hobby now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#25]
At the end of the day neither the gun nor birds care what length the barrel is. If you are consistently breaking 20+ then it’s working. “For you”...and that is all that matters.

The snooty shooters that think they are good but realy aren’t can’t stand that shit.
My father was a natural with a shotgun. He shot in a Skeet league for a few years. He used one gun and only one.
A rattle can camo painted Browning A-5 with a 26” barrel.

He won the leagues “most straights” trophy nearly every year. Shot 100/100 several times and 50/50 was pretty common.

Enjoy..
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
Who did the barrel and bead work? I have a 12.5” I need to get choked for my salvo.
View Quote
Rose action sports.

The owner is a member here. User name is GunCat

@Norinco982lover
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
That's awesome man I am glad it all worked out. The looks and comments I used to get from customers when I told them that barrel length didn't really matter on new guns was always fun. Some people just want to believe that their favorite barrel length is the only one.
View Quote
Haha thanks.

The looks I get from some people is kinda scary. Had too many people say stupid things about why I had it in the first place, that I don’t need it/ shouldn’t have it, etc.

On the other hand had plenty of people get really excited and I was more than happy to let them shoot it
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#29]

OK. I'm selling my shotguns and taking up a new hobby now.
View Quote
Why would you sell them? You’re gonna need em
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
At the end of the day neither the gun nor birds care what length the barrel is. If you are consistently breaking 20+ then it’s working. “For you”...and that is all that matters.

The snooty shooters that think they are good but realy aren’t can’t stand that shit.
My father was a natural with a shotgun. He shot in a Skeet league for a few years. He used one gun and only one.
A rattle can camo painted Browning A-5 with a 26” barrel.

He won the leagues “most straights” trophy nearly every year. Shot 100/100 several times and 50/50 was pretty common.

Enjoy..
View Quote
That’s awesome, and thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

I always hear his name why am I surprised!

I need to get mine sent!
View Quote
Not only did he cut it and put a new bead on but I also had an oopsie... ended up sending it in for engraving and came back with a big ding from shipping. Sent it off to RAS and he banged it out and made her pretty again
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Not only did he cut it and put a new bead on but I also had an oopsie... ended up sending it in for engraving and came back with a big ding from shipping. Sent it off to RAS and he banged it out and made her pretty again
View Quote
I remember that blunder!  I followed that thread and was very impressed with the quality of the repair.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:49:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#33]
I think I'll go to the range this week with the Benelli and see how I do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:06:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#34]
Shooting for fun with my buddies and his electric thrower, I can hit about 80% of clays with my 20" Win 1897.

If I actually wan't to get as many as I can, I'll go with my Beretta Al391 with a 30" barrel and proper choke setup and shoot 23-25.

ETA: Now I want to take the ol' 97 in trench gun formation to a trap shoot and see what people think!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top