Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2020 6:43:17 PM EDT
So I was curious about this.  Whenever I decided to get rid of a firearm from my collection I always ship through UPS Ground.  The post office by me has always been a hassle about shipping firearms.  The UPS people are always really cool, though.

The issue is UPS is kind of a hike.  That and I am not allowed to have a firearm in my vehicle at work, so when I do get rid of something and receive payment I have to run straight home from work, grab the gun, then run it back out to UPS.  Obviously this isn't a huge deal since I'm not an FFL and am not shipping multiple guns a month or anything, but on the limited occasion I do sell something it can just be annoyingly inconvenient.

There is a FedEx office location by me that is always open early in the AM.  It'd be much easier if I when I do have to ship something if I can drop it off there on my way into work in the morning.

The issue is I have heard conflicting reports about shipping through FedEx.  I know all handguns need to be next day air and can't be sent through USPS.  On the rare occasion I do get rid of a handgun I just let my FFL handle the shipping and everything.  But I have been told by multiple FFLs that I can ship a long gun via FedEx Ground.  They said I can do that even as an unlicensee.  Going online some sites say a nonlicensee can only ship any type of firearm via air through FedEx.  FedEx's website just says a nonlicensee can ship a firearm to any FFL/licensee in another state.  I've also had to send a few guns back to manufacturers to have repairs done and they always sent me pre-paid FedEx labels.  When I take the gun to FedEx they tell me I can't ship it via Ground, but when I tell them the manufacturer sent me the label they say it's fine since it's done through their manufacturer account or something.

So I am just curious what the real story is?  Am I, as a nonlicensee, allowed to ship a long gun to an FFL in another state via FedEx Ground or no?

I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have through a FedEx Ground hub, I doubt a FedEx Office location will handle it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....  Am I, as a nonlicensee, allowed to ship a long gun to an FFL in another state via FedEx Ground or no?
View Quote

Sure you can, the FedEx tariff says so. Its handguns that FedEx requires Overnight.
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
FedEx Tariff Scroll down to read Ground tariff for firearms
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have through a FedEx Ground hub, I doubt a FedEx Office location will handle it.
View Quote

Sure they will, all FedEx Office locations are company owned.
UPS Stores are franchisees and per UPS tariff cannot ship firearms or ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FedEx Offices will handle firearms, but oddly they will not handle ammo.  I know they take firearms because I had a couple I had to send back to manufacturers for repairs or for work to be done and the manufacturers would send me pre-paid FedEx labels.  I'd take them to the FedEx Office and state it's a firearm going back to the manufacturer for repair and they'd accept it since it was "from the manufacturer's account."

Quoted:

Sure you can, the FedEx tariff says so. Its handguns that FedEx requires Overnight.
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
FedEx Tariff Scroll down to read Ground tariff for firearms

Thank you for those links, DogtownTom!  I've never seen that tariff piece.  I'll have to screenshot that for the future.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes but not in every state and not every ffl will accept.  So call and ask first.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The FedEx Offices will handle firearms, but oddly they will not handle ammo...
View Quote

Sure they will, you just need to educate that hippy chick.
G.   FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I use shipmygun.com.  cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Virtually any gun dealer in the country can do it cheaper than shipmygun.com
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

G.   FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks again, DogtownTom!  I just found this, though, and it doesn't look like all offices will accept ammo: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/service-guide/dangerous-goods/how-to-ship.html

The place by me is a Print and Ship Center.

You can drop off dangerous goods at some, but not all, staffed FedEx locations. To find one in your area go to Find FedEx Locations; enter your location; then select “Dangerous goods shipping.” If not dropped off at a staffed location that accepts dangerous goods, your shipment must be tendered to FedEx Express via a scheduled pickup at the customer location.

Dangerous goods shipments, including dry ice, are not allowed at FedEx® Drop Box locations, FedEx Office® Print and Ship Center locations, FedEx Authorized ShipCenter® locations, FedEx OnSite locations, or FedEx ShipSite® locations, with the following exceptions:

Or I may be incorrect and ammo is not technically a "dangerous good."?

I do know that I got a lot of pushback when I tried to ship ammo once at the Print and Ship center but they told me I could put it in a Drop Box  I ended up just making a new label and shipping it UPS Ground.

Quoted:

I've used them a couple times for handguns.  Good prices for a nonlicensee to ship a handgun.  For long guns, though, I just use UPS as their ground prices aren't much more than SMG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top