Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2021 8:47:09 PM EDT
Hello gang-

Posted a question about this in GD, but perhaps this is a beter place. I purchased a Howa barreled action. This was never an assembled rifle, the previous owner purchased it as a barreled action with 20" barrel. It was received at my LGS in the original box, which is labeled as "BA" for barreled action. They insist on logging it as a rifle, because, "All you would need to do is add a stock and you have a rifle." My goal was to cut the barrel and use the "Elf Owl" chassis with brace from JTAC.

I was convinced they are in the wrong, but now I'm less sure. If it were not barreled, it should absolutely be logged as a "receiver," per ATF. Does having a rifle-length barrel change that despite never having been in a stock?

I appreciate your guidance...
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
With the caveat that I am not a lawyer, (which never stopped me before), I would say that back in the day, it would not qualify as a rifle.

It doesn't have a stock, so it was obviously not designed to shoot from the shoulder, and barrel length is irrelevant.

However, things seem to change rapidly these days.  What was once clearly legal is now some what murky.

I could add a stock to any of my handguns, but that does not make them a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be transferred as "other" on the 4473
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It should be logged as an "other". It does not meet the definition of a rifle, as it is currently configured.  Yes, if a shoulder stock were to be assembled on it, then it would be a rifle, but as is, no rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should be transferred as "other" on the 4473
View Quote

this

but considering i'm not a lawyer, who is really gonna ask questions about it in the long run? is the local gun range gonna pull the 4473 when you want to shoot it?

edit: i'm not saying make it a short barrel rifle but if it did not ship in a stock and was labeled as a firearm or anything besides a rifle then you can take what ever liberties you are comfortable with taking
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It is an other on the 4473 but yes it is treated like any other rifle
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an other on the 4473 but yes it is treated like any other rifle
View Quote

No, it is not treated like a rifle, because it is not one. It cannot be sold by the dealer to someone under twenty-one years old, or directly to an out of state resident (could be bought, then transfered to an out of state FFL).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top