Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2019 5:44:18 PM EDT
I've got a project that only using a #209 primer and a lead ball. It currently is muzzleloading for legal reasons, but it could just as easily be breech loading.
Are there any breech loading #209 powered airguns that are breech loading?

My project
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/My-Suppressed-Short-Barrel-Volley-Gun-Project/16-506173/?page=1
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle loader if loaded from the muzzle.  If loaded from the breach it would be a firearm* that does not use a self contained cartridge.  Since there is a burning propellent, it is not an airgun.  For something to be an airgun, room temperature gas (at the start) must be compressed somehow and released to propel the projectile.  Now the gas is usually air, but can be carbon dioxide, or helium (or other gas).

* Now whether the ATF considers such to be a firearm, that may not be the case.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Muzzle loader if loaded from the muzzle.  If loaded from the breach it would be a firearm* that does not use a self contained cartridge.  Since there is a burning propellent, it is not an airgun.  For something to be an airgun, room temperature gas (at the start) must be compressed somehow and released to propel the projectile.  Now the gas is usually air, but can be carbon dioxide, or helium (or other gas).

* Now whether the ATF considers such to be a firearm, that may not be the case.
View Quote
I noticed while the ones I was looking at were break action, that was only for loading the 209 primer. They also had a ramrod for loading the pellet. So they would be muzzle loaders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top